Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Mike Mtl: What have you tried on 3 vehicles?
Cameron: How much work was intailed in getting the panels off to get to the underfin area? I am hoping that the connection is bad and it will be an easy fix...
Tried The radio on three slingshots, One slingshot was a clear sound, The other two sounded as if The antenna was not plugged.
Did not open the back panel yet

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not sure if the problem could be antenna ground on fiberglass vehicles like a motorhome the antenna is mounted on fiberglass whereas on metal roofs the plane ground of the metal surface provides for a stronger reception for the radio. To test this if you grab the antenna and if the volume gets louder; then the antenna needs a better ground.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My radio drifts off station too
It is as if thereis no antenna at all
Polaris will have to come up with a fix for this
In the meantime I just run my IPhone through the USB
It sounds pretty good that way

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I installed my side LED (Reflector) lights, I took the back upper coweling off. It's not a big deal. Low and Behold - I found the Stubby Radio Antenna. I too think the radio reception is weak. Coating a tiny antenna in a plastic fin is not optimal. I picked up a pawn shop iPod Touch, loaded 40 full Classic Rock CD's on it and hit "Shuffle". The iPod plugs into the USB port and keeps the iPod charged. Not perfect, but better than commercial radio.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Mine sucks too I gave up on FM the 2nd week and it has a short in the jump drive and every bump in the road it kicks off and on .

·
Registered
386 Posts
Our local channels are boring and ad filled. Plus reception always sucks unless you have a big antenna. Go Bluetooth from your phone or USB. I'm a Sirius/XM fan and have been thinking about adding it to the SS.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh sure you could mount it any way you like. You just run screw in cables. You could mount an external antenna anywhere. I would suggest just using your pandora linked in to the stereo system. Radio is awful anyway.
how do you link Pandora so that it will play anywhere?

·
Registered
93 Posts
When my recall was done I had them check out the connection and they say it was corroded???? 500 mile corrosion I guess. They said they cleaned it up and it should be good now, but I will not know until it is warm enough to drive. I have not resorted to putting the TV in front of the SS yet, but I have thought about it... LOL. Sometimes I do sit in it and wish it were warmer, and the radio does work while parked in the garage! Supposed to be -5 degrees tomorrow morning here when I am driving to work...

If the radio still doesn't work well, would an in-line amplifier make it better?

·
Registered
432 Posts
never did like that overpriced pos radio. I put a panasonic 4000nex in. volume is better backup camera is now a rear view camera with a 7" display and ability to remove the face plate. and the radio works dynomite. so does the stock unit in the drawer so when I sell this i'll put it back in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I called Polaris awhile back about the integration kit and was told they will make it an get it out in a couple months. I found something that works very well with my Garmin 650 with XM radio. I found it in a Family Dollar for $6 called Music Gear wireless FM transmitter. I have my helmet headset and my cell phone (a non I Phone) blue tooth to the GPS. I plugged in the Music Gear wireless FM transmitter which plugs into the lighter power supply an the female jack out of the GPS. Works great to the Slingshot radio an I can switch from my helmet to radio an back with no problem. Now I can listen to my XM through the radio. It was the best $6 bucks I spent in a long time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had to remove the info center to make a number of electrical mods. I had the info center out, unplugged, laying on the seat. Well, I turned on the ignition for something and the radio came on and played perfectly.......How in the heck can that be??

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
because its just a null dumb display. the guts are in the box behind the display. When the display is out look back in the hole. You will see the brains back there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There is a youtube on taking the panels off look up Service Mod 4 Body Panels. My radio does not work either

21 - 40 of 595 Posts