Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

561 - 580 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I plugged the antenna directly in the back of the radio and mounted it outside on the front roof pillar, right side. I recommend getting it out in the air and not behind plastic but some have done so with success.
A couple photos please would really be nice........... ??

·
Registered
989 Posts
Here you go, this is the only one I have right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Technically this is a stubby or often referred to as a rubber ducky. A whip is much longer so it is a matter of what looks best. I am very happy with my reception now, I live in as small town that is cut off by mountains and large hills so most of my channels are from Canada but once I get on the freeway and head south I get more than I can count now.

Reactions: ENCORE

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Saw something in West Marine, a windscreen antenna. A long stick-on antenna that goes on the windscreen. Got it, haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It's also zero ground plane, hoping it might work. 24" strip antenna.
SHAKESPEARE AM/FM Antenna with Cable | West Marine
I'm sure something similar is available at a lower cost at other places and I paid too much but it was there and looked plausible.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Saw something in West Marine, a windscreen antenna. A long stick-on antenna that goes on the windscreen. Got it, haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It's also zero ground plane, hoping it might work. 24" strip antenna.
I'm sure something similar is available at a lower cost at other places and I paid too much but it was there and looked plausible.
Similar Am/FM Window antennas are available from several sources - am/fm window antenna - Google Search. I've been thinking about trying one, but haven't yet made the leap. Let us know how well it works.
I have also read about folks in the Corvette community using aluminum tape in a fan pattern underneath the body panels where a normal AM/Fm antenna is mounted. This is supposed to function like a ground plane for the antenna and improve antenna performance/reception.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well, sorry to say this didn't work as I had hoped. In fact, it got fewer stations than the stock antenna.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Well, sorry to say this didn't work as I had hoped. In fact, it got fewer stations than the stock antenna.
Sorry to hear that didn't meet your needs.
Tune Trapper antennas are reportedly designed to operate in a wide variety of situations such as fiberglass-bodied cars, ATVs, golf carts, etc, where conventional antennas may not perform well. Here are several links from Amazon for similar antennas -
Amazon.com: Tune Trapper Hidden AM FM Motorcycle Trike Antenna: Car Electronics (rated 4 stars, the others below are rated 3 stars)
Amazon.com: Tune Trapper Hidden Car AM FM Stereo Radio Antenna With End Cable: Car Electronics
Amazon.com: Kuryakyn 853 Tune Trapper Hidden Antenna: Automotive
Amazon.com: Jensen Marine AN150SR AM/FM Amplified Antenna: Automotive
Here is a link to the Tune trapper website - Tune Trapper Brand Hidden AM FM Stereo Radio Antennas
I haven't tried any of these antennas, but I have come across several articles about them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I had bad reception with the stock radio..did the camera recall..no change.moved the anntena with a booster..no change..got a nice system from slingtunes....still no reception..works awesome in acc mode...switch the key back to run..static..hooked the radio directly to the battery..still same issue..started pulling fuses an relays...all the issues go away when I pull the...pri light fuse..does anyone know what all is on that circuit?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Let me know what you find out. My 2016 SL is in for this exact issue right now. Already had the camera replaced. Already tried different antennas. Dealer replaced stock antenna already (after finding a broken fitting), but still no improvement. It's actually in today for having the black box stereo replaced because I also had problems with both USB and Bluetooth too so I'm just waiting to see if it's still a problem. When I get it back tomorrow, I'll ask them about the PRI Light circuit too and see what they know.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I was playing around with the radio I installed in my 2015 Base Slingshot a short while back. I had the antenna laying in the parking brake handle recess until I decide where to permanently mount and/or buy an amplified antenna of some type. I had originally thought of mounting the antenna to the dash near the windshield support post with it angled back to parallel the windshield angle. While playing with it, I tried raising the antenna and as soon as I held it above the front edge of my Twist Dynamics Top, reception improved remarkably. Based on that experience, I plan on finding an antenna with a long enough lead to route the wire up the side of the Top's frame and mount it to the Top.
I currently have a short rubber antenna and have read that some brands of these short antennas may or may not actually have any type of conductor inside the rubber to help receive signals and may just be relying on the cable connecting the "antenna" to the radio to act as the actual antenna. That's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards an amplified antenna for better reception. Nothing beats having the antenna in the highest location possible, though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree. Sort of did the same thing with a different antenna - as soon as I struck a "Statue of Liberty" pose, it worked GREAT. But that's not very conducive to driving. I thought of getting one of those dune buggy flag whip antennas - but again, not very "stylish". I even ran 2 antennas (stock and aftermarket), but no improvement until you get it way up high. I even tried to ground it to other metal items - no go.

I get it back tomorrow and I'll see if the black box replacement helps any. Given that it also had USB/Bluetooth problems, maybe there is something there that is also blocking FM signal.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
If I didn't have the Top, I'd probably mount my antenna to the side of the fin as high up as possible. Just means you need a cable long enough to make it back to the radio.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought those resistor things that were mentioned earlier in this thread. It's stupid easy to install.... like seriously.... wow
But I haven't installed it yet on the fact that I'm lazy.

Hopefully tomorrow when the wife makes me go cut the lawn, I will install it and see if those made a difference with interference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad I found this thread.. bought a 2016.5 SS SL LE exactly 2 weeks ago & the radio barely comes in when I'm sitting still & as soon as I start moving, static, cutting in & out & then it's gone & that's the only station it was picking up when in my car I can pick up at least a 1/2 dozen or so.

·
Registered
377 Posts
So, I gave up on Polaris and replaced the stereo with a Pioneer MVH-300EX this past weekend. IMMEDIATE improvement. I got 18 stations sitting in my garage right away compared to just 2 before. I do still note a little bit of static, but it's a 99% improvement over the previous reception. This tells me that it is as much the stereo as the antenna so perhaps if you're stereo is working good then the minor changes like the FM Signal Amplifier and/or the Ferrite Bead (Toroid) fixes might improve it just enough more.

BTW, still have the case open w/Polaris. I and the dealer are now telling Polaris to pay for the aftermarket stereo (only $300 so far). I did the install myself and everything works except the rear camera. I'm still working on that if anyone has any ideas.

561 - 580 of 614 Posts