Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I think we can all acknowledge (and not be defensive) of the fact that there are some real issues around fit and finish with these vehicles. Some I chalk up to production works ripping bongs (loose battery cables) or perhaps dealers not doing PDI (in their defense, brand new - they'll get it better).

I'm planning on buying an SS in spring, but some of these issues concern me. My big concern is - if they are screwing up easy things like paint on plastic, what confidence do I have in other more substantial elements (ala a power train they have no history with):

- Plastic panel edges
- Paint coagulation
- Soft/easily scratch able paint
- Red pigment wearing off on seats after 150 miles
- Seats lining up

The question is - how much does it bother you? Where do you guys stand?

We've seen the 'hey $20K vehicle' rationalization. Sorry, that dog don't hunt for me. A Honda Fit is a $15K vehicle and it's fit and finish is excellent. Granted, mass production Honda is not equal to niche product low production SS. Polaris has been making vehicles for over 50 years. Putting clear coat on a panel is not rocket surgery and should be expected on ANY vehicle, regardless of price. Not to mention that the opportunity for errors just isn't there for this vehicle - no doors, no glass, no panel gaps to consider, little or no interior, etc.

As much as I hate winter, I'm glad I'll be buying in Spring and allowing this first batch to get the kinks worked out. Again, if I see bad paint, I'm loathe to think 'bad other stuff'.

Chime in - how do you guys feel about the fit and finish issues?

·
2,333 Posts
Edge finish and paint "coagulation" seem to be improving and I expect that trend will continue

"Soft" paint is common on motorsports products, While it swirls easily it chips less so. You just need to know how to care for it.

One (1) report of the red overlay on the SL seat peeling and it seems to be a prep/adhesion problem that last I heard will be taken care of.

Seat alignment is not a concern on all units, has anyone loosened the seats and hoops to realign stacked tolerances.

To use your Honda analogy are you aware of the paint and finish problems on late model Goldwings. I do believe it is acceptable to compare the SS with other small production number powersports products rather than automated production line world wide market automobiles no matter the cost.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Edge finish and paint "coagulation" seem to be improving and I expect that trend will continue

"Soft" paint is common on motorsports products, While it swirls easily it chips less so. You just need to know how to care for it.

One (1) report of the red overlay on the SL seat peeling and it seems to be a prep/adhesion problem that last I heard will be taken care of.

Seat alignment is not a concern on all units, has anyone loosened the seats and hoops to realign stacked tolerances.

To use your Honda analogy are you aware of the paint and finish problems on late model Goldwings. I do believe it is acceptable to compare the SS with other small production number powersports products rather than automated production line world wide market automobiles no matter the cost.

The whole Goldwing line. F6b etc...
But that doesnt make it "ok."

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ok, so I think we can all acknowledge (and not be defensive) of the fact that there are some real issues around fit and finish with these vehicles. Some I chalk up to production works ripping bongs (loose battery cables) or perhaps dealers not doing PDI (in their defense, brand new - they'll get it better).

I'm planning on buying an SS in spring, but some of these issues concern me. My big concern is - if they are screwing up easy things like paint on plastic, what confidence do I have in other more substantial elements (ala a power train they have no history with):

- Plastic panel edges
- Paint coagulation
- Soft/easily scratch able paint
- Red pigment wearing off on seats after 150 miles
- Seats lining up

The question is - how much does it bother you? Where do you guys stand?

We've seen the 'hey $20K vehicle' rationalization. Sorry, that dog don't hunt for me. A Honda Fit is a $15K vehicle and it's fit and finish is excellent. Granted, mass production Honda is not equal to niche product low production SS. Polaris has been making vehicles for over 50 years. Putting clear coat on a panel is not rocket surgery and should be expected on ANY vehicle, regardless of price. Not to mention that the opportunity for errors just isn't there for this vehicle - no doors, no glass, no panel gaps to consider, little or no interior, etc.

As much as I hate winter, I'm glad I'll be buying in Spring and allowing this first batch to get the kinks worked out. Again, if I see bad paint, I'm loathe to think 'bad other stuff'.

Chime in - how do you guys feel about the fit and finish issues?

Jeff, how close did you look at the gray model at Woodstock?
I noticed the gauge bubbles or whatever, I did notice some of the plastic edges were rough as you noted, but to tell you the truth, Im not sure I would have noticed if I didnt have a heads up or until I washed it by hand.
Granted, a couple of the imperfections were more noticeable than others. Im not sure how they "fix" rough tears from the mold. A whole new panel? Bad clear? A whole new panel?
I didnt notice the seats being misaligned while sitting in it, but I drive a Viper so maybe im used to it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Of course, but why? We aren't talking about carbon fiber fabrication here. It's basic paint and clear coat. Not rocket science. The paint edges on the base model demo I looked at were embarrassing. Granted, wouldn't make me NOT buy the vehicle and I said, I'm trusting they'll get it all tweaked by the time the weather breaks and I buy, but just mulling it through. Again, my concern is power train and warranty issues (getting the vehicle to do the dealer is a) a pain in the arse and b) not easy).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff, how close did you look at the gray model at Woodstock?
I noticed the gauge bubbles or whatever, I did notice some of the plastic edges were rough as you noted, but to tell you the truth, Im not sure I would have noticed if I didnt have a heads up or until I washed it by hand.
Granted, a couple of the imperfections were more noticeable than others. Im not sure how they "fix" rough tears from the mold. A whole new panel? Bad clear? A whole new panel?
I didnt notice the seats being misaligned while sitting in it, but I drive a Viper so maybe im used to it.
Yeah, like a mole I guess - notice it when people point it out. Looked pretty noticeable and again, not the end of the Earth and not a deal breaker.

My concern is that it makes me think of QC issues in other, more important, parts of the vehicle. Like they power train they have no history with. Add to that, warranty/service work via dealers that may not be used to and/or certified to work on GM motors and transmissions.

Could be all for naught and hope it is, but worthy of discussion.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yeah, even though a warranty issue they should come get the vehicle but you might hear things like "we can come out the third Tuesday after next..."

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yeah, like a mole I guess - notice it when people point it out. Looked pretty noticeable and again, not the end of the Earth and not a deal breaker.

My concern is that it makes me think of QC issues in other, more important, parts of the vehicle. Like they power train they have no history with. Add to that, warranty/service work via dealers that may not be used to and/or certified to work on GM motors and transmissions.

Could be all for naught and hope it is, but worthy of discussion.

Im not worried abt the engine or trans itself, just that beveled gear or whatever its called.
Id be more worried if I had forced induction and a sticky tire with that beveled gear. :)
Well...maybe just a tad worried. lol

·
2,333 Posts
The whole Goldwing line. F6b etc...
But that doesnt make it "ok."

Didn't intend to imply it was, only that even a company as large and with as long a history as Honda can have concerns with a new production line. Give them some time and unlike Honda I fully expect they will address it. Its out there, Polaris knows it, beating it to death won't speed up the process.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The qc issues bother me as well and the 20k argument does not work for me either. Their are a plethora of road vehicles in the 20k range which do not have these issues and although 20k doesnt mean you should expect bmw fit and finish (i pray we avoid bmw reliability) it doesn't excuse it from meeting up to the quality you could see in a basic car such as a fit, soul, civic, etc as those offer a mountain more worth of feature and for a lower price which I exchange for the limited production nature of this thing.

I am worried about the belt drive section of the trans simply because its unproven. the GM and the rest of the trans I am pretty sure will outlast the rest of the vehicle.

I personally feel the real test will come over the next 6 months - 1 year to see if these are just rushed qc superficial issues to which polaris seems to be taking on or they are the tip of the iceberg which will end up making the SS about as reliable as an old lotus. The only mechanical issue we seem to have so far is one leaky one but that could be a quick non locked down clamp issue.

If the superficial issues persist I am still interested but it will certainly downgrade my opinion of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
As a member of too many motorized vehicle related forums to list this discussion is the same path traveled over and over yet the questions will continue to be asked. The one guarantee is that reliability will be all over the board. Some owners will flog their SS on a weekly basis. Some will push it to the ragged edge with power upgrades and mods. For others it will sit motionless for months on end with barely any miles put on it in stock form. As such, some people just tend to break things more than others. :)

I really don't have a problem with these types of discussions its just funny when you keep hearing the same comments but directed at all different types of vehicles. "If I am spending XXXXX and this thing is not at least as reliable as my XXXX that I paid XXXXX for then all hell is about to break loose."

For these people I always offer the same advice. Purchase your XXXX brand new. Keep it bone stock. Have the dealer maintain it or keep flawless maintenance records and do not skip or extend one single service interval. Purchase an extended factory warranty for as many years as you can for the time you intend to keep it.

As for the cosmetic stuff that you can see before you buy. Well, that is a decision each prospective purchaser has to make for themself. If it bothers you get the civic. The fit and finish will make you a much happier camper over the long run.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I hate to say it but today the rough edges cut a ladys hand getting out of my SS. Its pretty bad. The mould it was in left a rough edge. They didnt sand it at all. She was getting out and laid her hand on it and it was like a bad paper cut. Its unacceptable in any book for the plastic to be this bad. Also when u look at my hood it has splotches of dark and light areas. I will be getting polaris to send me some painted parts. I will probably go by the dealer this weekend and start a warranty claim.

Also the hood edges have the paint seperating from the plastic on the edge.

And today at two stops the engine went to 3000 rpm and stayed there for about 10 seconds. And it stalled out at another stop.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thats pretty bad its so rough its slicing people up. I am curious what polaris will have to say in regards to that and the engine issue.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Thats pretty bad its so rough its slicing people up. I am curious what polaris will have to say in regards to that and the engine issue.
Yea. I felt so bad having to post that kind of info. But it was very true. And yall know what im talking about when I say papercut. I bet it freaking hurt. But its not a dramatic thing. And the obes that have a SS already can go check yours. It on the passenger side wing that is where the door typically would be I guess. Its the seam where it came out of the mold.

·
Registered
82 Posts
well you gotta remember it's a first year machine in a class polaris has never done before. early buyers beware there will be bugs. next year will probably have most everything fixed up :D and maybe some new colors!

as for the paint quality and durability if it's anything like my 900 the paint is pretty dang durable! the vynals suck... but the slingshot doesn't have those.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The SS just wouldn't look right dressed up in vinyl decals. That was a good call!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts