Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2015 SS and the dealer pushed in an extended warranty for 1800, told me it was way better than the factory extended warranty. now that it has been a few weeks, I stopped in at a different dealer, and was told I can purchase the factory extended warranty for $1300. So my question is, should I cancel and switch? has anyone had any issues with polaris not honoring things with the extended warranty? or are they pretty good at taking care of you?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Welcome to the forum and Slingshot ownership @toss . I have not had experience with dealer sponsored warranties. I would assume you are better covered by the manufacturer's warranty. I have heard that the dealer versions come with a lot of loop holes. Might want to read all of the fine print and compare. IMO It's definitely worth saving $500.00 to switch if the coverage is the same.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
a rip-off in my opinion. My dealer offered me one for $900 but he said extended warranty only cover items which usually do not break. He says he's never bought an extended warranty on anything in his lifetime today date. I've put this comment on all extended warranty threads. there's plenty existing threads that you can research but 1800 even 1300 seems like a real rip up to me.

·
Registered
827 Posts
There is a SS dealer on this site that will discount the official Polaris extended warranty if you are looking to purchase. It will beat both of the prices you have listed. A simple search will yield who that is.

I wont get into the debate as to buy or not buy. That is an individual opinion and one to be considered for the less heavily modded slingshots out there.

Reactions: toss

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
If you're in doubt about your original purchase, better act quickly as you often have a limited amount of time to change your mind and get a refund.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for the info, I went back and cancelled the warranty with my original purchase, and bought the polaris warranty from a dealership. They started off saying it was $1300 for the 5 year warranty, and I mentioned that others have offered a 25% DISCOUNT, so he said he would sell it to me for $1000.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
thank you for the info, I went back and cancelled the warranty with my original purchase, and bought the polaris warranty from a dealership. They started off saying it was $1300 for the 5 year warranty, and I mentioned that others have offered a 25% DISCOUNT, so he said he would sell it to me for $1000.
That's because extended warranties are the highest profit "add on" there is. Lets say we have 100 SS owners who pay $1000 for an extended warranty. That's $100K.

Out of those 100 SS's, the warranty company might pay out $1000 on maybe two. Hell, lets say five. That's a nice tidy profit of $95K for 10 minutes spent filling out paperwork. And lets not forget most extended warranties I have seen have a per claim deductible of at least $50 making them an even bigger ripoff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very very true, and I normally don't buy them on vehicles I drive, but I do for the ones my wife drives. And the one for her car was $3k, and easily paid for its self withing a view visits. So on the SS, I bought mine used so I have no idea how it was driven or taken care of for the first 2 years, and it is a new production vehicle, I am glad I got it, I also like that it is unlimited milage, so it has made my SS my daily driver :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts