Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post this as the word fuel mileage or mpg isn't talked about much. I purchased mine on 1-15-15 with a full tank. Today I filled it for the first time. Driving was a mix of highway and in town driving. In town average was 35 mph hwy 65 mph.I put 7.38 gallons in with a distance driven 191.5 miles. That works out to be 25.94 MPG.The trip computer had registered 24.5 MPG. The trip computer is close enough for me.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
That is about what I had with mine. In the 360 or so miles that I had driven it I averaged around 25-26, not bad at all.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
28-30 on the expressway .... Averaging about 25-26 all around. Hard driving ( North GA mountains - lots of up and down runs) sees about 22.

·
Registered
770 Posts
So far I seem to be getting around 28 and expect it will get into the 30s once it is broken in well!

·
Registered
792 Posts
27. No matter what. But truth is, I don't care. I didn't drop over $27,000 for motorized entertainment only to worry, care, or even think about the mileage. I measure it in smiles per gallon... not miles per gallon. In that case it's 1. Cuz it never stops!

image.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I drive like I have some sense it stays around 25, mainly doing all town driving. However when I drive it like a 24 year old....I actually think I have seen a -2mpg on there ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
There used to be a lot of discussion about gas mileage but it looks like that has died down now. Most of the writers were saying 'no better than 29 or 30' stuff like that.

I now have a little over 6,000 on my SL and just returned from a round trip from Central Alabama to NE Ohio and back, 1898 miles in all. (Appeared in a parade and also won a trophy in a hometown car/bike show for 'most miles traveled.')

Anyhow, fuel mileage. Years ago when I was a whippersnapper one way to test and report on your gas mileage was to drive at a steady 60. 60 in those days was considered cruising because the interstates were not a factor.

Nowadays you can not run at a steady 60 because you will have vehicles all over your back bumper, errrr tire, or something back there. But I had a chance to perform this test on my run to Ohio. I was going east on I- 64 across Kentucky, it was drizzling and 3 in the morning. No traffic,, mostly level with some slight up and down hills. So I set it on cruise and went a steady 60 for about 40 miles.

35.8. Not bad. Of course for most of the trip, and I was in no particular hurry, I was getting 31 to 33. That cruise control works really well, and I usually set it on 75 and there it stays up and down hills. Many four banger cars (heavier) might have trouble holding the set cruise on some hills, especially in fifth gear. Not so the Sling. Light weight and a decent motor make for smooth cruising.

Yes, for those that ask, I have also checked my fuel mileage the standard way, gas purchased to miles driven, and that gauge is right on.

Also noted that all the instrumentation seems to work really well. The exterior temp gauge corresponds with every temp gauge I pass on the street, such as a bank thermometer. Also keeps time, everything works great.

·
Banned
928 Posts
The other day, right after fueling, just for sport, I trying cruising at 70, instead of my usual 60. I was SHOCKED how low my MPG ran! Like 5 MPG lower than normal!

I soon went back to my usual 60 MPH cruising. :D

It is so much more quiter, smoother, and relaxing at 60 vs. 70 too.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts