Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have accumulated, among other things, an Alpha Shorty header and an Alpha cat delete. Originally, I planned to install these parts with the OEM muffler as I prefer quiet. After further reading of the collective wisdom on this forum, I have decided to replace the muffler also. Please suggest a replacement muffler that is quiet...close to stock, and that uses the same below the bike exhaust. I do not want to run a rear exhaust or cut a hole in the side of the SS. BTW, I have a 2016.5. Thank you all for your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
There are two distinct schools of thought here.

1) That the factory exhaust is a fat, bloated, ugly pig (my school of thought as well as others)
2) That you can make do and be happy with the stock exhaust (others here)

So what I can tell you is the Alpha SS exhaust is louder than stock. Not objectionable but louder. And it's got very nice exhaust note. I will record it when I do a road trip on Sunday.

I have never been a fan of stock exhaust systems. They are heavy, ugly and inefficient.

I am sure shortly you will hear screams of disagreement. You decide. :)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Im running 1320 Header, and Cat Delete with the Stock Muffler. I dont mind it, But I think I would prefer something else. I would love the Welter Dual Exhaust out the rear, but cant bring myself to spend that kind of money on something that wouldn't give me that much benefit.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Im running 1320 Header, and Cat Delete with the Stock Muffler. I dont mind it, But I think I would prefer something else. I would love the Welter Dual Exhaust out the rear, but cant bring myself to spend that kind of money on something that wouldn't give me that much benefit.
I just picked up HH/Squirrels parts from Pristine Powdercoating here in Denver today. They had all the exhaust components Cerakoted in a light black and I have to say they look exceptional. If I was going to go with the 1320 and the stock exhaust/cat delete, I would definitely look into Cerakote. The difference in appearance is staggering and the heat reduction coming off the pipe/muffler is well documented.

I have not personally used it before but I have to say I am impressed with the outcome. We'll see if HH/Squirrel agree.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thats a hard one, I have the 1320 and Alpha Side exit and the sound is great, not to loud at all.. Good luck

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I have accumulated, among other things, an Alpha Shorty header and an Alpha cat delete. Originally, I planned to install these parts with the OEM muffler as I prefer quiet. After further reading of the collective wisdom on this forum, I have decided to replace the muffler also. Please suggest a replacement muffler that is quiet...close to stock, and that uses the same below the bike exhaust. I do not want to run a rear exhaust or cut a hole in the side of the SS. BTW, I have a 2016.5. Thank you all for your thoughts.
Before you invest in a new exhaust, check out this thread - Anyone ever cut open a stock muffler?
Although I hope to eventually go forced induction (either turbo or super, no decision), I didn't think modding the stock muffler would work that well, if at all. I must admit I liked the sound of the modded stock muffler.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
There are two distinct schools of thought here.

1) That the factory exhaust is a fat, bloated, ugly pig (my school of thought as well as others)
2) That you can make do and be happy with the stock exhaust (others here)

So what I can tell you is the Alpha SS exhaust is louder than stock. Not objectionable but louder. And it's got very nice exhaust note. I will record it when I do a road trip on Sunday.

I have never been a fan of stock exhaust systems. They are heavy, ugly and inefficient.

I am sure shortly you will hear screams of disagreement. You decide. :)
If you don't already know, Blitz is the master of modification. With only 3.2 miles on his brand new Slingshot, he tore it apart and added a turbine-driven forced induction system, and a lot of other stuff.

We were in his garage looking at his modifications and I asked if we could take it for a ride. "Sure, hop in," he said, and I was going to get a thrill riding in this work of art.

Blitz slid the key into the ignition, then made a "whiirrrrrr" sound with his mouth. "What's that about?" I asked. "Fuel pump pressurizing the system," he said. He moved his hand over the still-dark starter button and made a starter sound.

"Vmmm-vmmmm-vmmm" was the quiet lope from his garage queen as he hit play on the DVD remote, bringing up an image of the road in front of his house. "Here, put these glasses on, don't want bugs in your eyes," he said. Being a guest I obliged, and the flat-screen TV before us was now in 3-D.

He skipped to track 2, picked up another remote, and switched on an industrial box fan. We were driving around his subdivision in 3-D, pretty cool, although slightly odd given we were still in his garage, breeze in our hair.

"I like what you've done with it, it rides really smooth" I said, kind of snickering to myself. He explained his suspension modifications, and the long ordeal of replacing the rear brake line. "I saw a JohnV exhaust on your shelf before we left, did you have a chance to try it out?"

"Want to hear it?" he asked, and before I knew it he forwarded to track 27 and we were pulling back into his garage. After letting the turbo cool off a bit he shut her down, stepped out, and grabbed the exhaust. "This will just take a minute," he said, putting a piece of cardboard on the ground next to the passenger side. He gently laid the exhaust on the cardboard as if it were his own child, slid it under the Slingshot, and hopped back in.

"Brahhh-brahhh-brahhh" Blitz exclaimed boisterously after hovering a finger over the starter button. There was a smile on his face the size of his head, "Little loud, ain't it?"

"It's got a bit of a gurgle to it," I said, and he explained it was the combination of the large turbo injectors with the lack of back pressure that messed with the timing pulses a bit in order to keep the idle RPMs down. He clicked to track 2 and I could hardly wait to see how this was going to go.

Blitz banged the gear stick into first and we were off, the box fan setting a little higher than before. I have to admit, I was a little nervous inside, a bit of queezy in the pit of my stomach.

He hammered the gas, "BRRRRRR-PSSssssss--BRRRRRRRR-PSSSssssss-BRRRRRR" the blowoff valve was loud, probably a Tial. We'd clicked through several tracks on the DVD and were doing about 70, trees and cars flying by in 3-D. I looked over at Blitz, smiled, and said, "Let's see what she can do." He downshifted, made a squeeling sound, and hit x2 on the DVD.

I laughed, then yelled, "Give 'er Blitz! Give 'er!" kind of surprised at myself, sitting in a stationary Slingshot in his garage. Blitz was more than happy to stretch her legs, clicking the fan up and putting the DVD in x3. "Faster! Faster!" I yelled, and faster we went, Blitz and the fan making more and more noise as I continued to egg him on. Blitz was writhing around in the seat, struggling to make the turns, leaning this way and that in an effort to keep it on the road. "Put her to the floor Blitz! She can take it!" The fan almost blew my glasses off.

20 minutes later we were at track 27, pulling back into the garage, Blitz dripping with sweat. In a hoarse voice, barely audible to the human ear, he tilted his head and croaked, "Wha'd you think?"

Slowly I removed myself from the passenger seat, erected my body, and took a deep breath. With a slow and deliberate gate I walked to the mini-fridge and pulled out two frostys, handed him one, and said, "You earned it."

"I gotta lay down," he quietly crackled, completely exhausted from his near brush with fate. "Feel free to take her for a spin," his tortured throat struggled to say as he slowly opened the door, "you know how to use the remotes."

I stood alone in amazement for several moments, in one respect feeling quite honored, and in another quite confused. Turning, his prize possession sat silently, yearning for a driver.

My posterior slid down the back of his seat and into position, instinctively I checked the mirror settings--what the hell am I doing? Then a chilling realization slid down my spine, a fatal oversight the loving owner had made: the key was still in the ignition.

Could he have an alarm system? Should I even dare? Would I betray his trust? A single click was heard, followed by the whirring of a fuel pump pressurizing the system.

The instrument lighting came on and both gauges swept from left to right and right to left again, warning lights illuminating as a self-test, and then, then the odometer reading popped up: 23.7 miles. ~Golden~

As quiet as a church mouse on Christmas Day I skittered to the far corner of his garage and rolled out the floor jack, progressively lifting each corner of the Slingshot and rotating the tire 1/4 turn.

As I turned off the lights and locked the door behind me I thought, "This man has earned it."

images.jpg

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
If you don't already know, Blitz is the master of modification. With only 3.2 miles on his brand new Slingshot, he tore it apart and added a turbocharger, and a lot of other stuff.

We were in his garage looking at his modifications and I asked if we could take it for a ride. "Sure, hop in," he said, and I was going to get a thrill riding in this work of art.

Blitz slid the key into the ignition, then made a "whiirrrrrr" sound with his mouth. "What's that about?" I asked. "Fuel pump pressurizing the system," he said. He moved his hand over the still-dark starter button and made a starter sound.

"Vmmm-vmmmm-vmmm" was the quiet lope from his garage queen as he hit play on the DVD remote, bringing up an image of the road in front of his house. "Here, put these glasses on, don't want bugs in your eyes," he said. Being a guest I obliged, and the flat-screen TV before us was now in 3-D.

He skipped to track 2, picked up another remote, and switched on an industrial box fan. We were driving around his subdivision in 3-D, pretty cool, although slightly odd given we were still in his garage, breeze in our hair.

"I like what you've done with it, it rides really smooth" I said, kind of snickering to myself. He explained his suspension modifications, and the long ordeal of replacing the rear brake line. "I saw a JohnV exhaust on your shelf before we left, did you have a chance to try it out?"

"Want to hear it?" he asked, and before I knew it he forwarded to track 27 and we were pulling back into his garage. After letting the turbo cool off a bit he shut her down, stepped out, and grabbed the exhaust. "This will just take a minute," he said, putting a piece of cardboard on the ground next to the passenger side. He gently laid the exhaust on the cardboard as if it were his own child, slid it under the Slingshot, and hopped back in.

"Brahhh-brahhh-brahhh" Blitz exclaimed boisterously after hovering a finger over the starter button. There was a smile on his face the size of his head, "Little loud, ain't it?"

"It's got a bit of a gurgle to it," I said, and he explained it was the combination of the large turbo injectors with the lack of back pressure that messed with the timing pulses a bit in order to keep the idle RPMs down. He clicked to track 2 and I could hardly wait to see how this was going to go.

Blitz banged the gear stick into first and we were off, the box fan setting a little higher than before. I have to admit, I was a little nervous inside, a bit of queezy in the pit of my stomach.

He hammered the gas, "BRRRRRR-PSSssssss--BRRRRRRRR-PSSSssssss-BRRRRRR" the blowoff valve was loud, probably a Tial. We'd clicked through several tracks on the DVD and were doing about 70, trees and cars flying by in 3-D. I looked over at Blitz, smiled, and said, "Let's see what she can do." He downshifted, made a squeeling sound, and hit x2 on the DVD.

I laughed, then yelled, "Give 'er Blitz! Give 'er!" kind of surprised at myself, sitting in a stationary Slingshot in his garage. Blitz was more than happy to stretch her legs, clicking the fan up and putting the DVD in x3. "Faster! Faster!" I yelled, and faster we went, Blitz and the fan making more and more noise as I continued to egg him on. Blitz was writhing around in the seat, struggling to make the turns, leaning this way and that in an effort to keep it on the road. "Put her to the floor Blitz! She can take it!" The fan almost blew my glasses off.

20 minutes later we were at track 27, pulling back into the garage, Blitz dripping with sweat. In a hoarse voice, barely audible to the human ear, he tilted his head and croaked, "Wha'd you think?"

Slowly I removed myself from the passenger seat, erected my body, and took a deep breath. With a slow and deliberate gate I walked to the mini-fridge and pulled out two frostys, handed him one, and said, "You earned it."

"I gotta lay down," he quietly crackled, completely exhausted from his near brush with fate. "Feel free to take her for a spin," his tortured throat struggled to say as he slowly opened the door, "you know how to use the remotes."

I stood alone in amazement for several moments, in one respect feeling quite honored, and in another quite confused. Turning, his prize possession sat silently, yearning for a driver.

My posterior slid down the back of his stock seat and into position, instinctively I checked the mirror settings--what the hell am I doing? Then a chilling realization slid down my spine, a fatal oversight the loving owner had made: the key was still in the ignition.

Could he have an alarm system? Should I even dare? Would I betray his trust? A single click was heard, followed by the whirring of a fuel pump pressurizing the system.

The instrument lighting came on and both gauges swept from left to right and right to left again, warning lights illuminating as a self-test, and then, then the odometer reading popped up: 23.7 miles. ~Golden~

As quiet as a church mouse on Christmas day I skittered to the far corner of his garage and rolled out the floor jack, progressively lifting each corner of the Slingshot and rotating the tire 1/4 turn.

As I turned off the lights and locked the door behind me I thought, "This man has earned it."

View attachment 68065
You bought some weed here in Colorado before going back to the land of cheese and really good sausage, didn't you?

I told you to stay away from the stuff called "Deaf". :) Not death, "Deaf". Shit is so strong you go deaf for 24 hours. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WI_Hedgehog, I lived in Wisconsin years ago before I realized that ice fishing and blackberry brandy had diagnostic codes. At that time, Milwaukee was not considered part of WI. Has that changed? :) Thank all of you for your useful insights. I'm in the "1) That the factory exhaust is a fat, bloated, ugly pig (my school of thought as well as others)" camp and am deciding between the Fab Factory and Alpha Variable exhausts.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
If I was NA, I'd probably go with the Alpha Variable Exhaust. You can keep it really quiet and then with a push of a button make it as loud as you want and increase the flow/power.

Us turbo owners will always have slightly quieter exhausts, as the turbo will cut down on the overall noise level.

An Alpha Turbo Side Exhaust doesn't sound the same as one on a NA machine.

Reactions: DKF Texas

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
WI_Hedgehog, I lived in Wisconsin years ago before I realized that ice fishing and blackberry brandy had diagnostic codes. At that time, Milwaukee was not considered part of WI. Has that changed? :) Thank all of you for your useful insights. I'm in the "1) That the factory exhaust is a fat, bloated, ugly pig (my school of thought as well as others)" camp and am deciding between the Fab Factory and Alpha Variable exhausts.

My faith in humanity has been restored. :)

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Hedge there for a second I thought your dissertation was someone else...had to do a double take!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts