Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Exempt from Helmet in Alabama.

10K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  RABTECH 
#1 ·
Ill have to enlarge and laminate this chart. I normally wear a helmet but this would be nice to know when riding slow in town.

See less See more
#4 ·
Think about it this way. It has sides and seat bets. And a windshield. I can not think of a better example of enclosed. (i mean i can, but i don't want to for the purposes of this post....) I will Laminate several copies of this chart and the other chart defining footrest as being required. And ill pass them out to whichever cop stops me.

#7 ·
I Googled Alabama enclosed cab and I found the part about footrest. The nhtsa page i posted says "enclosed cab" . Its definitely a enclosed cab. It's truly a gray area. But I don't think it would be difficult to win in court if you provided documentation above. I will definitely keep all the documents I can find with me and ill also laminate a few copies and give them to anyone that stops me. And the main thing is to firmly but respectively stand your ground.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I Googled Alabama enclosed cab and I found the part about footrest. The nhtsa page i posted says "enclosed cab" . Its definitely a enclosed cab. It's truly a gray area. But I don't think it would be difficult to win in court if you provided documentation above. I will definitely keep all the documents I can find with me and ill also laminate a few copies and give them to anyone that stops me. And the main thing is to firmly but respectively stand your ground.

With all the time, money, and lawyers Polaris has spent on getting the slingshot classified as a motorcycle I don't think any loop hole you try to come up with will hold water. Just my opinion.

#9 ·
It upsets me when people just accept what a officer says as fact. You have your right to your opinion. The judge will either agree or disagree with your line of thinking. So if the time comes that I loose my "side of the road case" ill be prepared for the courtroom. My friends that i ride with are judges and attorneys so I have learned that the officer can write a ticket for what he wants. The judge and you have the opportunity to discuss if its legal or not.

Reactions: C.G
#13 ·
Anytime...

I think that if people get out on the road with the proper helmet law documentation and explain in detail to whomever pulls them over. They stand a very good chance to prove their point. There is no better current example to claim the "enclosed motorcycle exemption" in Alabama. It is actually an extremely good example of the enclosed exemption.

#16 ·
Scenario.
Im in a convertible, a cop stops me and says, "your convertible is not an enclosed cab as per the law".
After i get through laughing, i press a button and a top comes up, windows roll up and makes it an enclosed cab.
A cop stops you in your slingshot and says "your cab is not enclosed."
What button you gonna push to raise the top and roll up the windows making it an enclosed cab?
Again it all depends of the judges interpretation of the law, and i think a judge will look at a SS as not being able to have an enclosed cab, especially since slingshot designed it as an open cab with no roof, windows.
a speed limit is just that, the highest speed you may drive under optimal conditions.
You can get a speeding ticket in bad weather for driving the speed limit, its called too fast for conditions.
But good luck to you in your future litigations, I hope things go your way in the hearing.

#17 ·
I was discussing the SS with my next door nabber and your post on the al-dot. In hopes you where right. NOT! He said U Loose and will be on the look out for the SS ! In hopes he runs across U too discuss your laminated card. By the way drives a dodge Challenger

#18 ·
I'm afraid that y'all are correct. They will let you ride in a open side car without a helmet. But not a motorcycle by definition. However I can ride my Polaris RZR down the road without a helmet. THIS SUCKS

Sent using my fat thumbs via Taptalk App.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.