Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice..

I bought my SS from a dealer that is 300 miles away from my home (only place that still had 1st delivery). Do you guys/girls think this is too far to drive the new SS back due to the "break in" period of the engine?

Everything I read about motorcycle break in periods vary in opinion and I don't know much about the SS engine as it relates to traditional motorcycles.

THANK YOU!

·
Vendor
118 Posts
I dont know what Polaris thinks or has to say about an engine break in procedure. But new vehicles dont require a break in. They just basically do it on their own. No special driving or more frequent oil changes or different fuel. Just drive it;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Funny you posted this today because I was just thinking about what the recommended break in proceeder will be this morning. I may have a trip pending to pick up mine as well.

I've heard some people say break it in how you intend to use it :)

I don't think 300 miles will be a big deal at. I would probably just vary the speed some, no cruise control.

·
Registered
796 Posts
You could maintain a constant ground speed, but vary the engine speed (rpms) by switching back & forth between 4rth & 5th gears. Don't you just hate it when the guy ahead of you speeds up and slows down, forcing you to have to disengage your cruise control? Or the guy behind you is suddenly on your tail? Unless your on a very lonely road, varying your ground speed can be a real nuisance. When I get my SS, I'm taking a trip from Shreveport Louisiana to Mobile Alabama, about 800 miles round trip. My folks in Mobile are just as excited about seeing the roadster as I am! Will be interesting to see the mpg figures too on such a trip. And I'm quite sure we can expect to be held hostage at every gas station! And we will be doing a lot waving to excited kids peering out of their back windows!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Each line of the Highway have their kind of speed limit...Left is for high speed....middle is middle speed and right is the slow one...so just change line every 5 minutes...:D

·
Vendor
118 Posts
You could maintain a constant ground speed, but vary the engine speed (rpms) by switching back & forth between 4rth & 5th gears.
There will be no switching gears on the highway in this SS.. You'll be spinning some pretty good RPMs at 75-80 in 5th.. Dropping down to 4th would just to be too much..

·
Registered
796 Posts
Beep. Wrong answer. In 5th gear at 60 mph, the rpms are only 2,000. So at 80mph, under 2,700. In fourth gear at 80, the rpms would be only 4,000 rpms. Still pretty low. 4,000 out of a possible 7,000. Barely over half of maximum.
Based on the published manufacturer specs, I calculated the mph (rounded to whole #'s) of each gear at the 7,000 rpm rev-limiter. And I couldn't help but notice that the first three gears are fairly close ratio..... then 4 & 5 are a whole other story. Much taller. My guess is that 4th will actually be faster than 5th because 5th gear is a true functioning overdrive for lowering the rpm's as much as possible for highway speeds. 5th will be useless for acceleration, but great for engine wear/mileage.

1rst=38mph
2nd=62mph
3rd=92mph
4th=140mph
5th=192mph

·
Registered
796 Posts
In a Buick, true. But in a topless roadster with a short header exhaust? At the July 27th extravaganza reveal, several YouTube videos were made. Almost every tester avoided 5th gear, even at 80-90! Evidently, this little engine is refined, smooth, and doesn't fight back when revved. They, and the machine, seemed perfectly content with the revs. Doesn't do much for fuel economy!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
This is a good thread to talk about. Because I too was concerned since I will be buying my SS out of state as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive heard that every unit for the intial batches is getting close to a 100 mile test run before delivery to the dealers to insure proper fit and finish and to ensure problem free up front.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Centhron, It grieves me no end to have to say that here in 'Murica, the slow drivers tend to use any lane they feel like and seem to feel like they are doing a public service showing everyone how slow they can drive!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Engine break-in is critical in this mechanics humble opinion. In short, all 4 stroke engine cylinders are honed to a specific roughness, for a reason. Reason being....all piston rings are not perfectly round. Acceleration and deceleration causes pressure behind the piston rings forcing them outward against the cylinder walls, thus wearing (seating) the piston rings to the cylinder walls. Better seating results in higher compression and less oil "blow-by", resulting in more HP and better engine performance and longevity. I am not saying to put er to the wood, by any means, but acceleration and deceleration are a GOOD thing. 1/2 to 3/4 throttle will benefit the critical break-in period. Another very important thing to remember during the break-in period is the oil. I don't recommend synthetic oil for this, as much as I love synthetic oil, just too slippery to allow proper ring seating. Changing the oil AND filter often during the engine break-in period is very critical, using a good grade regular (non synthetic) oil and recommended filter. After the break-in period, add your favorite synthetic oil and ENJOY !!! Remember...IMHO

·
The Pack
5,180 Posts
Engine break-in is critical in this mechanics humble opinion. In short, all 4 stroke engine cylinders are honed to a specific roughness, for a reason. Reason being....all piston rings are not perfectly round. Acceleration and deceleration causes pressure behind the piston rings forcing them outward against the cylinder walls, thus wearing (seating) the piston rings to the cylinder walls. Better seating results in higher compression and less oil "blow-by", resulting in more HP and better engine performance and longevity. I am not saying to put er to the wood, by any means, but acceleration and deceleration are a GOOD thing. 1/2 to 3/4 throttle will benefit the critical break-in period. Another very important thing to remember during the break-in period is the oil. I don't recommend synthetic oil for this, as much as I love synthetic oil, just too slippery to allow proper ring seating. Changing the oil AND filter often during the engine break-in period is very critical, using a good grade regular (non synthetic) oil and recommended filter. After the break-in period, add your favorite synthetic oil and ENJOY !!! Remember...IMHO
What do you think about the rumor that these will all come to us with about a hundred miles on them? That would put you past the ring seating period. I don't really believe it, that would take thousands of man hours to put a hundred miles on each one.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Often, manufacturers will run an engine for a set amount of time while it is still at the factory, prior to being placed in its permanent home under the hood. This runtime might equate to 100 miles of real-world driving. We will all know what Polaris says soon when we get our hands on the owner's manual that comes with our new toy!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Polaris may or may not have ran these engines before installation, my guess is that GM surely did prior to providing the engines to Polaris. Proper ring seating can take up to 1500 miles, too many variables to put an exact mileage on it. I have an owners manual coming from Chris Ball, when I get it, I will post what Polaris has to say about break-in procedure.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts