Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that the radio with backup camera is over priced for such a small screen and no GPS. Not sure if even have a amp. 2199.00 over priced. Does anybody have an alternative that will fit and waterproof. If I could get a larger waterproof screen and place Bluetooth, backup camera with lpod interface receiver in dash. I would pay that price for this.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
On my list of to-do mods is to put a waterproof 7" tablet in it with a backup camera rigged up. I got the Titanium model so I plan to hinge the tablet over the hole/cubby that is there (think of it like a garage door). Of course the tablet has bluetooth, music, nav, and everything else.

I know there are cases that are waterproof but I was hoping for it to look a little less Tupperware-ish

Sony just released a waterproof tablet (the Z2) but it is 10" and I would like something a bit smaller so hopefully they will release a 7" as well. Mind you the 10" is still only $499 so you still have A LOT of that $2199.00 left over for cabling and waterproof rear camera. ;)

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
I was pickin up what you were laying down.

I am also toying with a helmet HUD (just posted some threads in the helmet section) which may mean I can forgo the tablet idea. Choices choices.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if the Harley Davidson navigation/gps unit will fit in the place of slingshot radio. It's 400.00 cheaper. It has a larger screen

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm ordering the standard SS due to the price being over priced for rims, tires and a sound system. My first thought was to due an iPad mini in a Tank waterproof case, but I agree with Tango that it does not really give a clean look. My new thought process is to do a custom iPad mini float mount from (www.soundmanca.com) and body work it into the cubby in the dash. Then send the iPad mini to a company called liquipel (www.liquipel.com) where they will use a special process to make the device waterproof. I've actually seen the product work in real life at CES a couple years back. They were taking apple and android devices and dropping them into water and they would work both in the water and out of the water. My main concern will be the glare on any device that is placed in or around the dash. My plan is to place an HD anti-glare screen protector but I still think i will need to come up with some sort of sun visor. I live in Las Vegas so my SS has many hot sunny days in its future. For sound I will most likely do an amp with some nice waterproof speakers in kick panels and a 8"sub in the cubby behind the passenger (depends if sub cost me to much storage). This will mainly be a weekend play thing so no real need to haul stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm thinking about forgoing the stereo in favor of a garmin zumo 665 (with XM) or 590 (Pandora/ipod control) piped to helmet headsets. Not cheap, but cheaper than the stock stereo

·
Registered
12 Posts
My plan is to just use my iPad Mini in a Lifeproof case. It's waterproof and has everything I need, including SiriusXM. Nolan N-Com helmets will give me intercom communication with a passenger and Bluetooth compatibility.

I wouldn't bother with expensive radioes and speakers, as you would never be able to hear anything with the wind and engine noise. Plus the iPad has navigation already in it. A simple Ram mount over the cubby hole should works easily and inexpensively.

SamM

1 - 20 of 41 Posts