Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a quick ride I think the first thing that might fail is the clutch.
I always smell it at least once on every quick 5-10 minute drive.
Im not even abusing it as bad as some of the videos Ive seen.
:)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
That's not good. We were hoping the clutch would take the added power of the turbo. Always thought the weak link was going to be the tire first, the angle drive second, followed by the beltt and the clutch was the least of my worries. At least if it does go, there are plenty of options available unlike the alternative if it was the belt or angle drive that went first.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I smell the same thing always.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
I dont smell anything like a clutch on mine, however it does have the new vehicle burnoff smell. With open cab I bet your smelling the motor.

·
Vendor
118 Posts
I dont smell anything like a clutch on mine, however it does have the new vehicle burnoff smell. With open cab I bet your smelling the motor.
X2 on this @WingShot. At this risk of sounding too much of a GM fanboy.. The clutch is another example of a Genuine GM part on the SS, heck polaris didnt even bother to change the part number, same with the AC Delco oil filter. So even if you are a novice manual trans driver, or you're slamming gears i dont think the clutch is burning up.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Is it possible that with the open air cockpit design, and quite literally having the tranny in there with you, even the slightest of normal mechanical odors are now detectable? Whereas in a regular vehicle, they would go unnoticed.

·
2,333 Posts
Is it possible that with the open air cockpit design, and quite literally having the tranny in there with you, even the slightest of normal mechanical odors are now detectable? Whereas in a regular vehicle, they would go unnoticed.

This ............... its the same with any dry clutch motorcycle.

·
Registered
776 Posts
That could well be. I don't even have mine yet. So maybe I should just refrain from commenting on such things .

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am getting the same smell, but then I noticed that it is stronger on the pasenger's side, even while it was just sitting and idling, and it hit me. I think what I am smelling is the new muffler burn-off. I got the same smell when I put new pipes on a jeep wrangler. Just a thought.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am getting the same smell, but then I noticed that it is stronger on the pasenger's side, even while it was just sitting and idling, and it hit me. I think what I am smelling is the new muffler burn-off. I got the same smell when I put new pipes on a jeep wrangler. Just a thought.[/QUOTE
I am getting the same smell, but then I noticed that it is stronger on the pasenger's side, even while it was just sitting and idling, and it hit me. I think what I am smelling is the new muffler burn-off. I got the same smell when I put new pipes on a jeep wrangler. Just a thought.
New vehicles do have " That smell "
New vehicles do have " That smell "

·
Registered
80 Posts
You are smelling the exhaust fumes. Very noticeable beating on it on driver side but always noticeable on the passenger side all the time. I sat in passenger seat for a short time last weekend and I was smelling it all the time.

·
Registered
776 Posts
You are smelling the exhaust fumes. Very noticeable beating on it on driver side but always noticeable on the passenger side all the time. I sat in passenger seat for a short time last weekend and I was smelling it all the time.
I said I would refrain from comments, but I just can't help myself. An over heated clutch smells somewhat like overheated breaks. But nothing like exhaust !!!!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's the only thing I have smelled on mine and I've done some good beating on it. I agree a clutch has a distinct smell but I've not gotten it yet. I'm at 600 miles

1 - 20 of 46 Posts