Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday in heavy traffic I had to straddle a piece of a pallet with nails sticking up. It made me wonder what I should carry in the SS for roadside tire repair. Maybe a plug kit and a small compressor? Fix-A-Flat or whatever it's called? It seems to me that no matter how careful we are the back tire is going to be something of a magnet for road debris. I expect to be able to dodge visible road trash 99% of the time, and 80% of what I can't dodge won't hurt anything, but...

Opinions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have rode the Can Am Spyder for the last 4 years. It has never been a huge issue. With the wide stance on the slingshot, most debris on the rode should fit between the front and rear tire.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'd never depend on luck here. My cars mostly have run-flat tires (which suck) with no spare and are only good for about 50 miles. I'm frequently much further from help than that.

I carry fix-a-flat, a good tire plug kit and small compressor which has bailed me out many times. I don't leave home without them.

Reactions: C.G

·
Registered
542 Posts
On any road trips I'll take along a plug kit & air compressor. I might even put in a tire sealant like Ride On tire sealant. -- http://www.ride-on.com/
I have used it in mc tires before. With the wide flat tires on the SS it should work great as a protectant on ordinary punctures. You'll always probably need to replace any tire with damaged sidewalls regardless.

Reactions: C.G

·
Registered
210 Posts
i think storage is a bit premium for a compressor but maybe that's me. I will probably just toss a can of fix a flat in one of the bins or the glove. This will be my third vehicle I have owned without a spare.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I have a Slime compressor that, air cord and electrical cords included, fits in a relatively small space approximately 2.25" x 6" x 6".

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I've only had to use my Slime compressor on a motorcycle tire once, but it did the job. Given the size of the tires on the Slingshot, I would prefer a small pump that might take awhile to inflate the tire over multiple CO2 cartridges simply because I know I can use the pump again if I still have a leak while the CO2 cartridges are only good for one shot.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Everyone should carry a tire compressor and tire plug kit.
I plan on also carrying a small tool kit. Spare belt.
Will be getting AAA. This way I'll be covered on all my vehicles.
Just incase.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Everyone should carry a tire compressor and tire plug kit.
I plan on also carrying a small tool kit.
Will be getting AAA. This way I'll be covered on all my vehicles.
Just incase.
Batslinger, make sure you get motorcycle coverage with AAA too, their regular policy doesn't cover bikes.

·
Registered
426 Posts
In the case of break down, what kind of tow truck do you guys recommend? Word is that a regular hook truck is not advised by Polaris, and I can see the front fin assembly getting destroyed loading it onto a tilt roll back, frontwards or backwards.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
In the case of break down, what kind of tow truck do you guys recommend? Word is that a regular hook truck is not advised by Polaris, and I can see the front fin assembly getting destroyed loading it onto a tilt roll back, frontwards or backwards.
Yeah, Polaris is recommending a flatbed hauler.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Kip, are they readily available from most towing services? I am a tourer to say the least, not into riding around town and bar hopping, so I might, MIGHT need to know this.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
All my other Polaris toys came with a small tool kit somewhere in or on it, any idea if the Slingshot will have one?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts