Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke to a very good friend who recieved his trike a few days ago. He has been keeping me informed of his opinions of the machine since I am on a list and know he will not hold back if there is bad to report. Since his ride home from the dealer 120mi away he said the drive line noise was nearly unbearable. It detracted so much from the ride he couldn't concentrate on anything else. His hopes were that it would get better with more break in miles. He also said the brake and clutch pedals were too close together and several times his feet touched while braking with the clutch depressed. He also commented that the brakes didn't give him a feeling of confidence even realizing that they were not power assisted. Well, on a ride thru the mountains of N Ga he came upon some stopped traffic, speed and distance were not an issue as he was on a straight section of road and saw the cars ahead with plenty of time to stop. He depressed the clutch and when applying the brake the pedal caught on his left shoe. In the short time it took him to release the brake pedal and move his foot the distance to the cars had become much closer and now required a hard stop. He told me that no matter how hard he pushed on the pedal there just wasn't enough braking force. Ultimately he ran into the right rear of the car ahead with the left front of the Slingshot, completely tearing off the wheel and suspension and appearing to twist the frame. Very sad indeed. As sorry as I was to hear of his crash I was sorrier to hear when he said he hopes the insurance company totals it because it just wasn't what he expected it to be. He in fact said the only thing he liked about it was the way it looked. This is comming from an experienced motorcyclist with a drag racing and raod racing back ground who has also owned a slew of sports cars in his life. What I am looking for from those of you that would respond is an honest critique of the Slingshot. I am not a guy that buys things for the "look at me" factor, my priorities are power, handling and comfort, along ofcourse with the fun factor of the ride. Considering that the same money will buy a 5 or 6 year old Vette with AC, windows and a top I'm on the fence. Please reply guys!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also sounds like his interpretation of "speed and distance were not an issue as he was on a straight section of road and saw the cars ahead with plenty of time to stop" was a bit skewed as well.

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
Sorry to hear of the accident! I also live in the N Ga mountains! Please PM me with some additional information.

I have not even seen any issue with the brakes or pedals. The driveline whine is there at times but not any more than the driveline noise of my Valkyrie or the whine of my Burgman.

The comfort, performance and general drive has been excelent and wind protection is very good.

Sorry for your friend and his SS but it sounds like he is expecting a Car and not looking at it as a motorcycle. The brakes and pedals issues do not apear to be a problem to me. I am am also an old guy (68) with a size 11 shoe and have had none of the concerns your friend has.

I have not tried a panic braking situation yet but will be checking that out as soon as the weather clears up. My 63 year old wife had driven it almost as many miles as I have and has not had any issues at all and loves it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
The SS is NOT a motorcycle. It does not handle like a motorcycle, ride like a motorcycle, or sound like a motorcycle. I have had both now, and by far I perfer the SS. I am seen more, it is fast, and it is comfortable. Being so low to the ground it feels even faster. I can see how it may not be for everyone, but isn't that the reason for a test drive? You don't have to make the salesman crap his pants to know if you are going to like it, but it is fun. On my test drive I kept it under 70, burnt the tire several times, and got all over it from a dead stop. It sounds to me like your friend bought it for its looks, not for the feeling he got driving it. To me it is like driving a gocart on steroids. I am actually telling myself "its not that cold out". I can see myself putting 25 to 30K on it in 2015.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yea lets see a pick.?? I have no problems with the brake and clutch size and I wear a size 12 wide shoe.
+1 - Size 11

Was he driving with boots on??
My foot-well is a little tight but not BTW clutch and Brake. iIs more Gas pedal against transmission tunnel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you were talking to a guy with buyer's remorse who looked for any reason to not own a Slingshot. I call BS on this story. I love my Slingshot.
Thanks for the input G. I'm glad to hear you love yours. No buyers remorse, he was looking foward to it for months and the money was not an issue. He just didn't like it. Im not looking to have the crash critiqued as we all know there are many variables, just the machine. Yours goes into the take delivery column!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also sounds like his interpretation of "speed and distance were not an issue as he was on a straight section of road and saw the cars ahead with plenty of time to stop" was a bit skewed as well.
John, thanks for the reply. Not looking to cirtique his crash, just info on the pedals and brakes. Do you have one? My test ride wasn't enough to notice any flaws.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
This is total BS
  1. If this was true, it would be all over the news..... "first Polaris slingshot totaled"
  2. If this was true, this guy would have pictures to put where his mouth is
  3. If this was true, this guy would be a member longer than two posts
  4. if this was true, this thread shouldn't continue any longer after you read my post
  5. There are many people here that are posting some BS stories. I called one of them out yesterday with no answer yet
  6. Guys please stop answering threads like this, you're just adding wood into a fire that doesn't exist
Thank you

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
John, thanks for the reply. Not looking to cirtique his crash, just info on the pedals and brakes. Do you have one? My test ride wasn't enough to notice any flaws.
Since it's your friend get pictures before you continue talking here.....i'm sure your friend has some to prove you what you say
Until then........

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is total BS
  1. If this was true, it would be all over the news..... "first Polaris slingshot totaled"
  2. If this was true, this guy would have pictures to put where his mouth is
  3. If this was true, this guy would be a member longer than two posts
  4. if this was true, this thread shouldn't continue any longer after you read my post
  5. There are many people here that are posting some BS stories. I called one of them out yesterday with no answer yet
  6. Guys please stop answering threads like this, you're just adding wood into a fire that doesn't exist
Thank you
Mike, please don't question my integrety. This happened Saturday in the N Ga mountains on Hwy 129 just north of Dahlonaga. I can't post pictures, Im not there. I have only two posts because I just found the forum. It is not a BS story it is a list of circumstances that occured and are the reason for my request from owners to critique the vehicle. Your statement that people are posting bullshit stories may be true but this is just a set of circumstances that I am asking for replies to, helpful replies not accusations of being a liar. It's not up to me or you what gets " all over the news"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The SS is NOT a motorcycle. It does not handle like a motorcycle, ride like a motorcycle, or sound like a motorcycle. I have had both now, and by far I perfer the SS. I am seen more, it is fast, and it is comfortable. Being so low to the ground it feels even faster. I can see how it may not be for everyone, but isn't that the reason for a test drive? You don't have to make the salesman crap his pants to know if you are going to like it, but it is fun. On my test drive I kept it under 70, burnt the tire several times, and got all over it from a dead stop. It sounds to me like your friend bought it for its looks, not for the feeling he got driving it. To me it is like driving a gocart on steroids. I am actually telling myself "its not that cold out". I can see myself putting 25 to 30K on it in 2015.
Thanks Todd, #3 in the take delivery column!

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
If you want a car with A/C, Air bags, closed in comfort and safety, then a nice used Vette is a good alternative.

The SS shares the raw performance, and exposure to the elements that you get with a motorcycle! You still feel and sense the SS and the engine noise, driveline whine, exhaust smells and wind in your face. All that is part of the SS experience. I have a Vette too and they are different experiences.

I have seen the word AutoCycle used and is in some states they use tht word as the definition of this vehicle and probably a good name for it!

I like the raw feel of a unincumbered machine that is like the old days of early sports cars befor the safety and technology was added.

The SS is a good blend of that raw sportscar/ motorcycle feel blended with a little new technology and safety. Not a full car with all the new tecno stuff and safer than a raw 2 wheeled motorcycle. Great concept and great execution!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
This is comming from an experienced motorcyclist with a drag racing and raod racing back ground who has also owned a slew of sports cars in his life.
I surprised they guy hasn't been trolling the site for months .Did he own a Lotus ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hear of the accident! I also live in the N Ga mountains! Please PM me with some additional information.

I have not even seen any issue with the brakes or pedals. The driveline whine is there at times but not any more than the driveline noise of my Valkyrie or the whine of my Burgman.

The comfort, performance and general drive has been excelent and wind protection is very good.

Sorry for your friend and his SS but it sounds like he is expecting a Car and not looking at it as a motorcycle. The brakes and pedals issues do not apear to be a problem to me. I am am also an old guy (68) with a size 11 shoe and have had none of the concerns your friend has.

I have not tried a panic braking situation yet but will be checking that out as soon as the weather clears up. My 63 year old wife had driven it almost as many miles as I have and has not had any issues at all and loves it!
Thanks for the reply Gary. His slingshot is at Ware Chevrolet in Blairsville waiting on the insurance adjuster.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I looped a BMW GSA 1200 because I usually ride and shoes and I switched to boots. I went to grab the rear brake while riding a wheelie and my boot sole caught the brake pedal for a split second, a split second too long. It sure isn't BMW's fault, all mine rather. I own up to my mistakes.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If this is true???
It goes like anything else accidents happen.
The SS is a raw machine it is light and powerful. You can drive it normal with no issues. But if you decide to drive it balls to the wall I suggest you find a remote area and put it into some evasive emergency situations to know how it responds!

I have done this and the machine shines in this area! The insurance companies don't want to insure this as it is. We don't need people to start crashing these things all over and making that situation worse.

After 400 miles on my SS I can say that I will avoid congested traffic situations based on other people's reaction to the SS. Too many distracted drivers already out on the road not watching what they are doing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you want a car with A/C, Air bags, closed in comfort and safety, then a nice used Vette is a good alternative.

The SS shares the raw performance, and exposure to the elements that you get with a motorcycle! You still feel and sense the SS and the engine noise, driveline whine, exhaust smells and wind in your face. All that is part of the SS experience. I have a Vette too and they are different experiences.

I have seen the word AutoCycle used and is in some states they use tht word as the definition of this vehicle and probably a good name for it!

I like the raw feel of a unincumbered machine that is like the old days of early sports cars befor the safety and technology was added.

The SS is a good blend of that raw sportscar/ motorcycle feel blended with a little new technology and safety. Not a full car with all the new tecno stuff and safer than a raw 2 wheeled motorcycle. Great concept and great execution!
Thanks for the 2nd reply Gary, seems I've somehow offended people by asking them to critique the SS. I have been looking foward to taking delivery since I put down my depost mid November. I've used the Vette as a comparison only in the broadest sence, I've had 6 of them but never owned a trike. I've ridden several but the only thing close to the SS was the T Rex and although I liked it that was 10 years ago and it was way too expensive. I Didn't care for the Can am, the GW trike was a load, and the Harley, well, it's a Harley. ( Yes I own a Harley now too, just not a trike) Just looking for input, not trying to cause a problem and certianly not making up stories!!!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.