Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my SS Saturday, they told me the vehicle came in with 44 miles and they called Polaris to ask them why so many miles...
They said that Polaris told them every several units are dyno tested and that one was dyno tested.
They said 44 miles?
Polaris said yeah.

That sounds like a lot of dyno miles......Not sure if that is good for the engine but its broken in for me I guess.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
That does sound fishy to me too Evo......Are you sure your dealer isn't jerking your chain after joyriding your SS?....Or letting others test it?

·
Registered
619 Posts
This troubles me for several reasons least among them the 44 miles on the clock. What disturbs me is the trust issue. Trust in the dealer... trust in Polaris?
Who can you believe? I don't like the feeling. You take things at face value but then you begin to wonder. If you read these forum threads there seems to be an prevailing undercurrent of skepticism in the dealers as well as Polaris. Why is this? It leaves me uncomfortable.
I'm thinking the dealer is not being straight up.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Mine had 0 miles on the odometer and 0.1 miles on the trip gauge when I got it.

At 44 miles, I'm sure someone couldn't have resisted a test drive....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would definitely call bullshit! That would probably be an hour or so on a dyno. Alot of bikes would overheat if they had to be dyno'ed for that long - fan or no fan! I've never seen a bike dyno'ed that long.

It was test ridden for sure - and the dealer is lying about it!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just got back from test driving Evo's SS. In the rain. Fun!

One thing - the 'demo' model they had for the last couple of weeks.

The youngish tech guy said he took it out and experienced it a bit.

Any chance THAT is the vehicle they gave you and not your 'new shipment' one? 44 miles sounds about right for a dealer dude popping it around the glorious hamlet of Woodstock, IL.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
That's allot of miles on a dyno. We have built numerous 7-900hp cars with complete engine, and electronic overhauls and tuned them on different fuels and boost levels. A full day dyno testing might be 4-8 miles tops! I call bullshit someone had some fun with your slingshot.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
If you read these forum threads there seems to be an prevailing undercurrent of skepticism in the dealers as well as Polaris. Why is this? It leaves me uncomfortable.
I think I've kept up with this forum pretty well and I've felt this way for months.

There are many good dealers and many bad ones. I think that's just nature of the beast. I think Polaris exacerbated this feeling with poor management and communication......Using omissions for marketing doesn't help either.

I'm sorry for your luck Evo. I would guess that your SS will be fine anyway. What do you plan on doing (if anything?)

·
Registered
792 Posts
44 dyno miles is like 1,000 miles in the normal world! "Avoid full throttle starts for the first 500 miles" says the owner's manual. If someone is going to blatantly go against the manufacturer's instructions, it should not be with a customer's unit! It should be one set aside for lab testing or random QC checks.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
44 dyno miles is like 1,000 miles in the normal world! "Avoid full throttle starts for the first 500 miles" says the owner's manual. If someone is going to blatantly go against the manufacturer's instructions, it should not be with a customer's unit! It should be one set aside for lab testing or random QC checks.
It doesn't make sense that Polaris would use a customer's product for testing (aside from a warranty issue.) It's like buying a sandwich with a bite taken out of it.

I'm sure Polaris already has plenty of test units available.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'm thinking a dealer's employee just couldn't resist showing it off to his friends the night before delivery. Too bad there's not a dash cam!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds fishy. I found a video of a unit being driven from my dealership yesterday. I was told no demo rides... #1 SL deposit too. Hard to trust a dealer when things like this happen.

I am going in tomorrow to see if the one they roped off for me has any miles on the odometer...

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
The local dealer near me (not my dealer) received a presold SS. They drove it around and allowed a bunch of people to sit in it and mess with it, opening and closing things, starting it up, shutting it off etc....It was about 2 weeks before they notified the customer that it had came in. The sales staff were bragging about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife and I toured the Polaris plant about two months ago and witnessed the Slingshot production line. Very interesting experience. Each Slingshot enters a dyno testing station for what appeared to be a five to seven minute test session with the technician cycling through various throttle positions, gear throws, etc. Maybe a few miles tops but I doubt that the odometer is even active during the testing. I think your bike had a phantom rider between the factory and the time the dealership handed over the keys to you.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The local dealer near me (not my dealer) received a presold SS. They drove it around and allowed a bunch of people to sit in it and mess with it, opening and closing things, starting it up, shutting it off etc....It was about 2 weeks before they notified the customer that it had came in. The sales staff were bragging about it.
For serious? That sounds fishy.

Hey, @evomind, that doesn't sound right. Polaris had preproduction models for extreme testing, including one they dynoed for several thousand miles. Normally, I'd say make sure your warranty is written with +44 miles on it, but the SS has an unlimited mileage warranty for two years, so you are covered anyway.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got back from test driving Evo's SS. In the rain. Fun!

One thing - the 'demo' model they had for the last couple of weeks.

The youngish tech guy said he took it out and experienced it a bit.

Any chance THAT is the vehicle they gave you and not your 'new shipment' one? 44 miles sounds about right for a dealer dude popping it around the glorious hamlet of Woodstock, IL.

I asked that, they said no. Plus it doesnt have the same paint run off on the back the demo had when we saw the demo.
Why would they test drive mine when they have had a demo sitting there for 2-3 weeks???
Polaris pulls Victorys off the line and dynos those.
The miles on the dyno could also be a few break in miles before letting it rip so much.
Honestly I really dont care that much. I didnt notice it, they told me, and I tend to believe the dealer. Would I be shocked to learn otherwise? Of course not nut I have no reason to doubt them at this point. The interior had no scuffs (indicative of a floor model) or anything like that, and as I mentioned it didnt have the same paint run off as the demo they had from day 1. And the tires looked pristine.
Weird though.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts