Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CT mentioned this in another post and it happened to me also so I figured it was worth its own thread.

While at the gas station, attempting to fill the fuel tank. As soon as I squeezed the lever on the pump, gas immediately sprayed out of the fill hole. I tried moving the nozzle around to different angles, inserting it further and pulling out a little but nothing helped. I was forced to add fuel at a very slow rate to avoid this. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a trick to it? I intend to investigate further at my next fill but until then, be careful at the pump.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
CT told us about that issue today and we looked at it. We determined it is because of guide that's inside the neck. If you take a flashlight and look inside the neck their is a slot that the fuel nozzle is supposed to slide into. Give that a try and see if that solves the problem.

Here is the blow up of the fuel filler. #4 is the neck. Its angled so I think the guide is to get the fuel nozzle into the right angle.
Fuel_Assm_15SS.png

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.
Figured it was along these lines upon reading the post.
I'll make sure it's aligned right filling up. Happened to me filling up a car once. Gas splashed all over me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CT told us about that issue today and we looked at it. We determined it is because of guide that's inside the neck. If you take a flashlight and look inside the neck their is a slot that the fuel hose is supposed to slide into. Give that that a try and see if that solves the problem.

Here is the blow up of the fuel filler. #4 is the neck. Its angled so I think the guide is to get the fuel nozzle into the right angle.
View attachment 2636
I looked in there today and saw that, you might need to hold the nozzle vertical with the angled tip facing away from you to guide it in there. It looks awkward. I will try it tomorrow.

·
Vendor
2,216 Posts
There is track in the fuel line for filling but it appears to shallow for any normal size fuel nozzle. I have to lift the rubber boot on the nozzle as if i'm filling a small gas can in order to fuel up. I tried rotating the nozzle 360 degrees... no help. Good thing they have small tanks :)

I know alot of toy haulers have "miniature" fuel nozzles for refilling quads and side by sides. I wonder if polaris yanked the fuel fill system from one of their "side by sides" preventing normal fuel nozzles from fitting the SS correctly?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
There is track in the fuel line for filling but it appears to shallow for any normal size fuel nozzle. I have to lift the rubber boot on the nozzle as if i'm filling a small gas can in order to fuel up. I tried rotating the nozzle 360 degrees... no help. Good thing they have small tanks :)

I know alot of toy haulers have "miniature" fuel nozzles for refilling quads and side by sides. I wonder if polaris yanked the fuel fill system from one of their "side by sides" preventing normal fuel nozzles from fitting the SS correctly?
Is there a way to fix it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can someone chime in on the proper way of refueling. Every time I get gas the gas shoots out of the filler tube. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
828 Posts
each notch on the digital fuel gauge is about one gallon. so that gives you an idea of how much fuel you'll need.

some pumps have higher flow rate than others. whne you are close to your expected fueling amount. slow it to down on the pump nozzle

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Some folks actually fill it up - upside down. Meaning if you are at the pump and filling the tank, the trigger would be away from you.

I just go slow and I have found some filling stations that work better than others so I go to them.

·
Info is where you find me.
336 Posts
The filler neck sucks to be blunt... I invert the nozzle for the optimum chance of cutoff... but, I slow the flow when I near the expected amount and listen for the fluid up the filler neck. It's the manual release, for the most part, that keeps me from sucking gas fumes for the next 20 minutes of riding...

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
Based on a suggestion from a member in an earlier thread - I hold the nozzle upside down pointed towards the center, that seems to be in line with the direction of the filler hose. You still need to fill slowly as it will rarely stop on its own. I always have a rag at the ready.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
@Samowens44, here's your calling, put together a video on "How to properly put gas in your Slingshot". We all would love to see it! This subject comes up from time to time even though many of us do not have an issue it seems a video might explain better than words.

I for one never have had an issue and have tried to explain my methodology but I am sure it is lost in the archives by now.

·
Registered
828 Posts
if you don't like the sweet scent of gasoline fumes... then maybe the slingshot isnt for you.

i always loved gasoline fumes since young, its in my blood, my lungs.

embrace the sacrifice of the dinosaurs and enjoy the ride!

just my two pennies :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts