Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

541 - 560 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Did you replace your old back up camera with another 2016 model camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I assume so. It was done before I bought it and that was in April 2016. Is Polaris allowing a newer camera replacement under warranty?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Asked in a couple threads, never a reply, where is the factory antenna mounted ?

Under the rear panel facing the rear. I posted pictures of my fix for this radio problem, Check it out. Made a big difference in reception. Didn't completely solve the problem. I had the rear backup camera replaced ( a recall). Got even better reception.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry guys but I haven' read all its tread.
I suspect that as it now runs to 42 pages, we all have problems.

Well... I must say that the boss at Polaris UK is a big big let down!

He knew I had troule with the $2k stick radio. All he would say was return it to the dealer almost 200 mikes away.

Eventuall I solved the problem myself (well some friends did)

It kept resetting to the US speck... and I live in Europe!!!! Then to put it bluntly"Pilaris UK didn't give a toss." (I hope that translates without offending anyone).

Oh well no wonder the only have not more than 11 on our roads over in the UK. Someone needs talking too, with a big boot!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Okay, y'all! I just read ALL 46 PAGES of this thread. I see a common occurrence here:
  • Sometimes it's the camera.
  • Sometimes it's the stock antenna mast.
  • Sometimes it's the LED lighting.
Fixes have been:
  • Replace the camera
  • Remount the antenna mast
  • Use a different antenna.
  • Use a ferrite core (choke)
What's all common to this is that there is some EMI interference being generated by the electronics in the SlingShot causing radio interference. Polaris seems to know this, hence the change in wiring for the 2017.

So I've got a 2016 SL that I bought used (my second SS - 1st was totaled, not my fault, long story elsewhere). Dealer checked and said my camera had already been replaced. However, I tested it in my garage. Had ignition On (keyless entry so no accessory mode anymore) but engine not running. Radio On = Static. Unplug camera = NO STATIC. Plug back in camera = Static.Unplug camera = NO STATIC. Plugbackincamera=Static.Unplugcamera=NOSTATIC. Plugbackincamera=Static. (Oh, you get the idea.) So I discuss with the dealer and they get Polaris to cover a new replacement camera again, confirming they were ordering the "upgraded" camera. I leave the camera unplugged. Reception is better, but not any where acceptable.

About a week later, camera arrives from Polaris. Before I let them put in the new camera, I have them come out to prove that I had static. Radio On = No Static. Unplug camera = NO STATIC. Plug back in camera = No Static.Unplug camera = NO STATIC. Plug back in camera = No Static. Ahhh!(*&%#@[email protected]#@% Anyways, dealer takes it back to replace the camera anyways while I start walking around the parts area (hey, do I need a new helmet? Gloves? Ooohh LUGGAGE!) Done in 15 mins before I can waste too much money. Stereo's sounding okay.

Drive out - literally wasn't even out of the parking lot and the static starts coming back - NOT FIXED!

I've unplugged/replugged the antenna connection in the engine compartment. Thinking about those ferrite beads and/or replacing antenna. Gonna try the stock antenna adjustment but don't want it sticking through a hole in the panel so gonna see if I can re-locate and/or adjust. (How do you get the rear panel off? - Yeah, yeah, I know - google/youtube it.)

How can Polaris (or any company) say this is not a problem? I used to work for Yamaha Motors Corp (yes, motorcycles/ATVs) and Kubota Tractor and we would never have let a problem like this exist.

·
Registered
519 Posts
We have a 2016 and have never been able to use the radio due to poor reception. We have strictly used the USB port. When I questioned my dealer about it he said "Yeah, they all pretty much do that"... Question Polaris and I got the "yours is the only one doing that".. Dealer "checked" it and returned it the same way it was. All I got was a day of non-use and wasted time. Fast forward 2 years we are still using the USB and radio is just a poorly lit, low resolution back up camera monitor.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah, I've got the bluetooth set up and it works great - can control from either my phone or the stereo. But since I only live 2.4 miles from home to work, sometimes it takes longer to get it out and set up than I have to drive so I don't bother. Just wish the FM would come in clearer.

·
Registered
989 Posts
After installing my rubber ducky antenna I have great am and fm reception with no static at all. Good range as well. I tried several different amplified antennas before this but nothing worked. Then I installed an old marine grade rubber ducky style antenna that requires no ground plane and voila!

·
Registered
519 Posts
After installing my rubber ducky antenna I have great am and fm reception with no static at all. Good range as well. I tried several different amplified antennas before this but nothing worked. Then I installed an old marine grade rubber ducky style antenna that requires no ground plane and voila!
Probably asked before but can you provide a link to purchase this style antenna.. Since our Infotainment Center radio is basically a boat anchor the way it performs now, maybe a marine antenna is exactly what it needs. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Is this possibly a city vs rural issue? We live in the midst of mountains and radio reception is always iffy, where our 2015 SlingShot, (after seating the antenna connection at the back of the engine compartment / front of the fire wall), isn't much worse then our other vehicles?

Bill

·
Registered
519 Posts
Is this possibly a city vs rural issue? We live in the midst of mountains and radio reception is always iffy, where our 2015 SlingShot, (after seating he antenna connection at the back of the engine compartment), isn't much worse then our other vehicles?

Bill
I have actually parked across the street from an FM broadcasting station and the reception was bad. Delaware wouldn't know a mountain if it fell on it. The highest thing in Delaware are the chicken houses.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I really don't know where I bought it but you can go to amazon and type in marine antenna and several will come up. Look for zero ground plane. I installed mine on a custom bracket I made for my roof support on the right hand side but you can mount one most anywhere on the body as well. I could not believe the difference it made, sitting in my garage I got dozens of FM and about 10 am stations clear as could be.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I really don't know where I bought it but you can go to amazon and type in marine antenna and several will come up. Look for zero ground plane. I installed mine on a custom bracket I made for my roof support on the right hand side but you can mount one most anywhere on the body as well. I could not believe the difference it made, sitting in my garage I got dozens of FM and about 10 am stations clear as could be.
Thanks..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Where did you install the rubber ducky antenna? under the back panel, can you post a picture of it please. I'm going to purchase on is shy im asking. I want to get the right one. Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Where did you plug the antenna in? IN front of the firewall or under the back panel?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I plugged the antenna directly in the back of the radio and mounted it outside on the front roof pillar, right side. I recommend getting it out in the air and not behind plastic but some have done so with success.

541 - 560 of 595 Posts