Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had trouble with the glove box suddenly opening by itself while underway?

It has happened to us several times. Whoever was passenger quickly closed it so nothing was lost. It happened a couple of times when I was by myself and I reached over and closed it quickly. Thankfully, I was not on the freeway or I would have lost something and might have had an accident trying to close it.

After the first few times we started locking it and figured that solved the problem. Well, it open on me today while it was locked. I'm going to have to fix this before I lose something.

The glove box door does feel heavy. I guess I have too much stuff in it which I'm going to have to clean out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah, it's happened once or twice. The GB is only rated to 5 lbs and that's pretty easy to do with manuals, rags, face shields, beanies, emergency supplies, snacks, drugs, etc. Oops, scratch that - no drugs here occifer.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
That's happened to me a couple of times. I think I, too, have my glovebox over full. Since the hinge is at the back of the glovebox, the latch seems to be very sensitive to how much weight is in the glovebox. IIRC, locking it helps ensure it won't pop open at speed and should keep your docs in the glovebox.:eek:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never noticed the 5 lb cargo limit before. After chavey2 mentioned it, the label jumped out at me.

I took out everything except the documents, the manual, some gum and a packet of Kleenex. The rest of the stuff, gloves, helmet inserts, towel, etc are going behind the seats.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Has anyone else had trouble with the glove box suddenly opening by itself while underway?
YES!!!
Also, if my wife holds her left hand on top of the dash above the glove box, then tries to close the box with her right hand, it won't latch period. She'll mash that thing like 3 times in a row then I'll say "take your hand off the dash". Then it's fine.
It must not have much in the latch that holds it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts