Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone other than me worried about the reliability of the GM 2.4 engine? Im not trying to be negitive,just been doing some research on the 2.4 DI engine. I really want a Slingshot, but from what I have read about the motor, Im a little concerned . Seems the DI has a habit of leaking gas into the cylinders, diluting the oil. then causing rings, cam chains and cam lobe wear. Someone put my mind at ease!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slink

·
Registered
45 Posts
Never heard about that problem. But since it's a DI engine I would recommend an oil catch can for sure. With the injectors being inside the cylinder there's nothing to clean the back side of the valves off like there would be on a port injection engine. You get oil build up over time.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I tend to be a bit annal. So I started to research everything I could about the Slingshot. Most of the vehicle is so new that it has no track record yet. However Google the GM 2.4 DI . Scares me!!!!!!!!!!

Slink

·
Registered
45 Posts
Where would oil come from other than bad valve guide seals?

Or do even good seals leak a bit?
The oil comes from the PCV system. It happens on every car on the road, but with port injection cars it's not a big deal since the gas being injected before the cylinder cleans the valves.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ah right, thanks.

So how much of a problem is this, for this and/or other DI engines?

Maybe a squirt of induction system cleaner now and then takes care of it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think I have explained the issues that concern me very well. Click on the link below and you will see what I'm talking about.

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=6832.0;all
I read something similar earlier. I'm not too concerned for a few reasons. One, seems that was a problem on earlier model year engines, I didn't find any problems on newer ones. Two, the engines that I keep reading about having that problem are the LAF and LEA engines. The Slingshot appears to use a derivative of the LE5 that didn't have the oil consumption problem.

Not sure if that sets your mind at ease at all, but I don't personally think it will be an issue. I would use an oil catch can as I stated earlier though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What exactly does this look like, where do you put it, and how does it address the problem?
Check this link -

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f64/circuitsports-oil-catch-can-49450/

That little can up front is the catch can on a solstice (same engine as the slingshot). The hose connects where your PCV valve is and runs to the can. When the engine blows oil through system it gets trapped in the can instead of getting sucked up into the intake, heads, and cylinders. Just check the can every once in a while and empty the oil out and you're good to go. I use them on all the cars I drive hard.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check this link -

That little can up front is the catch can on a solstice (same engine as the slingshot). The hose connects where your PCV valve is and runs to the can. When the engine blows oil through system it gets trapped in the can instead of getting sucked up into the intake, heads, and cylinders. Just check the can every once in a while and empty the oil out and you're good to go. I use them on all the cars I drive hard.
I understand how that would help keep the intake valves clean. But it would do nothing to keep gasoline out of the oil.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Check this link -

That's good advice right there, Used them on all of my SRT8's.

Very simple inexpensive effective fix

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also it should be known by all in this thread who are a little misinformed about the Slingshot engine. If you look at the pictures of the engine you will see that the engine is NOT Direct Injected so it will not have any of the issues of the Direct Injected engines.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also it should be known by all in this thread who are a little misinformed about the Slingshot engine. If you look at the pictures of the engine you will see that the engine is NOT Direct Injected so it will not have any of the issues of the Direct Injected engines.
Thanks, thats what I needed to hear!!!!!!!!!! Im excited all over again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Doh.. Yeah, you are right. Didn't bother to look, just got caught up in the pontential problem conversation.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts