Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I think its a good concept but personally I dont think it will make any difference in a serious accident. However I think if you streamlin it more something like this it would be more popular: (drew in white lines using paint) haha
We could make it lower but head clearance would be a problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also if you built channels in the front of the tubing you could use some acrylic to make a windsheild built into it, and even have the acrylic go all the way to the back.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Head clearance is only an issue on where the bars are. If the bars are on the outside of where the drivers head would be it wouldn't make a difference. I wouldn't make the height of it anymore than the standard roll-overs which is around 42" from the bottom of the seat roughly. From what i can measure on mine its only about 6" above the top of the seat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Make it lower, put some rivets/buttons on it so a roof can be snapped on and off and tie in the front windshield. Make it so the whole cage can be taken on and off in a breeze.
top-13.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey guys, just want to share a product that we are getting ready to produce. It will be a bolt in roll cage for the sling shot. The prototype is just about done and we will update as we go.

The SS definitely gets a lot of attention from our clients who visits the shop. One of the first thing everything says is how dangerous it looks. We've decided to add some safety to vehicle that both looks and serves it's purpose. We are working on brackets to bolt some mirrors on as well as a rear view :)

The final product will be painted or powder coated. The cage is constructed from lightweight chromoly tubing.

Nice work! Very interested ,if reasonably priced. Not as interested in it being 'roll-proof' as it being a sturdy frame to attach a Bimini top to so I can decrease sun exposure on long summer rides. A lighter weight/strength frame as a less expensive option.... if I don't want the 'safety roll cage' version. david

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nice work! Very interested ,if reasonably priced. Not as interested in it being 'roll-proof' as it being a sturdy frame to attach a Bimini top to so I can decrease sun exposure on long summer rides. A lighter weight/strength frame as a less expensive option.... if I don't want the 'safety roll cage' version. david
Totally agree. Interested in easy on/off shade cover; not so much a roll cage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like it. Lower would be great, head room? I am 6'2". Bought titanium. But really like idea. Put someone my size in. No view issues, good, no clearance in top of helmet, good. Will keep watching posts. Customizing from day of arrival.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Right now we are offering them as an in house install until we setup the fixture to make them to ship.
I appreciate the incredible work designing this. My neighbor and I have been toiling over a roll cage/luggage rack (in rear)/solid or canvas top option for months and keep running in to problems just trying to design one for ME (6'3"; 235#). I can't imagine the frustration of trying to design one for the entire market!!! Head room is a major issue--just getting into the SS with a fixed top is impossible for me (unless the top opens). Sharp rake angle coming up from mirror is another issue (compromises strength in rollover compared to more vertical angle). Weight is another (with wife and me aboard, we have only 47# left to play with before exceeding GVW allowed--and that even ignores 50# of luggage for long trips.

I certainly wish, as everyone else, that you would just custom make one for me to do ALL that I want and need. LOL But then, as you can see, no one else would want it! It's so much easier to design something simple, like a license plate holder, that works for everyone! But NOT. I mounted my plate to the back of the underside of my SS and repositioned the light above the tire to shine on it. So even the simplest "mod" can't please everyone. I redesigned an alum. license plate holder and then threw it away.

But Koodos for the work and imagination! I can only marvel at the frustration you have to endure doing such work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im excited about the roll cage idea...i just was thinking "wouldnt it be a good idea to have the things that you grasp onto with this roll cage"? you know the things they have inside of most cars that be above the doors connected to the roof kind of...i myself love to grasp this while riding in a car...

41 - 56 of 56 Posts