Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yamaha R-1's with the a crossplane crank have it.

I'm wondering if we could do the same with an appropriately designed exhaust system i.e. dual headers/exhaust that pairs cylinders with uneven cylinder firing (may not be ideal for cylinder scavenging but I believe most V8's have been doing it forever without ill effects).

Or a dual exhaust with one quiet muffler and one louder one, so that the cylinders you hear more have the uneven cadence that gives that nice deep V-engine sound.

What gave me this idea was the Honda 305 I had way back when that had Snuff-or-Nots, rotatable washers at the ends of the exhaust pipes that would change it from quiet to open exhaust; sometimes I'd open just one so it would sound like a single.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True enough, but that doesn't affect the sound, it' will sound more like a V8 at low rev's than high.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I talked to the guys at Yoshimura, they recommended we do a Y and go into two of the of the R77 mufflers with 2 inch straight through design

·
Registered
494 Posts
The sound I DO NOT want is the 4 Cyl Import with the SS soup can muffler hanging off the ass end sound.

I am going to talk to the Corsa boys today and ask for their recommendations

·
Registered
839 Posts
So...someone have a idea to make the SS sound a bit more aggressive? In this video the bike is the most aggressive sound!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I don't think you can make any judgement on sound from a video. But I DO want my SS to sound 'right', not necessarily loud or aggressive. If I had my wish, it would sound like a BMW straight 6 with the performance exhaust system.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ala Ducati! Nothing beats the feel and sound of an air cooled Ducati with a beast R intake, full exhaust and a race tuned ECU! The new R1's do make a delicious note. Sadly I don't think we'll get this 4 cyl GM motor to sound like the motorcycles we love.

God, if you're listening.........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts