Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed some of the production SSs did not seem to have the cover plate over the exhaust manifold. All the pre production ones seemed to have a metal shield on top of the manifold.

I have seen a few pictures of the engine bay of the delivered units and some did not have the shield. The holes were still in the manifold on the production versions but no cover.

What have the new owners found on their's?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
The metal shield didn't make it to the production models.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Yep. exhaust manifold is a temp item.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I bought two of the GM manifold shields, they are at the powder-coaters. He is applying a heat coating (used on headers) one is shiny-silver, the other is a dull titanium color, will post pics when I get them back. I bought them at www.gmoutletparts.com, they had the best price. Part #12633413-shield-$14.93 (list$21.33). I am going this route due to budget-constraints at this time, later looking to go header-muffler-turbo?-paint-larger tires-trick-brakes, etc,etc,etc,etc,.
2014_07_Polaris-Slingshot-05.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
I bought two of the GM manifold shields, they are at the powder-coaters. He is applying a heat coating (used on headers) one is shiny-silver, the other is a dull titanium color, will post pics when I get them back. I bought them at www.gmoutletparts.com, they had the best price. Part #12633413-shield-$14.93 (list$21.33). I am going this route due to budget-constraints at this time, later looking to go header-muffler-turbo?-paint-larger tires-trick-brakes, etc,etc,etc,etc,. View attachment 5275

·
Registered
273 Posts
I also went the budget heat shield route, instead of ordering on line with shipping cost that double the price you pay .you can go to any local gm dealer instead and get it for about 20 bucks delivered .also instead of professional ceramic coating I went the diy ceramic coating with VHT ceramic coating in a spray can for less than ten bucks,you must bake it twice in your in your oven to complete the chemical process but the results are amazing. This is a cheap alternative until I own it for awhile and take the cat off and install headers.thanks for the part number it made it easy to order.This Is how I spend my time while I wait for my base.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I bought two of the GM manifold shields, they are at the powder-coaters. He is applying a heat coating (used on headers) one is shiny-silver, the other is a dull titanium color, will post pics when I get them back. I bought them at www.gmoutletparts.com, they had the best price. Part #12633413-shield-$14.93 (list$21.33). I am going this route due to budget-constraints at this time, later looking to go header-muffler-turbo?-paint-larger tires-trick-brakes, etc,etc,etc,etc,. View attachment 5275
Finally got my Exhaust-Manifold-Heat-Shields back from the powder-coater.................both are high temp coatings that are used on Headers............... price was $100.00 for the both.....
I can not at this time tell you what the Bolt-thread/length are..
..bike in storage....due to Snow/Cold/Salt.....will post this info at a future date..................EnjoY.............tom n carol.

...one shield is - Titanium - dull-finish-no shine............
...the other is - Chromex - glossy and bright..............
...P.S. - the underside of these shields are also coated.

heat-shield4.JPG
heat-shield1.JPG

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the great idea,your part number made it so easy.This is my diy ceramic coating for 10 bucks.' VHT flame proof ceramic coating in spray can,if you follow instructions you'll be amazed at y he finish.
The chrome coating looks awesome,you cant beat that, thanks again for your great idea,I am in miami with perfect weather but waiting for my base and it's killing me.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hi ......... joe garica ....... your DIY coating looks as good as my Pro-Painted...AND ....................

.. same Color/Sheen ... much cheaper - no gas/tolls/driving time/a whole-whole-lot- less-waiting-time .................. Good 4-U ...............................tom/carol-at-muthas

P.S. that is not chrome-plating it is the same that you would see on
many Drag/Race cars ..... You can polish them, if you get a scratch -
you sand a-little let get Hot ... scratch should-disappear ....
AND ....WILL - PREVENT - HEAT - TO THE - UNDERSIDE -OF - YOUR -
- HOOD - Causing Possible . . . PAINT-WRAP - DAMAGE -

HEAT-SHIELD-JOE-GARCIA-DIY.jpg
heat-shield4.JPG
HEAT-SHIELD-JOE-GARCIA-DIY.jpg

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I also went the budget heat shield route, instead of ordering on line with shipping cost that double the price you pay .you can go to any local gm dealer instead and get it for about 20 bucks delivered .also instead of professional ceramic coating I went the diy ceramic coating with VHT ceramic coating in a spray can for less than ten bucks,you must bake it twice in your in your oven to complete the chemical process but the results are amazing. This is a cheap alternative until I own it for awhile and take the cat off and install headers.thanks for the part number it made it easy to order.This Is how I spend my time while I wait for my base.

That-Is-Great-News ........ You Will Be Joining "The-Titanium-Club" .
Welcome ........................................tom n carol

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Carol OK?How about CAROL and tom?
.... Carol is Fine ... Thank-You ....
Nope-Nope-Nope ... I am not going to change my endings
Its SIMPLE I end 97.999992349.% of my Posts .. WITH . .
Tom/Carol - or -Tom-Carol - or - TomnCarol - or - tom/carol -
- or - tom-carol - or - tom n carol . . . . sometimes . . Tom - or - tom
That-Is-How-I-Ended-my Posts-when-I-1st-Started .....AND.......
.....To-Me its become something like aTradeMark......................
...........tom/carol-at her mothers

(P.S. - I am very polite - hold doors open - say please, thank-you,
Bless-You, - - no coats in the water - - when I was Younger (and still would today) give my public bus/train Seat to a Woman - - (not-a-young-en ....................................AND - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- consider My-Self - Very Considerate of Others) :);):p:D:rolleyes::cigar::kiss::joyful::hungry::happy::shamefullyembarrased::smug::smuggrin: . . . . . . ................................................
BUS-NYC_Transit_Authority_Mack_C-49_.jpg
BUS4.jpg
BUS6.jpg
BUS9.jpg
BUS-1901_hershey-fall58.jpg
BUS-1956.jpg
BUS4.jpg
BUS6.jpg
BUS9.jpg
BUS-1901_hershey-fall58.jpg
BUS-1956.jpg
BUS13.jpg
BUS-MACK-1939.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi ......... joe garica ....... your DIY coating looks as good as my Pro-Painted...AND ....................

.. same Color/Sheen ... much cheaper - no gas/tolls/driving time/a whole-whole-lot- less-waiting-time .................. Good 4-U ...............................tom/carol-at-muthas

P.S. that is not chrome-plating it is the same that you would see on
many Drag/Race cars ..... You can polish them, if you get a scratch -
you sand a-little let get Hot ... scratch should-disappear ....
AND ....WILL - PREVENT - HEAT - TO THE - UNDERSIDE -OF - YOUR -
- HOOD - Causing Possible . . . PAINT-WRAP - DAMAGE -

View attachment 8114 View attachment 8115 View attachment 8114

Thanks it was your idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noticed some of the production SSs did not seem to have the cover plate over the exhaust manifold. All the pre production ones seemed to have a metal shield on top of the manifold.

I have seen a few pictures of the engine bay of the delivered units and some did not have the shield. The holes were still in the manifold on the production versions but no cover.

What have the new owners found on their's?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts