Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Overview (What it does): The master cylinder for your SS is poorly braced from the factory. Result? When you hit the brakes, it results in a mushy feel (even after you have bled all of the air from your brake system). This brace locks the master cylinder in place, giving you a much firmer, solid feel when you hit the brakes - bottom line? It works & it works well! Note that Apha Powersports also makes a brace & it is also their usual top shelf quality. With the Alpha, you will have to drill a hole due to a difference in design (not a big deal) but is cheaper at $130 vs. $139 for the Full Blown Motorsports model shown below.

What the product looks like:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Things you'll need to install (in order of importance):
image.jpeg

(Install time is approximately 1/2 of the above - disclaimer: your results may vary)
image.jpeg

19mm, 13mm & 10mm. T-40 torx (the bolt shown with tools will be removed permanently- see next pic...)

Remove this T-40 torx (congrats! You now own a spare!)
image.jpeg

(You can see the white brake fluid reservoir of the master cylinder at top of pic above my finger).

Top view, pre-installation...
image.jpeg

Remove 10mm & 13mm hardware from brace. Slide down into place. Install 13mm & 10mm hardware (the 10mm set goes through the hole where you removed the T-40 torx. It will look like this...
image.jpeg

Back the 19mm locking nut way back towards the bolt head. Tighten the bolt until it's snug (do NOT overtighten & ruin your master cylinder!!!). Snug down the locking nut against the brace. When done, it should look like this:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Now take a test ride & be impressed by how well your brakes feel.

Return to home base & celebrate with...
image.jpeg

·
Slingshot SL "KEEP OFF"
756 Posts
Well Done............................:)

smiley-face-thumbs-up-clipart-xTgnj6GTA.png

Reactions: Tripod

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Begging everybody's pardon for we obviously are having problems with our eyes, for we just cannot see $140 in those pictures? :confused:

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Begging everybody's pardon for we obviously are having problems with our eyes, for we just cannot see $140 in those pictures? :confused:

Bill and Justina
It's a quality billet product, custom-machined for our Slingshots. If a kid runs out in front of me & the few feet of stopping distance I gain saves that kid's life - is it worth $140 then?! Aren't you the ones who whine about people being negative?! If you're too cheap to spend $140 for better brakes, then don't! Nobody's twisting your arm here. This was intended to be an informative (& hopefully entertaining) DIY thread for installing this excellent product.
image.jpeg

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
GREAT write-up Tripod! Is it okay to substitute Dos Equis Amber? I don't want to screw up install.;)

·
W.H.O.R.E. (We Haul Our Ride Everywhere)
1,601 Posts

Bill and Justina
Bill and Justina, Anodized billet aluminum brake modification parts are a lot like well designed helmets. They are expensive but they are worth it for the added safety value they provide.
Lucky for you the "Brake Mod" is optional, lucky for me the helmet is optional. I can live or die with myself if my choice was wrong, can you live with yourself if, God forbid, you run over someone because you chose not to fix a brake design flaw ? Or is it just your own safety you are worried about ?
I would not have posted this had you not ridiculed people for choosing not to wear a helmet in choice states !
Good luck with YOUR CHOICE !

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Bill and Justina
You will spend that money for something that looks good. How about spending for something that just might save your life or someone else's.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Bill and Justina, Anodized billet aluminum brake modification parts are a lot like well designed helmets. They are expensive but they are worth it for the added safety value they provide.
We are not questioning the safety aspect here, though our SlingShot engages the anti-lock system already without any modification, (and how do you stop any quicker than that?) Maybe quite not as aesthetically pleasing to some, I can visualize in my head going to the hardware store and for $10-$15, manufacturing a product of equal functionality? We are not being negative, just practical, but maybe that isn't suppose to be a trait of a SlingShot owner?

Bill

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We are not questioning the safety aspect here, though our SlingShot engages the anti-lock system already without any modification, (and how do you stop any quicker than that?) Maybe quite not as aesthetically pleasing to some, I can visualize in my head going to the hardware store and for $10-$15, manufacturing a product of equal functionality? We are not being negative, just practical, but maybe that isn't suppose to be a trait of a SlingShot owner?

Bill
Cool! I can visualize LOTS of things in my head (trust me, you don't want to know! :D).

I think that's an excellent idea Bill! Please buy & or fab what you need to make your own brace & then post the results on the forum. People with less disposable income would definitely appreciate it!

(And based on where it is, I don't think aesthetics are all that important)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts

Bill
There is absolutely nothing practical about a Slingshot.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Cool! I can visualize LOTS of things in my head (trust me, you don't want to know! :D).

I think that's an excellent idea Bill! Please buy & or fab what you need to make your own brace & then post the results on the forum. People with less disposable income would definitely appreciate it!

(And based on where it is, I don't think aesthetics are all that important)
Thanks Tripod, but like I said, our brakes seem to do the job quite adequately without any modification, so we won't be doing any. Taking the advice of of some here, I did bleed the brakes just to be safe, but found no air in the system, and the brakes still are working equally as well. Justina and I must have purchased a real exceptional machine not experiencing nearly the woes all of you other folks are having? Though, looking at it from another perspective, maybe we are the ones really being cheated for all we are having to do with our SlingShot is just drive it? :confused:

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just installed mine last night, it is quite a nice piece. If you have never driven anything with a quality braking system you might not even know what your missing, just because you can step on them hard enough to engage the antilocks doesn't mean a whole lot, with better brake feel you may never of had to go there. And f I have to go to home depo to make my own I've already wasted $140 of my time and would never have anywhere near the quality of this part. Jmo

1 - 20 of 153 Posts