Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first one today (a Hero 4 Silver) in anticipation of when I get my SL, so I only have what it came with at this point. I was curious where, how and equipment (mounts) were being used on the windshield bracket and back by the fin between the driver and passenger so that if I don't have what I need, I can make sure I have it on hand.

I got some Ram mounts and mounted my other cameras to my Goldwing, but looking to pick up some quick tips here from those that have already done this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Helmet mounts or flat mount can be put anywhere. I have one on 2 of my 6 helmets. A little shaky, but a great perspective.

Clamp mount should work good for any portion of the exposed frame; especially the headrest "roll" bar.

And, the always important suction cup mount. This will stick to almost any flat and clean surface.

You will love having a go-pro! It just takes a little practice on how to edit the videos so that they are more enjoyable for the viewer!

http://shop.gopro.com/mounts?gclid=...W1Dou6dFr_jgRddRYh7bX4y_qb63pEIBQixoCGYHw_wcB

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I use the suction mount to go to about anything smooth with both my GoPro and my Garmin Virb.

Just make sure you get on the smooth surface and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have hours upon hours of video editing, so no worries there, just looking for what folks were using to mount on the Slingshot.
So no worries about the suction cup coming loose if exposed in the slipstream (properly applied of course).

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I like the idea of using the clamp "roll bar" mount. That way you never have to worry about it getting knocked off while you are driving.

I can see a bird smoking it while going over a bridge and.... pooof. It is gone forever. A little drastic, but you get the point.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
@SlingJockey I've had my suction cup mount up to 163 MPH on the lower air dam of a mustang at a race driving school. Many laps around the track, high speed turns etc, it didn't move at all.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impressive Mitch, I guess even the suction cup could stay and the plastic mount itself fail. Murphy can get you if he wants I guess. I think I feel better about a hard mount.

·
Registered
100 Posts
GoPro mount with fixed position power.
I took a black GoPro case and modified it for long term power.
A small drill, dremel, and hobby files cutout the shape of the usb connector.
Any minor gaps can be protected with rubber cement keeping moisture out and can be removed after use.
The usb cable is secured to the support post, doubling as a tether.
The GoPro is mounted to the rear fin half way up and gives an excellent forward view.
The GoPro is now powered by the accessory outlet between the seats and can be operated by smart phone or tablet without the worry of running down the battery too soon.

Just an idea.

IMG_0148.JPG

·
Registered
738 Posts
image.jpeg
I don't understand the need to purchase those expensive third party mounts when you can put it between the seats using the GoPro flat adhesive mount. It is very stable, and close to the power outlet and great view. It almost looks like it was made to go there.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Not that I want to knock anyone's product mine has two advantages, 1) it is by the continual power source. This is important for long trips 2) mine was free and I'd be willing to bet the view just as good. The mount fits there perfectly and almost looks like it was ment for that spot.

·
15 Seconds Of Fame Anywhere You Go
583 Posts
I just bought my first one today (a Hero 4 Silver) in anticipation of when I get my SL, so I only have what it came with at this point. I was curious where, how and equipment (mounts) were being used on the windshield bracket and back by the fin between the driver and passenger so that if I don't have what I need, I can make sure I have it on hand.

I got some Ram mounts and mounted my other cameras to my Goldwing, but looking to pick up some quick tips here from those that have already done this.

Thanks!
RRR is one of our vendors he developed a GoPro mount just for the Slingshot . Check him out on the vendor list before you waste your money. His is awesome

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks @NJ Sling

Yes there are always options when it basically comes to every product known to man. A lot of people use Cameras in the back side direction so if they get rear ended they have proof it wasn't their fault. Just one advantage with this design. With this design you can mount one forward, backwards or any direction to get that ultimate camera shot.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RRR is one of our vendors he developed a GoPro mount just for the Slingshot . Check him out on the vendor list before you waste your money. His is awesome
My posts on this subject are over a year old.... :eek:

While I like RRR's mount clamps, I can't bring myself to pay that much for a clamp. My existing solutions have worked just fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,914 Posts
Not that I want to knock anyone's product mine has two advantages, 1) it is by the continual power source. This is important for long trips 2) mine was free and I'd be willing to bet the view just as good. The mount fits there perfectly and almost looks like it was ment for that spot.
I do you like your solution, hopefully you did not take my comment in a negative manner, because yours does have advantages. The power cord is shorter and easier to secure to minimize flapping. Obviously there is a price of advantage, and it is also more protected from bugs, dust, damage, and other things. You're the first to post it that I've seen.

RRR has the advantages of also being near power, an excellent mounting system that will not come loose regardless of environmental elements, will not interfere with the driver, and it shows the view from the driver's seat without bouncing around like a helmet cam. It can also show the view behind the Slingshot.

The windshield post works, replacing bolts near the storage containers with a RAM ball, suction cup near the rear wing, fender mount, I just happen to like RRR'ssolution for the advantages it provides, and the other solutions that provide different advantages depending on needs. Like you said, it's hard to beat the price of equipment included with the purchase.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do you like your solution, hopefully you did not take my comment in a negative manner, because yours does have advantages. The power cord is shorter and easier to secure to minimize flapping. Obviously there is a price of advantage, and it is also more protected from bugs, dust, damage, and other things. You're the first to post it that I've seen.

RRR has the advantages of also being near power, an excellent mounting system that will not come loose regardless of environmental elements, will not interfere with the driver, and it shows the view from the driver's seat without bouncing around like a helmet cam. It can also show the view behind the Slingshot.

The windshield post works, replacing bolts near the storage containers with a RAM ball, suction cup near the rear wing, fender mount, I just happen to like RRR'ssolution for the advantages it provides, and the other solutions that provide different advantages depending on needs. Like you said, it's hard to beat the price of equipment included with the purchase.
I have mounted mine in the same location as @Publius and have Ram mounts off the Alpha center brace which is where I usually mount mine now. Easy to verify the view it's capturing along with being able to start and stop it easily. I also have a mount off the back end rear deck and I have a mount that I made for recording that damn axle bearing.

I realize supply and demand and uniqueness to the SS can dictate pricing, but even though it's a slick product, the price point is way over what I would pay. Maybe in the $15-$20 range each.

·
Registered
738 Posts
My posts on this subject are over a year old.... :eek:
Yeah but if I started a new thread someone would have posted, "there are plenty of discussions about GoPro camera mount" and likely would have directed the discussion here.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah but if I started a new thread someone would have posted, "there are plenty of discussions about GoPro camera mount" and likely would have directed the discussion here.
My comment was directed at the quote of my post by @NJ Sling

And I'm not chastising him for that, it's just an old post that is no longer relevant for me.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have mounted mine in the same location as @Publius and have Ram mounts off the Alpha center brace which is where I usually mount mine now. Easy to verify the view it's capturing along with being able to start and stop it easily.
yes another key advantage is I can tell what's going on with the camera without having to get out of my seat. But again, I'm not knocking anyone's product. If it works better for you - have at it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts