1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Man, that stuff is thick. I have dynamat that I use that works fairly well and its really thin. I imagine that stuff works great.
I couldnt get my hand up there to apply any into the trans tunnel.
also, there already is some heat shielding on the firewall and where there isnt its awfully hard to get to.
Let us know where exactly you apply it all.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, that stuff is thick. I have dynamat that I use that works fairly well and its really thin. I imagine that stuff works great.
I couldnt get my hand up there to apply any into the trans tunnel.
also, there already is some heat shielding on the firewall and where there isnt its awfully hard to get to.
Let us know where exactly you apply it all.
I should receive the insulation material by 1st of next week. I will be making a video and posting of all my applications of insulation and doing test runs. This will be engineering in progress and modifications are always an option.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thinking!

Let us know how much it helps.
Oh, yeh, I will do a complete show and tell. Can't wait to get started. I really love the improvements I made with the air vent. It is nice to have air circulating in the floorboards. I am still evaluating the cup holder insulation projects.

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,704 Posts
Oh, yeh, I will do a complete show and tell. Can't wait to get started. I really love the improvements I made with the air vent. It is nice to have air circulating in the floorboards. I am still evaluating the cup holder insulation projects.
Could you stretch a beer coozie over them?

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could you stretch a beer coozie over them?
I did consider that myself, but did not have th coozies and had the foam. A foam type coozie would problable work well. someone try it and report back. My idea is just a starter to try the idea and see if it improves the drink staying cold.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now here is something I ordered today. I will install it on the underneath of the Driver and Passengerside Floorboards. I will also add a layer of it to the transmission area. Also another layer on in the engine compartment on the firewall in back of the exhaust muffler. There will be video and review of the results.
View attachment 13236

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Turbo-Exhaust-Muffler-Insulation-Heat-Shield-Mat-100cm-x-100cm-x-0-5cm-/161473980446
Well, I just completed my installation of the installation material. check out my video link.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I used a similar thick foil backed insulation behind the muffler and there are a lot of holes up under the lip of the windshield and dash. The thick pad behind the muffler helps but a lot of the heat rises and comes in above near the top of the firewall and around the pedals!

The center console behind the stereo or pocket (on the base) is an open hole to the engine compartment. It has one opening forward to the engine and another opening going down towards the top of the transmission. Both need to be insulated.

The insulation I have installed around the pedals and behind the muffler and up under the upper dash/firewall seems to help a lot!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm not sure that will stay stuck. If it uses the same adhesive as "dynamat" it will come lose after awhile. Most of the acoustic and heat shield material adhesive is just so it will not move around, but usually will not self adhere for very long. really meant to be place in-between or on top of surfaces.
I hope it works because I have a huge roll of dynamat left over from my last stereo install.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should receive the insulation material by 1st of next week. I will be making a video and posting of all my applications of insulation and doing test runs. This will be engineering in progress and modifications are always an option.
I'm not sure that will stay stuck. If it uses the same adhesive as "dynamat" it will come lose after awhile. Most of the acoustic and heat shield material adhesive is just so it will not move around, but usually will not self adhere for very long. really meant to be place in-between or on top of surfaces.
I hope it works because I have a huge roll of dynamat left over from my last stereo install.
It is made to insulate from muffler heat, so I would think the adhistive system would be up to the task. I have already driven with it on and no sign of letting go. I will report back in a couple of month on how successful this all works.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used a similar thick foil backed insulation behind the muffler and there are a lot of holes up under the lip of the windshield and dash. The thick pad behind the muffler helps but a lot of the heat rises and comes in above near the top of the firewall and around the pedals!

The center console behind the stereo or pocket (on the base) is an open hole to the engine compartment. It has one opening forward to the engine and another opening going down towards the top of the transmission. Both need to be insulated.

The insulation I have installed around the pedals and behind the muffler and up under the upper dash/firewall seems to help a lot!
Like you I found there are so many holes for heat to get through. I did put some insulation over the area of the Glove Box. It could pass for an oven, put a chicken in there and it would be done in an hour. Hope this piece of heat shield will help cut down the heat a little.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts