Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning.
I will be picking up my new SS in a few weeks and have 2 questions.
1. It seems that a heat shield is a good investment to keep heat out of the passenger cabin. What is the best one to install?

2. Is there a need to get a TPMS to monitor tire pressure all the time? If so, what is the best one to purchase?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
1. Cycle Springs full matt kit and maybe a new exhaust.

2. I don't seem a need for it personally.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Good Morning.
1. It seems that a heat shield is a good investment to keep heat out of the passenger cabin. What is the best one to install?

2. Is there a need to get a TPMS to monitor tire pressure all the time? If so, what is the best one to purchase?

Thank you for your help!
Paul, First??? What part of the country do you live/ride. I will probably not do the 'heat shield', living in La Porte, IN had vary
few days over the last year (bike delivered 25 Feb 2015) and
23,000+ miles that I was uncomfortable from heat. I've put a lot of miles on the Slingshot in 30 - 40 degree weather -- little heat is nice.
I did add some simple air funnels intakes to bring in cool air. When it's 90/95+ doesn't matter what your riding --- it's warm.

Welcome to the World of Slingshot insanity.....it's going to be fun and you have lots of time to make it 'your' ride. Learn a little about it
and make your moves after a few miles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cyclesprings installed their mat kit in my sling last year a Eureka springs rally. It virtually eliminated the heat issue for me. Well worth the money

·
Mike
417 Posts
If you get an aftermarket exhaust or a cat delete pipe then that will take away a lot of heat. I wouldn't get the matts until after you have driven it for a while to see how bad it really is.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got my sling in Texas in July. Drove it to Eureka Springs in Sept. I had the matts installed there and no more heat problem. Before when we would ride, after about 30 min h passenger had to move their legs and feet to the outside wall of the cabin to be comfortable. The matts eliminated that problem. Just sayin.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good Morning.

Thank you for your help!
I live in Texas and haven't put a heat shield in, or needed tire pressure monitor.
The passenger foot well does get extremely hot so my wife has to wear tennis shoes not flip flops or her feet would burn lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
Once I put on the UP exhaust my heat problem was cut by at least two thirds. The mats and insulating most of the holes on the fire wall took care of most of the additional heat. You need to try to make it to Eureka (Ozark Invasion) or one of the other SS meets and you will be able to see and try out other mods people have done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was told by the my Polaris dealership parts manager that Polaris will soon start selling a heat shield which installs on the fire wall of the Slingshot with a price of about $300.00. He did not give me any other detail information of when they plan to start selling them.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I was told by the my Polaris dealership parts manager that Polaris will soon start selling a heat shield which installs on the fire wall of the Slingshot with a price of about $300.00. He did not give me any other detail information of when they plan to start selling them.
In all due respect to Polaris- they are the last place I would go for mods or up-grades. The after-market vendors have been at this- fast and furious- the creativity and imagination is at a level Polaris cannot match. In addition- should ANY ISSUE ARISE, the well-known vendors are Johnny on the spot correcting any issues. As far as customer service goes, they literally beat the pants off of Polaris. Not diss-in Polaris-we wouldn't have these fantastic vehicles, had not stepped up to the plate, but they are the last place I would look for parts or modifications, unless it was a warranty repair item. JMHO

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good Morning.

Thank you for your help!
Paul, First??? What part of the country do you live/ride. I will probably not do the 'heat shield', living in La Porte, IN had vary
few days over the last year (bike delivered 25 Feb 2015) and
23,000+ miles that I was uncomfortable from heat. I've put a lot of miles on the Slingshot in 30 - 40 degree weather -- little heat is nice.
I did add some simple air funnels intakes to bring in cool air. When it's 90/95+ doesn't matter what your riding --- it's warm.

Welcome to the World of Slingshot insanity.....it's going to be fun and you have lots of time to make it 'your' ride. Learn a little about it
and make your moves after a few miles.
sorry u got a flat on the way to the bike show. Did run into your friend there. Hope your surviving the blizzard. My sons in cedar lake.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good Morning.

Thank you for your help!
I have ordered the FOBO bike monitor to try it out. I've got about 5K miles on my sling and haven't had any problem with tire pressure.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have about 12,700 miles on my ss- original rubber. I manually check the tires every 2-3 weeks. no issues so far.... regular roads, highway, city, and twisties..... probably have about 3000-4000 miles left on the rear.......

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
sorry u got a flat on the way to the bike show. Did run into your friend there. Hope your surviving the blizzard. My sons in cedar lake.
Nipper51, Things happen.....Couldn't get the wheel off, so had it toed in. Switched cars and made it in to the show. Had a great weekend talking 'Sling' with a lot of folks. Hope we meet one day this Spring.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
I have about 12,700 miles on my ss- original rubber. I manually check the tires every 2-3 weeks. no issues so far.... regular roads, highway, city, and twisties..... probably have about 3000-4000 miles left on the rear.......
Tire pressure---manually check form time to time--2015 bike Feb 24 to Sept 16----16,901 miles OEM tires. rear tire had 2/3000 left, front like new. Instead of a new tire---just got a new Slingshot --- the 2016
I picked up 16 Sept now has 7150 miles.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Had Polaris started installing the dust cover on the transmission housing? It was the first thing I did to mine last year. $25 I believe

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Seriously for heat I can tell you for sure Alpha side exit exhaust made a huge difference. Traveling back from Deadwood last year my dealer and his wife were in his SS and I was in mine...the passenger side temp on mine was ridiculously cooler than his!!! I added DEI kit a couple of months ago and love it too!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts