Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard tons of stories about people out in their SS getting lots of (positive) attention. Questions at gas stations, even cops following people home just to ask questions about "What is that".

Have many people been getting negative attention? Harassed by police? Treated like you were/about to drive like a maniac? We would all probably agree that this thing looks like it's going 100 MPH sitting still and just has that "look".

Obviously if you ARE driving like an idiot...then you deserve it. I'm asking the people who are driving within the limits of the law. Well, at least most of the time.;)

*Several years ago I have a crotch rocket and sold it because I was getting too much attention from the police. I wasn't one of those people that rode it like an idiot doing wheelies down the street (honestly)...but I just felt like every time I took it out I got too much attention from the police. I felt like I was under a microscope by LEO. There was a group of guys in town (small town) that rode like idiots all the time - and I worked with them / never rode with them. So there may have been some guilt by association? Anyway...totally different topic.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Not being a smart donkey however police are human they like the way it looks it is a unique vehicle (bike) also if you're not doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about they cannot write your citation just because your vehicle looks cool

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not at all. In fact, I've been testing out a theory: novelty helmet. Cops where I live don't let those slide for Harley guys and I was wondering how they'd take that on me in my SS. Not a second look and I've seen a ton of 5.0. Further, I think I'm still the only SS in town.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
817 Posts
You can actually talk to most of the police officers everyone I spoke with they will even tell you they don't understand why we are wearing helmets :banghead:

·
Registered
434 Posts
All of the attention I get from police has been positive. I've been followed into parking lots just have them ask questions and goggle over my SS, never been lit up or asked for drivers license and insurance verification. Thumbs up and lots of waves also. I don't drive like an idiot and don't speed so I have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not being a smart donkey however police are human they like the way it looks it is a unique vehicle (bike) also if you're not doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about they cannot write your citation just because your vehicle looks cool
This isn't true at all...hence why I provided some background with my concern. I've been harassed several times because my vehicle/bike "looked cool". Once they pulled me over and realized I was a middle aged dude, who treated them with respect...and not a "young punk" I usually went about my way without issue.

·
Registered
427 Posts
We've driven past any number of police and not a stop or a question, one thumbs up...People on the other hand, questions, pictures, crazy looks and all smiles...Great fun always...

·
Registered
817 Posts
This isn't true at all...hence why I provided some background with my concern. I've been harassed several times because my vehicle/bike "looked cool". Once they pulled me over and realized I was a middle aged dude, who treated them with respect...and not a "young punk" I usually went about my way without issue.
I guess I'm confused on how you're being harassed literally I was in a group of about 20 cop cars the other day and I literally handed the keys to them they drove around and loved it I have even been pulled over thinking I was getting a ticket for speeding ticket however the Georgia State patrol just wanted to get pictures to show his kids but to each its own again I was not being a smart donkey I was just trying to understand your problem to see if someone could help

·
Registered
310 Posts
During last weekend's travel I hooked up with an old acquaintance, now retired. He suggested a ride to see his toy, which was housed at the local airport. On the return to his house, we traveled a bit around town to let ourselves be seen. On the wide, and empty, main street, he spotted an acquaintance angle-parking on the other side, and suggested we turn back. OK, no traffic in sight, swung a quick U, and angle-parked alongside. Not half a minute later, a police car appeared on our other side, and an imposing western-hatted officer approached, prepared to give me a hard time. My acquaintance knew the officer and explained that the sudden turn had been at his request and was thus his fault. The officer looked to see that we both wore seat belts, and decided there was no need for further action. Sometimes it's who you know . . .

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Rolled up next to a squad at a stop light, was a bit worried given the looks of the SL and the police in this area are known to be dictators, to put it mildly. He yells out the window, but only because he's excited to see another owner (his is the base). We talk the next 3 lights, he's getting a turbo and some other mods, and was friendly the whole time. Other squads saw it, no interaction.

If owners start driving like some crotch rocket drivers are known for doing we'll get a negative stigma. So far it's a small group of friendly, mostly safe people and we have established that reputation.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have been trying to get pulled over actually. Drifting around corners, small burnouts all around patrol cars. All I get is a look and a smile.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I got pulled over when i first got it because when he ran my plates it didnt come up as registered yet(registered it like the day before) but he also admitted that I did nothing wrong and he was just looking for an excuse to pull me over so he could pick my brain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts