Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Factory Radio Poor Reception Fix ( antenna / plug / weak / fuzzy / FM AM )

167K views 615 replies 194 participants last post by  Robocop1 
#1 ·
For those who have been in an SL, how was the backup camera and radio?

#37 ·
because its just a null dumb display. the guts are in the box behind the display. When the display is out look back in the hole. You will see the brains back there.

#41 ·
Our local channels are boring and ad filled. Plus reception always sucks unless you have a big antenna. Go Bluetooth from your phone or USB. I'm a Sirius/XM fan and have been thinking about adding it to the SS.
I added a portable sirus in the glovebox, put the antenna under the hood. perfect reception and sounds great also since mounted in the box. still waterproof

#42 ·
My radio reception is good, no problems. I paired my iPhone 6 to the infotainment system and use pandora too. Also paired my helmet headsets to the infotainment system. Instead of listening to music in my headset using Bluetooth, I play it through the speakers with my headsets in talk mode. That way with the music from the speakers playing and the microphone on headset picking it up and playing it back through my headset it sounds great! Hope I have explained that in a way that everyone understands what I am talking about.

#43 ·
When I installed my side LED (Reflector) lights, I took the back upper coweling off. It's not a big deal. Low and Behold - I found the Stubby Radio Antenna. I too think the radio reception is weak. Coating a tiny antenna in a plastic fin is not optimal. I picked up a pawn shop iPod Touch, loaded 40 full Classic Rock CD's on it and hit "Shuffle". The iPod plugs into the USB port and keeps the iPod charged. Not perfect, but better than commercial radio.
I just ripped my collection of CDs to a 16 gig USB stick works great with the radio. No need to buy an iPod unless you need mobility.

#44 ·
When I was doing some installs this weekend I noticed the antenna connection was sitting right in the center firewall hole next to the coolant overflow and easily accessible from the engine bay....the connection was not fully seated ...... pushed it all the way home and my reception improved.

#45 ·
Has anyone else had issues with the radio being fuzzy or static while listening to FM or AM channels? I believe its the antenna that is the issue. I went to the dealership and they are checking with the Polaris rep also about it.

I can use the Bluetooth and its clear sound, but the AM/FM is very poor reception any thoughts?

Thanks guys.

#52 ·
Well it is not the same on every slingshot since the dealership took me on a ride on their demo unit and their radio was fine and clear. I can only get a couple local stations and they are even very poor and a lot of fuzz/static. I hooked mine up to my phone with Bluetooth and was not any issues and could hear it fine so it must be the antenna.

#54 ·
When my AM/FM radio is on in "power" mode I pull in FM stations for 50+ miles very clear...the minute I put the key in the 'on' mode
I loose stations and the close one are fuzzy. I just got my Slingshot
late Feb so haven't yet had it in for First service which is scheduled
for 23 Mar 2015, when I set the service I did mention this problem.

I don't have any secondary things plugged into the system.

#55 ·
Had lines on my screen and lousy radio reception. Dealer ordered a new one, replaced it in a flash and still had lines. So asked him to see if one of their newly delivered units had lines in the screen - NOPE. So he took that one and put it in my bike - took all of 5 minutes - plus 45 minutes to get the paperwork straightened out. Radio - still fuzzy :(

#60 ·
I'm a FM radio listener --- When I tune in a station with the key in 'power' it comes in very strong pulling in Stations 50+ miles from home. The minute I turn the Key to the 'On" -- to run mode -- the station fails very quickly and driving down the street just doesn't work.

Any ideas on how to correct the problem.

Going in for the first oil change next week and would help if someone else
had and idea.

Thanks and Ride Safe

#66 ·
There are two positions as you turn the key --- the first powers the complete bike ready to start --- the second you push in the key and turn it just a little further....in this position you have power to the electronics but the bike will NOT start and run. Radio very good in this position, and poor on the first 'start & run position.

In the second position you can also make some changes like, clock, etc that can't be made in the run position...just beginning to learn.

Was a math teach and never learned to read---so can't read the instructions.

Ride Safe,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.