Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my slingshot today,
1. There's coolant dripping on the passenger side floor
2. I can't get the hood open, Driver side is latched but passenger-side will not
3. Seatbelt light is on all the time
But it is a blast to drive!

·
Registered
872 Posts
It is a shame that your dealer did not do a better vehicle prep, but the good news is - all of this is very minor warranty stuff.
1. Polaris uses those cheap hose clamps that are put on with pliers- they leak frequently. Many folks just replace with decent clamps.
2. Hood +/or latch brackets need adjusting- many do. Once it is corrected- usually not an issue again
3. Loose connection, or possible faulty sensor- again pure warranty!

Although it should have not gone out the door that way- all are pretty easy fixes.
Big question- why was your dealer asleep at the wheel? You may need to find a better dealer. JMHO

·
Registered
91 Posts
I picked up my slingshot today,
1. There's coolant dripping on the passenger side floor
2. I can't get the hood open, Driver side is latched but passenger-side will not
3. Seatbelt light is on all the time
But it is a blast to drive!
Went to a car dealership to trade my slingshot in here in califoria 13500 dollars was best offer that offer was a joke I walked out welcome to Polaris product

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not discouraged yet... Things happen I get it... I'll most likely fix it all myself this week if I can or if I must I'll go back to the dealer

·
Registered
156 Posts
Congratulations on owning one of the biggest POS that Polaris has ever produced. There are dealers in my area that are discounting them just to get them off their books.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I was able to adjust the hood latch a bit... So far so good.... and i replaced all the hose clamps with stronger ones to see if that stops the mysterious coolant leak.... But I realized last night I only have one working high beam .... The list is growing ugh

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fixed the high beam issue today... It was the her wire on one light that works the high beam"flapper" that was not plugged in... Easy fix but kind of unacceptable... These are all parts of a PDI in my opinion...

·
Registered
872 Posts
I fixed the high beam issue today... It was the her wire on one light that works the high beam"flapper" that was not plugged in... Easy fix but kind of unacceptable... These are all parts of a PDI in my opinion...
Just so you know- your dealer fills out a "Slingshot Certificate of Pre-Delivery Inspection" Model, engine serial # vin #, etc
Assembly/Service/Inspection In it, some of the things he is SUPPOSED to check, (and signs that he has completed each task):
Battery & voltage, mirrors, parking brake, tire pressure, torque wheel nuts, torque seat bolts, coolant, diagnostics, wire harnesses, hoses, & lines- checking for kins, leaks, brake fluid, oil level, LIGHTS- verify operation & adjustment, brake pedal, belt tension, clutch, ball joints- inspection for retaining rings, intake, & cosmetic.
Then, he is SUPPOSED to take a test drive, verifying brakes clutch/tranny- smooth, driveline smooth, gages operational, suspsension/steering, radio (if applicable-- I think they verify that they are all pretty bad), throttle operation, LEAKAGE of all fluids, after test drive, second diagnostics check, and after diagnostics, a THIRD leakage check. They sign & date each section when completed, and at time of sale, they are SUPPOSED to go over all the above, plus warranty, operation, applicable helmet laws, etc....- with you. You get to sign the form, along with them, saying how you understand everything, and it is SUPPOSED to be in your packet........

APPARENTLY, we have dealers skipping some of these steps............. the white copy stays with the dealer, and the "canary" copy goes to the customer. it is Polaris PN 9925965 RO3. I would scan mine, but being this yellow color, and duplicate form, it won't scan worth a darn.

I would wager that if the dealer actually did these inspections (God knows they charge for them- these are your "set-up/assembly" fees), there would be far less of these petty defects. (I am not saying that they are petty to you- I now we all spent good money, and deserve a good vehicle)...

Next- and more important question........ if the dealer cannot do the basics, before making a tidy profit from you, the customer...... how thorough will he be for any service needs- whether routine maintenance or warranty?? Just sayin'

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was able to adjust the hood latch a bit... So far so good.... and i replaced all the hose clamps with stronger ones to see if that stops the mysterious coolant leak.... But I realized last night I only have one working high beam .... The list is growing ugh

Do yourself a BIG FAVOR and CALL Polaris HQ's directly and open a case. This is only me and I'm not trying to tell you what to do but.... Id take that SS RIGHT back to the dealership and make them address each and everyone of those issues ASAP!! What say something happens during your own repairs and you further complicate things or lets say maybe you actually break something during your own repairs. That might cause you further issues just getting the stuff fixed or replaced in the first place.

I just think you should take the thing back to the dealership and let them take care of things! Just my own opinion and you may very well be more qualified than they are, actually I'm sure you are. However, due to how some dealerships operate under these situations, sometimes the "Blame game" starts, meaning if they think at all that you have caused these issues due to you trying to fix them, they might not fix the items for you in the end. Here's the number to Polaris HQ's, 1-800-765-2747.

I had a serious safety issue with mine and my dealership didn't have the skills to fix the issue. One member told me to contact Polaris directly and I'm sure glad he provided me that insight for sure! Within a days time my issue was taken care of via a tech at Polaris talking directly to the mechanic at the dealership, problem solved! You paid GOOD HARD EARNED MONEY for your SS, NOW let the dealership do what they should have done in the first place during its PREP, which I'm sure you had to pay for that as well!! Good luck and keep us posted, sling on.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, I see you have fixed most or all of the problems you have had up to this time on your SS. Still CALL Polaris to make a case report on the unit!! Its a CYA(cover your ass) situation at this point. If indeed you paid for prep you might be able to work a deal for some or all of that money back to you or maybe even some type of a credit. Maybe not a credit to use at the dealership where you purchased it from but perhaps at a different location.
"NatomasSlingshot" made some VERY VALID points in his threads above. We are only looking out for your best interest and want you to be taken care of like any normal customer should be!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I wouldn't take it back to that dealer, if there was any other one in the area- He has already demonstrated his lack of concern for the paying customer. The ONLY reason I would call corporate was to lodge a complaint against him..... If enough people report the crummy dealers, they might actually lose some points on the Polaris Dealership "star rating" system they have

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is a dealer close to me but I bought mine over 100 miles away cause they had the base model in stock.... I did email them and they asked me to bring it back I just haven't had a full day to dedicate to it when it's not raining on and off yet but I guess the first step is to bring it back and ask them to re-do a complete and proper inspection... I really appreciate everyone's support! This forum is great! Maybe if there is someone close to me in CT they can take mine for a rip when I get it back from the dealer. I do love this thing still but to be honest I don't know if some the noises it makes are normal or not cause I have nothing to compare it to...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts