Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the slingshot. I was driving an automatic version and the transmission was not very smooth. I'm not sure which year it was. If I buy one I will most likely buy a manual.

Is the manual transmission smooth when shifting? The automatic I rented was horrible.

How do you avoid obstacles without the rear tire hitting it? I couldn't figure out how to avoid hitting an obstacle with the rear tire without swerving.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a few questions about the slingshot. I was driving an automatic version and the transmission was not very smooth. I'm not sure which year it was. If I buy one I will most likely buy a manual.

Is the manual transmission smooth when shifting? The automatic I rented was horrible.

How do you avoid obstacles without the rear tire hitting it? I couldn't figure out how to avoid hitting an obstacle with the rear tire without swerving.
The manual is very smooth.I have and recommend a manual. I have a 2020 R and love it.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts

I think that talked about used Slingshots the other day. The auto transmission is only on the new ones. So if you look for a used one it will be a 5 speed manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
143 Posts
First - If you know how to drive a manual, that is the way to go. It will shift as smooth as you shift it. IMHO - An automatic Slingshot is like dancing with your sister, outside of Georgia.
Second - I have read that the Automatics actually learn the driver's behavior and shift accordingly. Obviously, a rental would not get there.
Third - As you become experienced, you learn how to know where that rear tire is. I have several roads with pot-holes that I have learned to navigate where the pot-hole goes between the front wheels and I am able to keep the rear wheel from getting swallowed in them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First - If you know how to drive a manual, that is the way to go. It will shift as smooth as you shift it. IMHO - An automatic Slingshot is like dancing with your sister, outside of Georgia.
Second - I have read that the Automatics actually learn the driver's behavior and shift accordingly. Obviously, a rental would not get there.
Third - As you become experienced, you learn how to know where that rear tire is. I have several roads with pot-holes that I have learned to navigate where the pot-hole goes between the front wheels and I am able to keep the rear wheel from getting swallowed in them.
Thanks. We have a lot of pot holes where I live so I was a little worried. It's good to know that there is enough room between the front and rear tires.

The automatic shifted like an automatic from the 80s. Plus the initial acceleration in the auto is different as well. I had to rev the engine higher then I thought just to start it moving. A manual is definitely going to be better.

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
143 Posts
Thanks. We have a lot of pot holes where I live so I was a little worried. It's good to know that there is enough room between the front and rear tires.

The automatic shifted like an automatic from the 80s. Plus the initial acceleration in the auto is different as well. I had to rev the engine higher then I thought just to start it moving. A manual is definitely going to be better.
That rear tire is wide. As long as the entire tire is not swallowed by the pothole, you should be okay.
There is a street that has manholes in the middle of the lane. Makes sense for 4 wheeled vehicles but not so well for three. Since they have added another layer of pavement, the manholes are actually about 3-4 inches below the road surface. Will give you a pretty good thump if you go into one.
It took me a little while to adapt but I realized I could line the manhole up just so the driver's side wheel was just missing it. This allowed the rear wheel to go across, half in and half out of the dip. Barely notice it.
Like most things, you will develop a technique that works for you.
Just hope you don't live in Memphis. I've been through minefields that were more welcoming.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
The AutoDrive offered on the 2020+ Slingshots is really a manual transmission w/o a clutch pedal with the shifting and clutching being controlled via the engine computer. While the 2020 was reported to shift rather abruptly, the 2021 reportedly has had the shifting software redone for much smoother shifts and the revised software should be available as a free fix at your dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Drive it to make the pothole go directly under your driver's seat....if it's not too big , you'll miss it. And definitely no automatic.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
It does take a while to learn how to miss potholes. I have found if I have to hit one (too big, me ignoring the speed limit, etc.) it's better to hit it with one of your front tires than your rear tire. This goes against the instinct of driving 4 wheel vehicles, where you always straddle it with the front tires.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
It does take a while to learn how to miss potholes. I have found if I have to hit one (too big, me ignoring the speed limit, etc.) it's better to hit it with one of your front tires than your rear tire. This goes against the instinct of driving 4 wheel vehicles, where you always straddle it with the front tires.
The front wheels are generally a little cheaper if one needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
42 Posts

The 2021 Is smoother than the 2020 as I have had both but it doesn't shift as smooth as a car. The Manual does shift good.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I can't afford to buy a 2021 to replace my 2015, but if I were in the market for a 2020 or 2021, I think I'd want to go with the AutoDrive, Paddle Shifters and the Performance Tune to basically provide me with an R model at significant savings. I feel the Paddle Shifters would at least give me a significant degree of control like a manual transmission while allowing for "lazy" driving, too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 2021 Is smoother than the 2020 as I have had both but it doesn't shift as smooth as a car. The Manual does shift good.
I have drove them in Sturgis, the representives should have told you how they shift. They were first designed to be like a 5 speed but just automatic. That is why when it shifts it is a little sluggish. Going up in gears as well as down. It is a funny feeling when driving them. I can't wait to get to Sturgis this year to drive the 21's to see if they listened to customers about the automatics

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have drove them in Sturgis, the representives should have told you how they shift. They were first designed to be like a 5 speed but just automatic. That is why when it shifts it is a little sluggish. Going up in gears as well as down. It is a funny feeling when driving them. I can't wait to get to Sturgis this year to drive the 21's to see if they listened to customers about the automatics
Why not test drive one at your local Slingshot dealership.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes the auto shift is odd unless you are used to driving an automatic in a tractor trailer. As far as pot holes, here in NJ (Pot hole capitol of the world) I have learned to dodge the potholes by going over them on the inside of the front wheels so the rear wheel misses them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a 2020 R auto and I now have a 2021 R auto and the shifting is better and also not as jerky at a low speed as driving around in a shopping center looking for a parking place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts