Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Touring Slingshot is up on ramps and jackstands in a garage with heat- waiting for the exhaust to arrive. It is winter in Buffalo NY and this is one of my winter projects. I have watched the install video 10+ times and have read all the posts about the exhaust system-pro-cons. I will let you know how it goes working without a lift. Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My 2019 Touring Slingshot is up on ramps and jackstands in a garage with heat- waiting for the exhaust to arrive. It is winter in Buffalo NY and this is one of my winter projects. I have watched the install video 10+ times and have read all the posts about the exhaust system-pro-cons. I will let you know how it goes working without a lift. Jim
The exhaust system arrived and I have removed the stock muffler. This install is a little harder than the video shows. The exhaust springs are very difficult. What worked best was a length of strong wire twisted around the spring and then levering the vice grips to pull the springs out. I am putting the new muffler on now-same tough springs. Slingmods need to have written directions with photos.

· Registered
16 Posts
Would you like to do a write up aka how to? You seem to be half way there with your current posts. I for one would appreciate it. I know slingmods would and I bet they would even give you a discount refund for your time and effort!?

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would you like to do a write up aka how to? You seem to be half way there with your current posts. I for one would appreciate it. I know slingmods would and I bet they would even give you a discount refund for your time and effort!?
That is beyond my ability---and so might be the exhaust install. I will add to these posts as I go along-maybe I can get some help and it will be useful for the next guy. Post for today-the springs are still a problem. I have tried everything. Washers inserted in the springs-to lengthen them-helps for a few. I have 6 springs on the new muffler-2 to go. The new muffler is a longer stretch for the springs from the stock muffler. Some have posted they needed to buy longer springs(ACE hardware). --Jim

· Registered
89 Posts
The exhaust system arrived and I have removed the stock muffler. This install is a little harder than the video shows. The exhaust springs are very difficult. What worked best was a length of strong wire twisted around the spring and then levering the vice grips to pull the springs out. I am putting the new muffler on now-same tough springs. Slingmods need to have written directions with photos.
I found same thing, couldn't get leverage to remove. Gave up and paid dealer $400 to install exhaust system.

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use pullers similar to these:
Amazon spring pullers

Even with these, I believe the job mandates some knuckle damage and dna to be left behind..
Well I am a litttle further along with the install. I removed the cat converter and it was then easy to put the new muffler on the cat with the correct springs. The unit, muffler and cat converter fit back in and install easy. I bought new springs, a new donut gasket and cat to exhaust manifold round gasket. more to come-Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I am a litttle further along with the install. I removed the cat converter and it was then easy to put the new muffler on the cat with the correct springs. The unit, muffler and cat converter fit back in and install easy. I bought new springs, a new donut gasket and cat to exhaust manifold round gasket. more to come-Jim
The CD I bought -a repair manual for the slingshot on ebay was helpful. The exhaust springs are #7043726,(price about 4.00) the donut gasket betweed the cat-converter and the new mufler is part # 3610211-they run about 35.00. The new muffler was locked into a vice and the new exhaust springs were easily installed on the cat. I did put a number of washers into the springs to extend them-makes it very easy. -Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The CD I bought -a repair manual for the slingshot on ebay was helpful. The exhaust springs are #7043726,(price about 4.00) the donut gasket betweed the cat-converter and the new mufler is part # 3610211-they run about 35.00. The new muffler was locked into a vice and the new exhaust springs were easily installed on the cat. I did put a number of washers into the springs to extend them-makes it very easy. -Jim
Lets start at the begining: 1. video used does not have the exhaust muffler shield on-I had to take mine off(bent it some). In order to remove the muffler. The new muffler is smaller-the shield fits back on. It also has the header shield off-maybe for lighting for the video. 2. the cable that goes to the right back hood latch has to be released(at least I had to release it) to get the old muffler out and to get in the new muffler with the cat. attached with the springs-back in-Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lets start at the begining: 1. video used does not have the exhaust muffler shield on-I had to take mine off(bent it some). In order to remove the muffler. The new muffler is smaller-the shield fits back on. It also has the header shield off-maybe for lighting for the video. 2. the cable that goes to the right back hood latch has to be released(at least I had to release it) to get the old muffler out and to get in the new muffler with the cat. attached with the springs-back in-Jim
New info. I see that I thought that there were 8 springs on the old and new muffler-there are only 6. I got this 8 number from an old post as I was researching the install. Before I looked at the CD Manual I just could not figure out how I would get all these on. Four connecting to the Cat converter, two from the new muffler to parts of the frame. -Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New info. I see that I thought that there were 8 springs on the old and new muffler-there are only 6. I got this 8 number from an old post as I was researching the install. Before I looked at the CD Manual I just could not figure out how I would get all these on. Four connecting to the Cat converter, two from the new muffler to parts of the frame. -Jim
Now I am struggling with the transmission mount bolts as the mount has to be removed. The cut off of the bolts went fine. Now I am having trouble with the two bolts that have a nut on them. The bolt is 13mm the nut is 15mm-took a while to figure that out. These are on tight-may be loc-tight involved. The video has a direct access to the nut-my set up does not. ---Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now I am struggling with the transmission mount bolts as the mount has to be removed. The cut off of the bolts went fine. Now I am having trouble with the two bolts that have a nut on them. The bolt is 13mm the nut is 15mm-took a while to figure that out. These are on tight-may be loc-tight involved. The video has a direct access to the nut-my set up does not. ---Jim
Exhaust install. I got off the two bolts and nuts off the transmission mount -heavy red loctite-I had to soak them in brake cleaner- After that they came right off. It would have been great to see this in the video or instructions. Installed the new transmission mount, again I could have used directions, the mount is adjustable and has to be adjusted in order to install the bolts and then tightened up at the end-not on video -no directions. The new transmission mount is of good quality. I had it(the trans mount) in and out 2 times. None of this would be that hard if there were instructions. Hey I am getting ready to install the exhaust pipes. Most of the hard work is done. moving on-Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exhaust install. I got off the two bolts and nuts off the transmission mount -heavy red loctite-I had to soak them in brake cleaner- After that they came right off. It would have been great to see this in the video or instructions. Installed the new transmission mount, again I could have used directions, the mount is adjustable and has to be adjusted in order to install the bolts and then tightened up at the end-not on video -no directions. The new transmission mount is of good quality. I had it(the trans mount) in and out 2 times. None of this would be that hard if there were instructions. Hey I am getting ready to install the exhaust pipes. Most of the hard work is done. moving on-Jim
Well the muffler is in-looks good a little smaller than the stock. I will put the muffler shield on when I finish. Now for today a simple l job-moving the water pipe and installing a new bracket to move it over. The old bracket is easy to remove one 10mm nut, there is a new clamp you need to install-it comes with the kit. You expand the clamp and it is hard to put on and screw in a bolt and washer. I am going to by a longer allen bolt and see if it is easier. -Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the muffler is in-looks good a little smaller than the stock. I will put the muffler shield on when I finish. Now for today a simple l job-moving the water pipe and installing a new bracket to move it over. The old bracket is easy to remove one 10mm nut, there is a new clamp you need to install-it comes with the kit. You expand the clamp and it is hard to put on and screw in a bolt and washer. I am going to by a longer allen bolt and see if it is easier. -Jim
Water pipe moving: I bought a longer 8mm allen bolt which helped, the bolt that came with the kit was very small, hard to grip and fell out often. I used a small vice grip to hold the clamp together while I put in the 8mm allen bolt. I glued the washer to the top of the clamp to hold it in place-then put in the bolt. Water pipe relocated.-Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Water pipe moving: I bought a longer 8mm allen bolt which helped, the bolt that came with the kit was very small, hard to grip and fell out often. I used a small vice grip to hold the clamp together while I put in the 8mm allen bolt. I glued the washer to the top of the clamp to hold it in place-then put in the bolt. Used liquid electric tape for glue. Water pipe relocated.-Jim
The next step is to put in the pipe that bolts up to the new muffler. A gasket and three allen bolts and 3 washers and 3 nuts. I did glue the gasket to the muffler(light dab of muffler cement)to keep it from falling. This all went well.
Today I put in the longer "Y" pipe which runs from the pipe off the muffler -past the transmission(over the frame rails) to the back of the slingshot. Went on well following the directions in the Slingmods video. -Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The next step is to put in the pipe that bolts up to the new muffler. A gasket and three allen bolts and 3 washers and 3 nuts. I did glue the gasket to the muffler(light dab of muffler cement)to keep it from falling. This all went well.
Today I put in the longer "Y" pipe which runs from the pipe off the muffler -past the transmission(over the frame rails) to the back of the slingshot. Went on well following the directions in the Slingmods video. -Jim
R&D Touring Muffler install: I am so good at this I might put in a 1320v1 header. Any suggestions on a good vendor?-Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The exhaust and header are on my 2019 slingshot. I will review the tricky areas in another post
Tighten it up-last post before review of project. In the video you are to go over all your nuts and bolts -make sure nothing is touching the frame, align the rear two exhausts and then tighten it all up. Be sure to tighten the transmission bracket nuts and bolts, supplied with the kit, first--before you install the section section of the pipe(the Y pipe). How would I know that? -Jim

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tighten it up-last post before review of project. In the video you are to go over all your nuts and bolts -make sure nothing is touching the frame, align the rear two exhausts and then tighten it all up. Be sure to tighten the transmission bracket nuts and bolts, supplied with the kit, first--before you install the section section of the pipe(the Y pipe). How would I know that? -Jim
Before wrap up -overview. The rubber mount that is clamped to the rear passenger frame to hook on the passenger side tailpipe will interfere with an electrical connection attached to the frame. I put rubber under the electrical connection and moved it away from the frame pipe- over the clamp-then zip tied it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts