Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Nice work and inventive. Only thing I would add might be to look again at the front mounts to where the mirrors are located. Just asking as I'm more familiar with Jeep off-road cages, do you feel the strength is there (4 bolts) to serve the design purpose?
I can't tell if any further reinforcements have been added.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Wow, that was also the first thing I thought. And don't get me wrong, I like the manx. I used to want one as a kid, but I personally like the look of the SS for different reasons.

I'm sure that the folks looking for a roof and a full windshield, roll over protection, more luggage accessory options etc. appreciate seeing this as a first step. I've always been an advocate for someone to make it fit their needs for whatever makes them happy. Good work.

That said, saying it isn't necessarily for me doesn't mean I'm being negative.
Totally agree, guess I'm clueless.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree about the manx look. Funny because before the slingshot came out, I almost bought a Custom manx with a subaru turbo engine!

Nice work guys- this is a great idea. There are a lot of people concerned with safety. Looks like the stock roll hoops are removed?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Any - Idea - On - Price - ? 4 - me - I would want bare metal - 4130 cm - so that I could weld other bracketry and paint my desired color - thanks - tom n carol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
We know everyone has their own opinion and taste. We juggled the design over and over and we feel this is the safest way of approaching a cage. Our lead tech is 6 ft 1 and with his helmet on, his head is already close to the top bar. We sure could have made it more low profile but it would of been more form over function and that is not what we were after. We will have some pics with a driver inside tomorrow . Thanks Guys

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Yea, lets see someone tall with a helmet on inside the cage. Im torn over this. I know what kind of time you have in it and have a ton of respect for that. I just don't know what I don't like about it or what I do like about it. I think once its finished And I see someone in the cockpit I can tell you what changes I would want made for me to order one.

Reactions: Full Blown

·
Registered
83 Posts
Full Blown . . . .Very-Very-Nice . . must be some kind of race car chassis fabricators - Beautiful Work - Super Great for Touring-Luggage Rack~Rear View Mirror~Lights- - Summer = Canvas/Sun---Winter = bolt on Hardtop - - - - - - with Sides/zip Windows (like the old Jeep wranglers/removable light weight doors )-(heater/with relocated exhaust) - - - All Removable - - - - - - -For back to the Sport Look . . . . Nice Looking Welds . . . . . . . . . Tom n Carol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks guys, we plan on doing a top as well. It is super light weight, all done out of thin wall chromoly tubing. We could of cheaped out and used mild steel but that adds a ton of weight. Paul, I will give you a call in a bit bud. Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks guys, we plan on doing a top as well. It is super light weight, all done out of thin wall chromoly tubing. We could of cheaped out and used mild steel but that adds a ton of weight. Paul, I will give you a call in a bit bud. Thanks!
How strong is the material you used? How do you think it will hold up in a crash? The type of crash I am most worried about is being rear ended by a big pick up truck- looks like the cage is well constructed but it all depends on the engineering, attachment points, and strength of material.

A top that is easily removed, or even stored in the slingshot would be great. Any ideas for a windshield/wipers?

Great work and excited to see more progress!

·
Registered
238 Posts
That Manx roll cage looks good and I think you are headed in the right direction. It just needs to flow with the vehicle like they did with the Manx.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think its a good concept but personally I dont think it will make any difference in a serious accident. However I think if you streamlin it more something like this it would be more popular: (drew in white lines using paint) haha

21 - 40 of 56 Posts