Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Happy to finally join the community with my very own slingshot.

I bought this 2018 SLR LE today and even though I nearly froze on the ride home (I live in STL and we had below freezing temps today with a 2 hr ride) I couldn't stop smiling the whole way home. I am already incredibly happy with my purchase but I did have a question I wanted to ask.

Did I overpay? I am not highly concerned asI plan on keeping for a very long time. I always do my due diligence when buying a vehicle and feel like I got a good deal but wanted to see how the community felt. At the end of the day iIunderstand the question is somewhat subjective but I look forward to your input. More info on the SS below:

Paid: $22k
Year: 2018
Model: SLR LE
Mileage: 10,500 (new tires)
Mods (worth mentioning): DDM stage 1 turbo (only 1k miles on the turbo), slingshade, JL Stealthbox Speakers, And 2 10" JL subs

I always loved this color combo so after I rented an SS for a weekend and decided I wanted to buy one I began my search for this beauty. I also knew I was either going to turbo or supercharge so this was literally my dream SS within a 2 hr drive from me and I had to jump on it. Anyway, like I said above, I'm excited to join the community.

Brock

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
IMO, you got a decent deal when you consider all of the options (assuming everything's in good running order). Options/Mods generally don't retain more than about 50% of their original cost, but that price seems fair to me. For a 2018 SLR LE, you might have been able to find one for $18-20K, but when you add the costs of the mods, especially if you were adding them to your 2018, you did OK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO, you got a decent deal when you consider all of the options (assuming everything's in good running order). Options/Mods generally don't retain more than about 50% of their original cost, but that price seems fair to me. For a 2018 SLR LE, you might have been able to find one for $18-20K, but when you add the costs of the mods, especially if you were adding them to your 2018, you did OK.
Appreciate the feedback BKL!

I agree with you, I think I could've found one for closer to the $20k mark but had it been out of state, I would've had to pay for shipping and it would've taken up much more of my time which I also factored in to my ultimate decision of buying this unit. As you stated, if I were to buy one of the other SLR LE's that I did find at a lower price point (but stock) and add the slingshade and turbo alone, I would be well over the $22k mark. I understand those items are relative as they don't truly add value for everybody but were items that I wanted/would've purchased myself. My wife struggled with the price I paid and thought it was an outrageous price, but in the end is fine with the purchase.

I am ready for spring to roll in so I can enjoy this bad machine!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I am ready for spring to roll in so I can enjoy this bad machine!
Lower 30's here this morning, and our "Grasshopper" took us for a lil outing so we could take some pictures of the frosty wonderland. Be mindful of the conditions and, as you have already experienced, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to enjoy your SlingShot right now! :)
Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lower 30's here this morning, and our "Grasshopper" took us for a lil outing so we could take some pictures of the frosty wonderland. Be mindful of the conditions and, as you have already experienced, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to enjoy your SlingShot right now! :)
Bill
Bill, glad to hear others aren't scared of a little cold weather LOL you have a very good point! I will definitely still get it out throughout the winter (on days that permit) the only thing that really was cold on my ride home was my feet/toes and that is because I made the mistake of wearing mesh tennis shoes thinking the engine would warm up the the area.

Not to derail the convo but I am looking for other accessories to add to my SS as far as convenience/usefulness/aesthetics (additional cup holders, short throw shifter, quick release steering wheel, etc) what are some of your favorite mods you have added to yours?

Brock

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Not to derail the convo but I am looking for other accessories to add to my SS as far as convenience/usefulness/aesthetics (additional cup holders, short throw shifter, quick release steering wheel, etc) what are some of your favorite mods you have added to yours?
Kinda the wrong person to ask for we are not all that enthused with modding our 2015 SL, but we have added some modifications over the years which I have listed below in order of acquisition. Several have been purchased second hand, so much more reasonably priced than new.

Madstad windshield: The air coming in underneath the windshield adds welcome ventilation and helps decrease the turbulence created within the passenger compartment.
Curb Alert: Helps protect the front end from parking curbs and such.
Paramount Plastics Stealth Rear Fender version 1: No longer manufactured, purchased new but second hand, the best looking fender for the SlingShot, IOP.
Sedici Distanza Sissy Bar Bags: Extra, easily removable, storage at a (then) reasonable cost.
MeanSling hood assist: Helps with controlling the opening and closing of the hood but unfortunately not currently available.
MeanSling Sport Top w/lift: Initially purchased to deflect kicked up road debris from entering the passenger compartment, but subsequent use is keeping the passenger compartment warmer during off-season adventures. Unfortunately again, not currently available.
DDMWorks surge tank: Purchased new, but second hand, to replace the plastic surge tank.
Ventisit ventilated seat cushions: Makes hot summer riding more comfortable but at a substantial cost.
QA1 three-way shocks: Just acquired and installed these second hand in the past week, so still experimenting with them.

Bill

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Heated seat pads. Available on Amazon for around $30-40. One can easily be lugged into the power outlet above the cup holders, maybe 2 if the current draw is low enough for the circuit, or you can try adding a 2nd fuse block and run power cables for the second pad, if you need more than one. The seat pad I bought has both a cooling fan as well as heating capability.
Cup Holders - If I wasn't concerned about blocking the view to my AFR/Boost gauge mounted under the dash cover above my ignition switch, I'd add Polaris Slingshot Dash Mount Cup Holders with Sun Visor. I've read where users have placed 30 oz metal insulated cups in them.
Couldn't tell from the pics, but if you don't already have an AFR/Boost gauge, having both or a combo gauge is essential for monitoring your AFR vs Boost levels, especially with a turbo. SCs build boost gradually and directly related to RPMs, but turbos can produce a wider range of boost pretty much unrelated to RPMs. Getting your turbo to produce high levels of boost combined with high AFR readings (anything much over 15-16) means you risk grenading your engine. When decelerating and my foot off the gas, I sometimes see AFRs over 20. When accelerating, my AFR can drop down to the 10-12 range, but typically is close to 14-15. It's also a good thing to simply know that your system isn't generating more boost than expected. I have a Hahn Stage 2 turbo kit and generally don't expect to see boost levels much over 7 psi, but have occasionally seen it go over 8 psi. Unexpectedly high boost levels might be a sign of a vacuum line problem. Check with the manufcaturer of your turbo kit for expected boost levels. Most common AFR/Boost gauges eem to be the AEM untis followed byt he Innovate SCG-1 unt I use. The SCG-1 comes with a solenoid so you can set it to shut the boost off if conditions get out of whack, but I don't have that option setup.
I can definitely recommend the DDM Works Short Throw Shifter. Big Difference in how far you need to move the shifter. Takes a little more effort, but adding a heavy shift knob can help smooth shifting.
I've thought about adding a removable steering wheel, but after having swapped thru 2 steering wheels and inadvertently breaking my clock spring the second time, I'm not in a great hurry to mess with a third steering wheel removal to add the removable capability. Be careful if you try the switch as some removable setups move the steering wheel noticeably closer to the driver (steering wheel design can also affect this).
If your SLR already has upgraded coilovers, the need for better shocks is much less, but aftermarket coilovers can make a big difference in handling compared to stock coilovers. I have single-adjustable Bilstein coilovers and hope to be able to upgrade to two- or three-way adjustables when I have them rebuilt by Bilstein. Currently, the cheapest path to 2- or 3-way adjustables is via QA1s setup for the Slingshot. There are threads on picking springs and QA1 shocks to roll your own, but I think it's simpler to order them already setup. There are several threads on different brand coilovers available. (I was considering the used set of QA1s that @wjfyfe just bragged about!) 😢
I had a MadStad (also sold as a Twist Dynamics) Single Adjustable 13" windshield for several years. The widhsield allows vertical as well as limited angle adjustment. Great airflow underneath the windshield in hot weather. Didn't care for the coule times bugs detonated at the bottom edge and bug parts flew all over, though. I also drilled a second set of mounting holes that allowed me to position the windhsiled even lower to my hood. I actually made them a liitle too high, resulting in the windshield beisng so close to the hood thast I had to raise the windshield before opening the hood. I swapped the MadStad for an AllThingsSlingshot Tallboy Plus 2 since I was worried about water coming under the windshield and possibly damaging my AFR/Boost gauge. Fits well with the lines of my Twist Dynamics Top and was designed to fit with the Slingshade. F4 Customs makes some very durable, scratch-resistant windshields in several sizes if you want a slighlt more vertical windshield.
I ran gas cartridges on each side of the hood for several years, but changing to the ZZ Performance Billet Hood hinges provides a LOT more access under the hood near the front of the engine compartment, as do the DDM Works hood hinge kit. The ZZP kit doesn't normally use cartridges and is well balanced, but reportdly can also ise gas cartridges to make it easier to open/close. I can open my hood to the point that the front edge is within about 2" of the ground. The DDM kit does use a gas cartridge to make it easier to avoid dropping the hood when closing.
Lots of little things can be added, if desired. I have the DDM Works Master Cylinder Brace (haven't gotten around to installing it). I also have the 2-Bar MAP Sensor clip to hopefully help make sure it doesn't pop off.
I'm currently fiddling with replacing the stock outer auxiliary headlights and the Canadian Headlights with Hella 90mm High and Low beam separate units. I hope to post something soon. I also want to wire the outer Low beam units to a circuit independent of the main headlight circuit so I always have access to a set of working headlights.
I got tired of having to readjust (bend back) the stock Lower Front Wing after hitting critters during night rides. Several years ago, I replaced the Front Lower Wing with a rear deck spopiler I bought on EBay and replaced it about 1 year ago with a MadSatd Ultimate Bumper with some strip lights in the middle of the bumper panels. I had a young lady come up one night and said she worked at a Slingshot dealer, but she couldn't figure out what was different about mine other than the front end looked different. The MadStad bumper is all metal and easily adjustable.
Some folks also like upgrading the front sway bar with a heavier unit for better handling. IIRC, later model Slingshots may not have the sway bar locks to limit sideways sway bar movement.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
If your SLR already has upgraded coilovers, the need for better shocks is much less, but aftermarket coilovers can make a big difference in handling compared to stock coilovers. I have single-adjustable Bilstein coilovers and hope to be able to upgrade to two- or three-way adjustables when I have them rebuilt by Bilstein. Currently, the cheapest path to 2- or 3-way adjustables is via QA1s setup for the Slingshot. There are threads on picking springs and QA1 shocks to roll your own, but I think it's simpler to order them already setup. There are several threads on different brand coilovers available. (I was considering the used set of QA1s that @wjfyfe just bragged about!) 😢
Sorry about that BKL, Maybe I should have been a lil more patient so you could have got the triple QA1's and then I could have picked up your Bilsteins?

Bill

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Sorry about that BKL, Maybe I should have been a lil more patient so you could have got the triple QA1's and then I could have picked up your Bilsteins?

Bill
Hey, you decided to go for them and I was just thinking too much.
I like my Bilsteins and have been happy with them. I went with the Bilsteins instead of QA1s simply because there was a Group Buy, saving me some money. One of the reasons I delayed with the used QA1s was I had read where someone had Bilstein rebuild and upgrade their Bilsteins and the rebuild + upgrade reportedly wasn't much more expensive than just rebuilding the single-adjustable Bilsteins. You beat me to 'em fair and square! 😢 😁

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Welcome to the 'World of Slingshot Insanity'....Lots of good people, info and just a little BS in the mix. In Northern Indiana I'll ride my Slingshot if there is NO snow on the road. Put on a warmer jacket, get a 12v electric seat pad and go for a ride.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome to the Team!

Here are a few of my favorite and most useful mods:
  • Digital Guard Dog
  • Slinglines Ride Command Shade with cup holders
  • F4 + 2 Lightly Tinted Windshiled with DDM Works Brace
  • Weighted Carbon Fiber Shift Knob
  • DDM Works Short Shifter
  • DDM Works Master Cylinder brace
  • Polaris OEM Slingshot stitched comfort seats
  • Upgraded Yellow Top Battery
  • Assault Ballistic D Steering Wheel
  • Convex Rearview Mirror
  • Mechanical Brake Switch
  • DDM Works 3-Way Coilovers
  • Full LED Headlights and outer lights
  • Spoiler Blades LED Lower DRL/Switchbacks
  • 3rd Brake Light Flasher

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think you did well for what you got.
My list is fairly short (so far) and mostly convenience mods:
1. full LED kit
2. Jump ports behind the seat (for charging and jumping when/if the need arises)
3. RAM mount
4. FZ-1 Accessory Fuse Block - I like this one because it can go power full time, or when the ignition is on
5. Short windshield - don't do this, EVER

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I ordered my 2015 Slingshot Base model in August, 2014, but Texas didn't allow sales until May, 2015. My dealer got 1 Red SL and 1 Metallic Titanium Base model and planned on using the base model as a demo, but then learned they wouldn't get anymore Slingshots until they sold the 2 they had, so my Slingshto ended up with 150 miles on it before I picked it up. The dealr compensated by giving me a free Blade windshield which I used for the next 6 months or so before upgrading to a MadStad Single Adjustable 13" Windshield. I quickly got used to the taller windshield and after a couple years tried the Blade windshield again and couldn't stand the wind buffeting I had experienced with the Blade windshield. I now have an even taller NASCAR style Tallboy Plus 2 windshield and really appreciate the lack of buffeting. Even with the Plus 2 sizing, if I need to, I can still see over the top of the windshield by lifting my head a little, but usually look thru it. The taller the windshield, the less buffeting you're likely to experience. The NASCAR style windshield from AllThingsSlingshot is designed for the lines of the Slingshade and works well with my Twist Dynamics Top, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couldn't tell from the pics, but if you don't already have an AFR/Boost gauge, having both or a combo gauge is essential for monitoring your AFR vs Boost levels, especially with a turbo.
BKL this is my very next purchase. I am about to buy the AEM failsafe. Owner before me didnt put a guage in as he said he was advised the stage 1 is safe/fine to run without one but I would definitely feel better having the guage as I want to monitor. Do you suggest the 1320v2 headers or any other modifications to engine components from a safety standpoint for the engine? As of now all stock other than the stage 1 DDM TC.

Brock

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your suggestions and for welcoming me to the forum! It sounds like alot of members are happy with the DDM short shifter so I think that will be something I will get in the near future as well as some of the other convenience items mentioned above! Excited to start making it my own.

Brock

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Thank you all for your suggestions and for welcoming me to the forum! It sounds like alot of members are happy with the DDM short shifter so I think that will be something I will get in the near future as well as some of the other convenience items mentioned above! Excited to start making it my own.

Brock
When you want to get someone's attention need to use @ @Bmueller102 for you and @BKL

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Saw the message from @EjFord. @Bmueller102, the DDM Short Shifter is a great improvement. It does change the shift geometry enough that a little more force is required to shift, but a nicely weighted shift knob smooths things out. I don't think I could stand to go back to the stock, longer throw shift setup.
The AEM gauge is probably the most common AFR/Boost gauge seen on Slingshots and should provide some comfort by allowing you to monitor AFR & Boost. Superchargers are consistent enough that some owners do skip using an AFR/Boost gauge, but turbos are much less predictable, making it a good idea to keep an eye on the AFR vs Boost numbers.
As far as the 1320 exhaust manifold, my Hahn Stage 2 kit came with Hahn's custom exhaust manifold, so I don't any experience on how it performs. With a Stage 1 kit, it may not make that much difference. You might want to ask DDM Works about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts