Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "check engine" code that reads 0 65557 with a 9 below and also a 1 84 with a 12 under it. Attaching pics. Anyone know what this means?

I was driving the slingshot and it acted like the key got turned off and back on again. The speedo and tach went full scale to zero, then back to the "real" reading and all the dash lights came on. Also the power steering went dead for a second. The engine seemed to stay running during this event but its hard to tell. It seemed to run but there was not much power. Very discomforting!

I checked the battery connections and they are tight.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
It is a error code from the CAN triggered by the stability control.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Oh and the other error code (84-12) is another error originating from the CAN. It appears to have something to do with a clearing of data. It may not be a severe error, but I always recommend taking a vehicle in for diagnosis, especially when you are under warranty.

Reactions: pocketlieb

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Yeah... I mean I posted it just above you. What sort of diagnosis does it provide? Not sure. You have to take it to your dealer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically it was from the electrical issues I was having. Nothing in the codes explained it really. The top fuse in the rear was flaky and causing weird problems such as this.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Bummer...... 13400 miles, and this code raised its ugly little head yesterday evening....... When it came on, another light went on briefly- around the 9 o'clock area, so I am presuming it was ESP or ESP off. That light went out quickly, so I cannot confirm. Un-plugged the ECU for 20 minutes, to see if it corrected itself. but no such luck........ Guess it is a trip to the dealer today:(:mad::banghead:

Well- I'll be durned--- it cleared itself! Backed it out of the driveway, and drove around the block so I could park in front of the house- and the silly CEL went out! Will take a ride and put some miles on it, to see if it stays gone. :happy::happy:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Basically it was from the electrical issues I was having. Nothing in the codes explained it really. The top fuse in the rear was flaky and causing weird problems such as this.
same issue- CEL 65557....... I got the light show, with all the lights coming on for a second, then- only the CEL- constant. Intermittent ABS and ESP lights through-out the day..... Looks like a trip to the dealer, after all

·
Registered
872 Posts
update- Dealer & Polaris are perplexed.
Well, I have temporarily traded a fast red one for the slow gray.
Yesterday, on the way to the dealer, (about 45 miles up the road,) I am almost finished merging on the freeway- stepped on it, to get into the traffic, and all lights came one, both needles cycled all the way to the right, and the radio went off, "booting" came up. All returned to "normal" readings, with the CEL light on and the radio audibly quieter. 2 hands in a death grip on the wheel, and praying under my breath, I continued on. less than 5 miles later- 3 lights flashed- ESP, Traction Control, and Brake Failure. About 4 miles later- same thing. I turned the radio off, and continued driving. No more butt-puckering incidents until I arrived at the dealer- visibly shaken. Polaris engineer said replace rear battery cable. After replacing the negative battery cable, which was corroded - no improvement. Engineer said- check all fuses. Checked all fuses- front & rear fuse boxes- no bad fuses. Cleared to code with the digital wrench, and he took it for a test ride, trying to force a failure (read aggressive driving). He was able to replicate the "re-booting" twice. Late in the day, and he just said- that my SS was not going home with me. Sales Mgr immediately said- take the demo. With the time difference between west coast and the engineer, Jake (tech), said he was going to document the latest, and send to engineer, and would try to figure out what else..... Service manual has very little info on the ESP. Jake thinks harness short or computer.......
In the meantime, the slow gray, (at least has a stock windshield,) is WAY better than no slingshot!

·
Registered
872 Posts
update:
spoke with the tech yesterday afternoon. In Theory, (time change meant tech could not verify), Polaris shipped out a new & improved ESP unit. Mechanic did not tell me what was different- only that the Polaris Engineer said that they had been having problems with the original one, and had "upgraded". (Could mean cheaper supplier, as far as I know.) IF Polaris got it out yesterday, it should arrive late Tuesday. I will see if I can find out more info on the part change......

·
Registered
872 Posts
update:
slingshot on life support, Polaris scratching head, (or elsewhere).....
day number 17 in the shop.
Battery cable replace, ESP/ABS Hydraulic Unit replaced. Codes cleared- test drive.....
Failed miserably.......... Same full sweep of gauges, and re-booting, but with the new ESP/ABS, it now does it in slow motion......... (Note- at this time- engine does not die, and no power loss felt- radio volume changes during "re-boot). All pins and connections have now been checked 3 times.
I am MISERABLE- loaner has a major belt tension & alignment issue- squeals like a stuck hog, and is embarrassing to drive- it is that loud. It has really mushy brakes, and the no-power-steering glitch on start up..........
@Rabtech you got any ideas?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
update:
slingshot on life support, Polaris scratching head, (or elsewhere).....
day number 17 in the shop.
Battery cable replace, ESP/ABS Hydraulic Unit replaced. Codes cleared- test drive.....
Failed miserably.......... Same full sweep of gauges, and re-booting, but with the new ESP/ABS, it now does it in slow motion......... (Note- at this time- engine does not die, and no power loss felt- radio volume changes during "re-boot). All pins and connections have now been checked 3 times.
I am MISERABLE- loaner has a major belt tension & alignment issue- squeals like a stuck hog, and is embarrassing to drive- it is that loud. It has really mushy brakes, and the no-power-steering glitch on start up..........
@Rabtech you got any ideas?

In this situation if it were on my lift I guess I would start with checking everything that has a plug on it. I would take the ECU loose and plug it back in. Next the power steering plugs and on and on........ I would go to the back pull the battery and unhook the ground connection where it connects to the frame and reconnect it.

You have an electrical issue it sounds like. And major plugs would be where I would concentrate my efforts first. Then work my way down to smaller items such the wheel speed sensors and items like that.

I wish I could tell you right were to go and fix it but I can't. Maybe the tech will run thru all the major connections and find the problem.

Also make sure your drivers seat isn't sliding back and pinching any of the wires. I had a weird thing happening once when the seat slid back into the factory seat heater wires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same code and after some searching I found a wire harness was touching the steering column and had rubbed through the insulation leaving bare wires. This threw a flag to the canbus system and the error code. It had gone as far to shot off the power steering and the cruise control wasn't working at all. I took it in, told them what I found and 15 min later they had it repaired and newly zip tied away. The reason for taking it in was to get the code cleared as I do not have nor do I want to drop the cash on the digital wrench. All and all an easy fix. One that shouldn't have existed but easy fix all the same. Still love the SS more than any vehicle I've owned and this is just one her her many idiosyncrasies.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts