Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Garmin GPS about a month ago. It comes with a very nice wireless back-up camera and a 7" screen and she's got all the whistles and bells!. I plan on using this on my Slingshot, as I only ordered the base Slingshot

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, okierider is right...not waterproof. When it rains, I'll stick it in it's pouch and store it in the glove compartment! I hooked the camera and GPS unit up to my power supply and played with it in my shop.....very sweet...the camera is tiny....the traffic alert is awesome...GPS unit inks up to my Samsung smart phone...very very pleased for 400 bucks! Here is the link for webpage and specs for it:
http://www.garmin2798lmt.com/

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Is the camera waterproof at least? Isn't that meant to be on the back of a car/truck/motorcycle?

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
I thought so but I couldn't find it in the online materials. Thanks, I might check this out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking about making a bracket that will mount the GPS over the hole where the Infotainment package would go on the SL model or possibly using the Garmin Nuvi Portable Non Skid Friction Mount 010-11280-00 and reversing the friction mount "arm" so t the friction mount will fit in the trapezoid-shaped area above that Infotainment hole.
$(KGrHqN,!nsFIIr7yUp5BSE64Chz8Q~~60_57.jpg
base-interior.jpg

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am researching this gps and I have a question for you. I would like to have the camera on all the time and use the unit as a rear view mirror. My question is can you switch from gps to monitor on demand? Example going down the hi-way in gps mode then switch to camera mode to see what's behind you then back again?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To: slolane and Noah Katz....
Yes, you can either have the rear view on demand or just as a back-up camera when you put your Slingshot (or any vehicle), depending on where you tie in your 12 volts DC. If you wire it into your reverse light feed, it'll automatically switch from GPS to rear view, then when you take your SS out of reverse, it automatically flips back to GPS display. Or...if you tie your 12 volts into your running light feed, you can manually switch from GPS view to rear view by simply tapping a camera icon on the display screen. Here's a link to the instruction manual for the BC-20 camera that comes with the Garmin 2798LMT and on Page 3, it explains the where's, how's and why's to hooking up your 12 volts! If you have any other questions, just let me know!

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac//BC_20_Install_ML.pdf

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
To: slolane and Noah Katz....
Yes, you can either have the rear view on demand or just as a back-up camera when you put your Slingshot (or any vehicle), depending on where you tie in your 12 volts DC. If you wire it into your reverse light feed, it'll automatically switch from GPS to rear view, then when you take your SS out of reverse, it automatically flips back to GPS display. Or...if you tie your 12 volts into your running light feed, you can manually switch from GPS view to rear view by simply tapping a camera icon on the display screen. Here's a link to the instruction manual for the BC-20 camera that comes with the Garmin 2798LMT and on Page 3, it explains the where's, how's and why's to hooking up your 12 volts! If you have any other questions, just let me know!

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac//BC_20_Install_ML.pdf
Thank you, just what I was looking for awesome

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey all...
Last night I temporarily installed and hooked up the Garmin 2798 GPS/Back-up camera on my Slingshot. I wired it directly into the tail light so I can toggle between GPS and back-up camera any time, intend of wiring into the reverse light wire. Then I went for a cold ride....one word describes that 2798 and camera...AWESOME! Sorry my pic is so bad....lousy cell phone pic...LOL!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 60 Posts