Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the le9 SAE or Metric?

Where can I put a water temp sender and an oil pressure sender? Both are 1/8 NPT.

Are the Allen head plugs under the exhaust manifold oil galley plugs?

Don't want to cut hoses to put water temp sender in, just does not look professional to me.

Thanks

LC

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Is the le9 SAE or Metric?

Where can I put a water temp sender and an oil pressure sender? Both are 1/8 NPT.

Are the Allen head plugs under the exhaust manifold oil galley plugs?

Don't want to cut hoses to put water temp sender in, just does not look professional to me.

Thanks

LC
Gauge instalation tutorial (and parts list)

Look over the above thread first. It should answer almost all your questions.

Allen Head plugs are oil galley plugs.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Sometimes using google search works better than using the search feature on the forum.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think I am going to pull the radiator hose up on the front of the drivers side to see how thick the casting is. There is a machined flat right by the little hose fitting that is just begging to be drilled and tapped to 1/8 NPT. For the oil I think I'm going to try tee off the fitting just below and in front of the oil filter, I think it is the stock oil pressure sender.

LC

PS. Just ordered the 12x1.75 adaptor. What size Allen does it take to get the galley plug out?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this morning I got up and put my big boy pants on and went and drilled the flat spot. Started small and worked up to 11/32" Then tapped it to 1/8 NPT.
Installed the sending unit and all is right in the world.

Just a tip for non machinist, when tapping NPT threads go part way then test fit the item going in the threads, go a bit more and retest, continue doing this until you reach the intended position on the installed item. The reason for this is pipe threads ,NPT, are tapered so as the item gets tighter it seals the threads. If you just go to the tap being buried you have an oversized hole, and nobody wants one of those.
20170221_092617.jpg 20170221_092518.jpg
I corrected the wire terminal, I put it between the two flat washer were I intended for it to be.

Now waiting for the oil fitting.

LC

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
13.5 volts, 167 temp.

Would like to see temp a bit higher, it is only 70 air temp now, maybe where it is 100+ the temp will go up.

LC

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Water temp was between 175 to 185 most of the time, when I slowed down to drive around a lakeside park the temp went up to 204 then right back down when up to speed.

LC

·
Registered
53 Posts
Water temp was between 175 to 185 most of the time, when I slowed down to drive around a lakeside park the temp went up to 204 then right back down when up to speed.

LC
I did a bypass switch to manually control the fan. It still works in auto, but I like a cool engine

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A cooler engine is not necessarily a good thing. Cooler running engine don't make enough heat to evaporate acids and gunk in the oil, pull the valve cover and find gunk you can bet it probably never got up to a good running temp for a long time. Also engines typically get better milage when at full temp and not to cool, that is why most vehicles come with thermostats in excess of 180 degrees. Different platform, but you will see OTR trucks with the shutters on the radiator close in cold weather (or cardboard in front of the radiator on the gypos). Like Marilyn said "some like it hot".

LC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts