Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I do smell odor after cat delete, usually when stopped. I would seal the cockpit holes first. It's not any worse than riding a motorcycle and smelling everyone elses fumes. There are certainly tradeoffs for performance gains in most applications.

·
Vendor
542 Posts
This is kind of the deal when you remove the cat. There's nothing there to "clean" the exhaust.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
I cant verify it, but Ive heard that some exhausts that run to back are still having the same issue. I have the Madstad and it definatley helped, only have a slight when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I do smell odor after cat delete, usually when stopped. I would seal the cockpit holes first. It's not any worse than riding a motorcycle and smelling everyone elses fumes. There are certainly tradeoffs for performance gains in most applications.
Ditto on the fumes with the slingshotmod system by
@codeman ; of course the seller @Mike Mtl promised everyone in writing that this would not be a problem. Oh well, he has our money ($700 large!!), and we have exhaust in our face. As they say "a fool and his money will soon be separated". I would have never bought this system if this had been a known fact. One piece of advice I received was to extend the tailpipe out to the tire on the drivers side and it would help the problem. This is untenable so I will go to a muffler shop and see what they can recommend.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Ditto on the fumes with the slingshotmod system by
@codeman ; of course the seller @Mike Mtl promised everyone in writing that this would not be a problem. Oh well, he has our money ($700 large!!), and we have exhaust in our face. As they say "a fool and his money will soon be separated". I would have never bought this system if this had been a known fact. One piece of advice I received was to extend the tailpipe out to the tire on the drivers side and it would help the problem. This is untenable so I will go to a muffler shop and see what they can recommend.
Did the codeman exhaust remove the cat? Perhaps putting the factory cat inline with the new system will help?

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
As mentioned in other threads, the Slingshot uses a high compression / rich mixture configuration to make power. The cat. causes back-pressure (and high heat) in the header that burns the unburnt fuel, and then cleans up what's left. If the cat. is removed the unburnt molecules perfume the environment. To change the mixture the ECU would have to be re-mapped to burn leaner, being careful to not overheat the valve seats.

It is the case more separation between the driver and exhaust tends to reduce the amount of exhaust the driver is exposed to; same with wind, unless it is blowing the exhaust right at the driver.

It's unfortunate people didn't suspect this to be the case before doing a "cat. delete," and given the plug-and-play buyers vs. the normal "tuner" crowd this is understandable. "Tuners" or "gear heads" have prior experience with this and understand the "EPA complete burn" as compared to the raw fuel/raw power configurations.

The vendors on this forum have been similar to (or are) reputable motorcycle dealers, where service and quality are top-end, products are made in the U.S.A. when possible, and billet is best. One pays more for their products, but they bring them to market first, stand behind what they sell, and are happy to answer questions up front. If they're more of the hard-core type they might not fully understand how important a complete lack of unburnt fuel is to a "cager" (one who drives a car, known as a "cage"), as straight-pipes and washing up in gas is part of their world--you should see what they eat.

It's a "kit car," in my book. Welcome to a new set of experiences.

·
Registered
448 Posts
As mentioned in other threads, the Slingshot uses a high compression / rich mixture configuration to make power. The cat. causes back-pressure (and high heat) in the header that burns the unburnt fuel, and then cleans up what's left. If the cat. is removed the unburnt molecules perfume the environment. To change the mixture the ECU would have to be re-mapped to burn leaner, being careful to not overheat the valve seats.

It is the case more separation between the driver and exhaust tends to reduce the amount of exhaust the driver is exposed to; same with wind, unless it is blowing the exhaust right at the driver.

It's unfortunate people didn't suspect this to be the case before doing a "cat. delete," and given the plug-and-play buyers vs. the normal "tuner" crowd this is understandable. "Tuners" or "gear heads" have prior experience with this and understand the "EPA complete burn" as compared to the raw fuel/raw power configurations.

The vendors on this forum have been similar to (or are) reputable motorcycle dealers, where service and quality are top-end, products are made in the U.S.A. when possible, and billet is best. One pays more for their products, but they bring them to market first, stand behind what they sell, and are happy to answer questions up front. If they're more of the hard-core type they might not fully understand how important a complete lack of unburnt fuel is to a "cager" (one who drives a car, known as a "cage"), as straight-pipes and washing up in gas is part of their world--you should see what they eat.

It's a "kit car," in my book. Welcome to a new set of experiences.
Great post, not being a mechanic I never thought about all of this. I do know enough to understand that your are definitely on to something here. What gets me is @Mike Mtl said in WRITING that exhaust fumes in the cabin are not a problem. Like I said, acting on blind faith will get you in trouble, BUT, we had so many positive comments early on that I thought it must be a great system! Thanks again for the post.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I'm still debating doing a "cat" job or not. 98% of my riding time is open highway and I would think I wouldn't get that much exhaust smell. What little I would get for town driving wouldn't bother me that much. Heck, I rode a m/c for many many years so smelling exhaust either from a vehicle or from me, would not be a new item on my agenda.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
@cyclecog: Thank you for the feedback.

Have you called or e-mailed Mike D.? He probably gave you his honest understanding.

I asked @Mike Mtl a quick LED headlight question via e-mail when researching how to upgrade the Slingshot headlight system, he said to call him. I couldn't get a call to him in Canada (my problem, not his), so he called me, recognized I was in need of more information than I realized, and spent a load of time explaining the SS headlight system, HID, LED, pros, cons, went way out of his way to give more information than I ever would have asked had I known what to ask. Mike explained which other parts I'd need (I sure didn't have a clue) and provided the part numbers and contact information of who sold them. Mike never tried to sell me anything, and kept me on the phone (on his dime) until he was sure I understood everything I'd need to know (and more) and could get the results I wanted and the job done right. Top-notch service from SlingshotMod all the way.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Have you ever wonder why all exhaust systems exit out the rear. Have you ever been behind a hopped up car/truck that was running rich. KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!! The only reason I want to change the exhaust system is to get rid of the heat from the stock system. If Rich (Rivco Products, Inc.) does what he was telling me about during bike week, he will have some type of rear exit exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I really don't understand the problem. The only time your own exhaust fumes can be a problem is if you are sitting still. The exhaust from the pickup pointed at your head three feet away is giving you more fumes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I can only speak for the parts we make and with a slingshot ModShop cat delete there was no real noticeable change in smell of unburned gas.
Now lets talk octane, the higher the octane the harder it is to burn so YES you may have more of a smell if you are filling this NA baby 4 banger with the highest of octane you can find. Maybe kick back to mid grade.

As for other systems on the market, i will just say this. If a company tells you the answer to an exhaust system it to make it exit in front of the driver on the drivers-side and you believe that you won't have odor from the exhaust increased after exiting this way.... They deserve to take your money because they just salesmaned the heck out of you.

·
2,333 Posts
I really don't understand the problem. The only time your own exhaust fumes can be a problem is if you are sitting still. The exhaust from the pickup pointed at your head three feet away is giving you more fumes.

Not to discount those who are sensitive to it but I find the "I smell exhaust when in traffic" posts kind a funny...... o_O

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Airflow around the SS is completely unpredictable. I once took off on a drive and forgot to release the parking brake on the rear wheel. I was going 70 MPH when I smelled the rear brake pads smoking.

I have the stock exhaust system but have never smelled it.

Go figure...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I did the CAT delete pipe and did notice some exhaust smell. I needed gas so I filled up with 87 octane and after a 1/4 tank the smell went away. Since this is a regular car engine I really don't think high octane is needed.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I did the CAT delete pipe and did notice some exhaust smell. I needed gas so I filled up with 87 octane and after a 1/4 tank the smell went away. Since this is a regular car engine I really don't think high octane is needed.
I have been running 89 octane since my 3rd fill up (got the ride in March) and runs fine. Haven't done the CAT thing yet but will be soon.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts