Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday in heavy traffic I had to straddle a piece of a pallet with nails sticking up. It made me wonder what I should carry in the SS for roadside tire repair. Maybe a plug kit and a small compressor? Fix-A-Flat or whatever it's called? It seems to me that no matter how careful we are the back tire is going to be something of a magnet for road debris. I expect to be able to dodge visible road trash 99% of the time, and 80% of what I can't dodge won't hurt anything, but...

Opinions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have rode the Can Am Spyder for the last 4 years. It has never been a huge issue. With the wide stance on the slingshot, most debris on the rode should fit between the front and rear tire.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I'd never depend on luck here. My cars mostly have run-flat tires (which suck) with no spare and are only good for about 50 miles. I'm frequently much further from help than that.

I carry fix-a-flat, a good tire plug kit and small compressor which has bailed me out many times. I don't leave home without them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
On any road trips I'll take along a plug kit & air compressor. I might even put in a tire sealant like Ride On tire sealant. -- http://www.ride-on.com/
I have used it in mc tires before. With the wide flat tires on the SS it should work great as a protectant on ordinary punctures. You'll always probably need to replace any tire with damaged sidewalls regardless.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i think storage is a bit premium for a compressor but maybe that's me. I will probably just toss a can of fix a flat in one of the bins or the glove. This will be my third vehicle I have owned without a spare.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I have a Slime compressor that, air cord and electrical cords included, fits in a relatively small space approximately 2.25" x 6" x 6".

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I've only had to use my Slime compressor on a motorcycle tire once, but it did the job. Given the size of the tires on the Slingshot, I would prefer a small pump that might take awhile to inflate the tire over multiple CO2 cartridges simply because I know I can use the pump again if I still have a leak while the CO2 cartridges are only good for one shot.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Everyone should carry a tire compressor and tire plug kit.
I plan on also carrying a small tool kit. Spare belt.
Will be getting AAA. This way I'll be covered on all my vehicles.
Just incase.

·
Registered
426 Posts
In the case of break down, what kind of tow truck do you guys recommend? Word is that a regular hook truck is not advised by Polaris, and I can see the front fin assembly getting destroyed loading it onto a tilt roll back, frontwards or backwards.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
In the case of break down, what kind of tow truck do you guys recommend? Word is that a regular hook truck is not advised by Polaris, and I can see the front fin assembly getting destroyed loading it onto a tilt roll back, frontwards or backwards.
Yeah, Polaris is recommending a flatbed hauler.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
All my other Polaris toys came with a small tool kit somewhere in or on it, any idea if the Slingshot will have one?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts