Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good thinking!

Let us know how much it helps.
Travaz, you must do this, it will cut your heat the most and for only $18 for one side. Look at my thread for installing the insulation. Then select my method of a air vent system or the fresh air in front system introduced by Nemesis 1701. His idea has a lot of merit and will give cooler air, but I just like the simplicity of my short air vents to the mud flap holes. I feel the insulation is the key to cutting most of the heat down. All other mods are only going to improve by a small margin. Good luck, but order and install the insulation and go with that first and see how far you want to go. We are all here with one gold. Help our new owners get to the level we are faster than we did.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Both systems work great, Samowens44 has done a superb job combining insulation and fresh air. The floor and fire wall insulation will be my second mod. Now it's up to you. I used vacuum cleaner hoses and attachments I bought at a local hardware, the pic of the install are pretty simple to follow, I used tie wraps and several screws and made the hole behind the glove compartment with a door knob hole saw. (((((( WITH CAUTION )))))))) FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT TOWARDS THE CABIN>>>>>>>. Now if you the issues with your hood alignment look at " http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/simple-tips-that-help.4490/" and I'll be more than happy to help there also.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Now here is something I ordered today. I will install it on the underneath of the Driver and Passengerside Floorboards. I will also add a layer of it to the transmission area. Also another layer on in the engine compartment on the firewall in back of the exhaust muffler. There will be video and review of the results.
View attachment 13236

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Turbo-Exhaust-Muffler-Insulation-Heat-Shield-Mat-100cm-x-100cm-x-0-5cm-/161473980446
Very, Very important note when adding Insulation to floorboard area:
One more important finding on the Adding Insulation to the floorboard. After thinking about it, I discovered that I have covered the four drain holes in the floorboard area. You must, I repeat Must, cut the insulation from around these holes for drainage. If you have already covered them as I have, Stick a sharp pointed tool through from the top to find the hole and just cut a half inch square around the hole. Please all my friends that have followed my post. Get the word out to do this, I don't have the time as I am getting ready to travel out west and can't do it. I just have this time now. Post something about it under my threads on adding insulation for sure. Thanks to all, I will be back soon as I land in Oregon around June. Snazzy is loaded on our trailer called Snuggy and hooked the the RV, we leave this morning. Hi Ho Silver, Away!!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Also for any of the Base model that are adding insulation to the center console the storage ben/pocket has holes that flow into the area. Make sure to not block the small drain holes in the center cross brace just under and behind the storage pocket!

·
Registered
626 Posts
We put the SS, Snazzy on Snuggy, our trailer, then hook the Trailer to the RV. I see you concern. It is ok.
not concern just interested because I use a motorhome and naturally going to trailer the ss. I had 2 wheelers on a lift and of course the cruiserlift is now for sale. Party on. And thanks for the video on insulation ; the tranny is a bear to get around.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It is made to insulate from muffler heat, so I would think the adhistive system would be up to the task. I have already driven with it on and no sign of letting go. I will report back in a couple of month on how successful this all works.
nice video. It would be really nice to have quantifiable results from before/after - like infrared temp readings. Nevertheless, good effort. Yes, please...keep us updated on how durable it is after miles of summer temps and road speed winds whipping at it.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
not concern just interested because I use a motorhome and naturally going to trailer the ss. I had 2 wheelers on a lift and of course the cruiserlift is now for sale. Party on. And thanks for the video on insulation ; the tranny is a bear to get around.
You could look at my trailer loading video on youtube, samowens44, also have a thread on the forum. I have already been where you are trying to get.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
nice video. It would be really nice to have quantifiable results from before/after - like infrared temp readings. Nevertheless, good effort. Yes, please...keep us updated on how durable it is after miles of summer temps and road speed winds whipping at it.
Fred, I agree, there would be a lot of quantifiable results that need to be done. I am just using my passenger to tell me how well she feels. That is all that counts, how happy she is. I do all my research for her, you are just along for the ride and let you know our results. At this point I can report that we have reached our maximum inefficiency. Only A/C will go beyond. Plugin holes is tops, Insulation is the second most important modification, then the air vent system. With my vent to the mud flap area, I get nice air flow on my legs when wearing shorts. My wife must use a towel to cover her leg when the sun is in the wrong position, it burn her too much. I recommend my mods outlined in the order listed. I guarantee you will notice a difference.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Now here is something I ordered today. I will install it on the underneath of the Driver and Passengerside Floorboards. I will also add a layer of it to the transmission area. Also another layer on in the engine compartment on the firewall in back of the exhaust muffler. There will be video and review of the results.
View attachment 13236

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Turbo-Exhaust-Muffler-Insulation-Heat-Shield-Mat-100cm-x-100cm-x-0-5cm-/161473980446
Important note, do not cover floorboard drain holes.

·
Registered
626 Posts
You could look at my trailer loading video on youtube, samowens44, also have a thread on the forum. I have already been where you are trying to get.
I have already trailered a wing with a car all over the country behind my motorhome several times. Been there done that. My insulation job is a success ; just a little more tweaking.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have found another way to plug the big hole on the drivers side bulk head. It is called window gasket weather strip, those that have worked on old cars know what I am talking about. I ordered 2 sizes from Steele Rubber Products, they are listed under dense extrusions. The part numbers are 18-0003-83 which has a 1/2" lip and the other is 60-0083-99 which has a 3/8" lip. Imagine a 3/4" x 4" hole, you put a strip of the 60-0083-99 on both sides and let overlap the hole becomes air tight if you do it right. I would advise you to make a pattern of the hole on cardboard and fit to the hole in the cardboard and then do install. I am going to have to play with the 2" steering shaft hole and see how that will work out. It has got to look better than insulation stuffed in the holes. I ordered 2 ft. of each to try, 1 is $4.30 a ft. the other $4.50 a ft.. Ordered yesterday, received today, how is that for service? FORGET THIS IDEA. I DID IT BUT IS TO LABOR INTENSIVE NOT WORTH IT. SORRY GUYS I MESSED UP ON THIS ONE

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have found another way to plug the big hole on the drivers side bulk head. It is called window gasket weather strip, those that have worked on old cars know what I am talking about. I ordered 2 sizes from Steele Rubber Products, they are listed under dense extrusions. The part numbers are 18-0003-83 which has a 1/2" lip and the other is 60-0083-99 which has a 3/8" lip. Imagine a 3/4" x 4" hole, you put a strip of the 60-0083-99 on both sides and let overlap the hole becomes air tight if you do it right. I would advise you to make a pattern of the hole on cardboard and fit to the hole in the cardboard and then do install. I am going to have to play with the 2" steering shaft hole and see how that will work out. It has got to look better than insulation stuffed in the holes. I ordered 2 ft. of each to try, 1 is $4.30 a ft. the other $4.50 a ft.. Ordered yesterday, received today, how is that for service?
It is great to see our members working toward solutions for our heat problem. I know with everyone working together we will find just the right fixes and make it look good. Like to see some photos or video when you install this.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Sorry people I don't know how to do pictures on the forum. Still learning how to use the forum. Still can not figure out how to change the format for these messages. Will have to wait for Maggie Valley, maybe someone will take pictures and post or show me how. Besides I hate computers, but we have to learn how to live with them.

·
Super Moderator
5,855 Posts
Good morning Ej! You guys are getting together to ride today!! Slingking is so excited to get his SS!! I am going to be raising funds/donations for Big Love Cancer Care at Comicpalooza this weekend!!! Should be fun!! Y'all have fun and ride safe Sir! Tell all I said Hello!!!

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry people I don't know how to do pictures on the forum. Still learning how to use the forum. Still can not figure out how to change the format for these messages. Will have to wait for Maggie Valley, maybe someone will take pictures and post or show me how. Besides I hate computers, but we have to learn how to live with them.
Funnycycle, I will do a short tutorial soon to show people how to get photos on the forum. I know there are others who don't know how. You have a good Idea and we all like photos or videos. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts