Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how many guys are having this annoying issue, but we have two slingshots in the shop and noticed the rear latches are horrible. Polaris made them out of very thin gauge material and they tend to flex when you shut the hood. Sometimes you have to push down multiple times just to get it to latch.

We decided to make these to cure the problem and they latch ALOT better than the OEM.

Our latch brackets are Alot Beefier than the OEM ones and will not flex when you shut the hood. It also has built in adjustments.

Here is a shot of the OEM bracket VS FBM Brackets

http://fullblownmotorsports.com/full-blown-polaris-slingshot-heavy-duty-hood-latch

·
Registered
191 Posts
The stock hood latch brackets are not strong enough and offer no adjustment. This is a serious issue. Having 4 rotary latches engage at the same time on a plastic hood is a difficult proposition and tolerances are critical. The bigger issue is that you could have an issue with hoods opening up while driving but the front two latches make this unlikely, What is more likely is that the brackets will continue to flex and more and more force will be needed to secure the upper latches. This will lead to stress cracks and finish damage which will be costly to fix. My understanding is that Polaris is aware of the issue and will come up with heavier adjustable brackets but, because of the other issues they have had to deal with the latch problem hasn't risen to the top of the list. In addition they have a huge backlog of orders that are keeping them buried with production.

I probably will pick up a set of heavier brackets from Full Blown Motor Sports as that, in my opinion, is the only correct fix to the hood latch problem . The only problem I have is that I am fixing something that Polaris will eventually offer a fix for under warranty on my dime. In addition, if something else occurs,
and you have installed this modification I don't know what their warranty position will be.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The stock hood latch brackets are not strong enough and offer no adjustment. This is a serious issue. Having 4 rotary latches engage at the same time on a plastic hood is a difficult proposition and tolerances are critical. The bigger issue is that you could have an issue with hoods opening up while driving but the front two latches make this unlikely, What is more likely is that the brackets will continue to flex and more and more force will be needed to secure the upper latches. This will lead to stress cracks and finish damage which will be costly to fix. My understanding is that Polaris is aware of the issue and will come up with heavier adjustable brackets but, because of the other issues they have had to deal with the latch problem hasn't risen to the top of the list. In addition they have a huge backlog of orders that are keeping them buried with production.

I probably will pick up a set of heavier brackets from Full Blown Motor Sports as that, in my opinion, is the only correct fix to the hood latch problem . The only problem I have is that I am fixing something that Polaris will eventually offer a fix for under warranty on my dime. In addition, if something else occurs,
and you have installed this modification I don't know what their warranty position will be.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I INSTALLED THE FULL BLOWN LATCHES and it helped somewhat. I sat down and thought out the problem. The rear cable was too short and was keeping tension on the rear latches. I moved the rear cable forward by 3/16" using the cable adjustment and guess what. I just let the hood lay down on the latches, pushed down on the fronts, then pushed down on each rear. Each rear clicked into place and locked. You don't have to drop the hood anymore. Very happy. You should look into adjusting the cable.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I INSTALLED THE FULL BLOWN LATCHES and it helped somewhat. I sat down and thought out the problem. The rear cable was too short and was keeping tension on the rear latches. I moved the rear cable forward by 3/16" using the cable adjustment and guess what. I just let the hood lay down on the latches, pushed down on the fronts, then pushed down on each rear. Each rear clicked into place and locked. You don't have to drop the hood anymore. Very happy. You should look into adjusting the cable.
I looked at adjusting the cable and that didn't work. Installed the heavier brackets and problem resolved, Didn't have to even push down on the corners until I installed a strut. Makes opening and closing the hood a lot easier but now I have to lightly push down on each upper corner to make sure it is fully latched

·
Registered
277 Posts
I installed the heavy brackets and the rear passenger side still won't latch..

·
Registered
277 Posts
No fault of the latches they are super strong in comparison

·
Registered
191 Posts
There are a number of different things other forum members have done to resolve the hood latching issues. I remember seeing posts and videos as far back as March 2015 . Might want to run a search for the old posts. Perhaps there is something else that would help.

In my case; I had problems latching the rear latches first. I had to really push down on the upper corners to get the latches to engage. I noticed that the brackets flexed and there was no way of adjusting the latches. Did you try adjusting the heavier brackets? In any event, it got to a point where, besides having the problem latching the hood, I couldn't open the hood without a second person helping to raise the hood while I was releasing the latch. In fact, I had the car in for service and they couldn't open the hood and service even called Polaris and still didn't get an answer. I was holding out on ordering the heavy brackets, because I thought Polaris would resolve the problem. Not a chance! So out of frustration, I bought and installed them. In my case it resolved the problem. I am sorry that it didn't solve yours. My service manager even asked me the name and information of the company that made the brackets.

The hood latching and opening problem is something a lot of owners have had and, as of yet, I have not heard of Polaris doing anything about it.

Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts