Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Your post highlights the issue regarding Polaris dealers doing the work on the Slings.
Dealers inflate time costs. When I called three dealers to fix my clock spring, their 1.5 - 3 hour labor time and the part cost was $300+. I did it in less than an hour and for about $50 in parts. Also I avoided the 4 hour round trip and sitting in the waiting room for 2+ hours.
Today, I brought my Subaru in to replace Tanaka airbag, Subaru said it will take 45 minutes, Dealer said 3 hours, I was notified it was done in 1.5 hours.

When making my decision to not buy the EW, the distance (100 miles) and the time Polaris engineers take reviewing and analyzing information to try to avoid approving the claim, along with my mods that they could cite for a reason to deny were compelling reasons for me to not buy the warranty. If my harness blows, I would order the part and install it myself. I estimate waiting for the part to arrive and doing the install should take about a week. I have the time and actually don't mind working on the Sling so for me it's not as big a deal as someone who doesn't have the time nor enjoys working on the Sling. I will now check my harness for any potential problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My decision was purely based on usage. I stopped buying extended warranties on toys because they sit far more than they are in motion. Maybe if I was retired and had the opportunity to put more hours and miles on them a time based EW would make sense. I have three seasons and 5K miles on mine. At this rate it will take a decade or two to get beyond 50K miles on mine and I don't keep many of my toys for very long.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm still torn about getting extended coverage. As a rule, I never buy them. However, if anything is going to fail on the Slingshot it will be the angle drive, and that I'm sure is very pricey to replace outright. So it's a toss between paying now for peace of mind that it's covered, or hoping it doesn't fail. Probably a wash in terms of $$.

And then there's the whole "non-authorized upgrade" stuff, and Polaris not covering anyway.

Hoping whatever is going to fail will fail before the warranty is up in March of 2019.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Agree that the angle drive is a possible weak link even after the recall's. My faith in that department is not in the hands of Polaris but the aftermarket. If angle drives drop like flies you can bet there will be better options out there (there already is at least one good option to replace it completely). Might cost a few dollars more than the EW but as others have already stated. Fixing a known problem part under warranty with another known problem part gets you nowhere fast - other than to the end of your EW.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
I'll throw this out there since we're covering the same ground:

2015 SL: Extended Service Agreement paid for itself twice over already due to loads of manufacturer problems. Driven lightly and almost nothing is changed from stock without the dealer okaying it first.

2014 Base: Needed only the recall fixes for the most part, no extended warranty, tubocharged and run hard, tons of aftermarket parts and changes, no problems.

In my case having an Extended Service Agreement paid off on one, not having an Extended Service Agreement paid off on the other. Luck of the draw.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'll throw this out there since we're covering the same ground:

2015 SL: Extended Service Agreement paid for itself twice over already due to loads of manufacturer problems. Driven lightly and almost nothing is changed from stock without the dealer okaying it first.

2014 Base: Needed only the recall fixes for the most part, no extended warranty, tubocharged and run hard, tons of aftermarket parts and changes, no problems.

In my case having an Extended Service Agreement paid off on one, not having an Extended Service Agreement paid off on the other. Luck of the draw.
How did you get a 2014 Base model? The first model year for the SS was 2015. My experience with my 15' Base has been the same. Only repairs needed have all been covered by recalls. The only warranty work I have had done is to re-stick the plastic console panels back into place.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
How did you get a 2014 Base model? The first model year for the SS was 2015. My experience with my 15' Base has been the same. Only repairs needed have all been covered by recalls. The only warranty work I have had done is to re-stick the plastic console panels back into place.
Early adopter. It's a 2015 model built in 2014, with the 2014 defective rack & other 2014 recalls, so I call it a 2014 since that's really what it is. 2015's came fixed from the factory. Call it what you like...

81 - 88 of 88 Posts