Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen a couple comments with concerns about the passenger grabbing random parts in order to get out of the vehicle. Additionally, I plan on taking my dad out on some rides and need an easy way for him to pull himself up when getting out. I was thinking of attaching some sort of OS handle through the plastic to the frame through top part of the glove box. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I don't know BT, there is plenty of grab area on the right side. I am sure you could find an area on a part of the exposed frame to attach something. It might be a lot easier to jump out and give him a quick hand.

Slingshot Grab Handle2.jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I showed him that and he said he would need to be able to pull himself forward, not sideways. He's kind of a big guy. I just don't want one of my passengers absentmindedly grabbing the glove box and messing up the plastic, dad included.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Remember that that spaceframe wraps up all the way to the top of the glovebox. You're less likely to warp plastics anywhere else on the SS than if he grabs there. If your dad is older, let him grab where it is comfortable and safe to do so.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good, I'll let him know and we'll see how it goes in a monthish or less. Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
If you end up ordering and installing, please share how useful they are and pictures of what they look like.

I don't think I need any handles, but a 6 pack cooler for "sodas" :p on both sides might be nice.... :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely will do! And since I saw someone's post about jokingly wiring up a powered cooler for 'sodas', I've been thinking about that. If we can get some side bags around the swing arm, one of the storage bins can be for a subwoofer and the other can be wired for cool liquid refreshment. Again, this isn't just a fun machine for me, it's also gonna be a functional car replacement.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was able to sit in a demo today. I'm 5'11" was surprised at the leg room. Had to move the seat forward 4-5 inches.
Sun was out and I was wearing shorts. Dam near put blisters on the backside of my legs. These SS are definitely going to need seat covers come warm weather.
Getting out I moved the steering wheel all the way up. I used the seat for pushing off and up. I'm disabled so somethings are harder for me to do. I see the point of some additional grab handles. After I get the SS I will install some once I figure out the best method to pursue. Heavier people could take a little longer getting out but it's do able.

One will just have to find the best method.
Was really surprised at the room inside the SS. People are going to love these machines.
I can't wait.
The wife really liked it also.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Ya know, no one ever says, "I'm 4'9" and 110 lbs. Will it be hard for me to get in and out?"
I wonder if the seats are still comfortable and the windshield height is acceptable for our friends of diminutive stature.
Fortunately the seat slides up as it goes forward. But I am curious what the ride experience is like for someone generally smaller.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's another thing I noticed; when I was getting out of the driver's side, I had difficulty getting around the steering wheel and the body work on the left side of the vehicle. I believe I tried with the seat all the way back and the tilt steering pushed all the way up. Any suggestions from others that have physically been in the SS? I'm not that big, 5'10" and 200lbs. I almost wanted to cut the side piece short so I could get out easier...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got many disabled friends in wheel chairs who want to go for a ride. 1 is a quad and she says she has a seat support to help keep her upright. I have a feeling I'll be in a few videos showing how paras and quads can transfer in and out of the SS and can enjoy what able bodied can enjoy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The Polaris rep showed us how to get out correctly. Following his instructions it was very easy

1. swing your left leg out and put your foot on the ground
2. Put your right hand on the emergency brake handle and use it to push up with
3. Use your left hand to pull up and then push up
DO NOT use the steering wheel for leverage to pull your way out

when using the right technique getting in and out is easy

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That's another thing I noticed; when I was getting out of the driver's side, I had difficulty getting around the steering wheel and the body work on the left side of the vehicle. I believe I tried with the seat all the way back and the tilt steering pushed all the way up. Any suggestions from others that have physically been in the SS? I'm not that big, 5'10" and 200lbs. I almost wanted to cut the side piece short so I could get out easier...
A lot of the guys are talking about the detachable steering wheel, so it is an option that is being worked on

1 - 20 of 21 Posts