Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elio Motors made a put stop in Austin a few days ago and a buddy of mine got some great pics of it.

Source: Elio Forums

He couldn't believe how many people were there checking it out. Pretty cool vehicle for the money, not sure if it has enough performance for me though :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
You can't beat the price, but it is definitely designed more for economy than sport. It makes 55 hp out of the 3 cylinder motor and they offer an manual or automatic transmission. Could be fun to turbocharge :)

·
Vendor
2,226 Posts
Pretty cool because of the price. Other than the fact that the Elio and Slingshot both have 3 wheels... I think they appeal to entirely different markets. If i pulled up to an Elio at a stoplight in my Slingshot, I wouldn't be thinkin' its competition. ;)

·
Registered
796 Posts
I put down a $1,000 non-refundable deposit down for an Elio last November. If they go belly up, it will be the most expensive T-shirt I ever bought!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Same basic concept, 3 wheels, but other than that totally different designs.
It is designed for the 'burb commuter as basic, no frills transportation that gets outrageous hwy fuel economy over performance. 84 mpg and 0-60 in 10-11 sec. A 55hp 3 cyl with either manual or auto, but it does come with A/C, cruise control and power windows and assisted power steering of some type. Technical and aesthetic info is even more rare than Slingshot info. They haven't even designed the instrument gauge cluster yet. It has only 1 entry door (left) and they have cut "extras" and manufacturing costs so far that you have to use the windshield washer jug you buy at the auto parts store as the washer reservoir jug in the car as it does not come with it's own jug, just a shelf in the engine bay to hold the aftermarket jug.
They have placed the fuel filler on the right hand side of the car to save the extra expense of the crossover tube to place it on the left hand side with the main car door.
Except for the newly designed 100% aluminum high efficiency engine, the whole car is supposed to be designed with "off the shelf, readily available" parts.
I like the design and concept, the fuel mileage, and the fact it is enclosed and has A/C. And i really like the looks of it. So i went in with a $1k non-refundable "all in" reservation with the belief and hope that it will make it to production and a guaranteed place in line, which currently is ahead of about 30,000 other reservations.
Then i found the slingshot.
So with my excellent reasoning skills, i convinced myself that I need a slingshot to tide me over for the next 1+ years while waiting on the Elio.
After all, one can never have too many toys.;):p:cool::eek:
So you guys dying over a 30+ day wait on the SS makes me chuckle a little. I am looking at over a year for the Elio.
Patience people. Good things come to those that wait. LOL. At least thats what i've been told.:banghead::arghh::finger:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm even one step more removed. I can't bring myself to put a deposit down sight unseen. As such, I'll be waiting until they show up and I can touch it before I even consider a deposit. Guess I might be waiting awhile as well. You still got us all beat with your patience on the Elio. :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm number 1,957 in line for the Elio. That's waaaay better than being at the back of the line at around 30,000. I probably could sell my spot on eBay if I needed to.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm number 1,957 in line for the Elio. That's waaaay better than being at the back of the line at around 30,000. I probably could sell my spot on eBay if I needed to.
I'm #5450 on the Elio.
And i'm #6 for the SS Gray, but my dealer says that since everyone else is wanting the SL, that may work in my favor and I might get mine before #3-4-5 if thats the way they come in.
It seems like everything i want i have to wait for.:(
Maybe i should make an appt with the wife for sex. If i'm lucky that will happen before the Elio gets here:woot::woot::woot:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Same basic concept, 3 wheels, but other than that totally different designs.
It is designed for the 'burb commuter as basic, no frills transportation that gets outrageous hwy fuel economy over performance. 84 mpg and 0-60 in 10-11 sec. A 55hp 3 cyl with either manual or auto, but it does come with A/C, cruise control and power windows and assisted power steering of some type. Technical and aesthetic info is even more rare than Slingshot info. They haven't even designed the instrument gauge cluster yet. It has only 1 entry door (left) and they have cut "extras" and manufacturing costs so far that you have to use the windshield washer jug you buy at the auto parts store as the washer reservoir jug in the car as it does not come with it's own jug, just a shelf in the engine bay to hold the aftermarket jug.
They have placed the fuel filler on the right hand side of the car to save the extra expense of the crossover tube to place it on the left hand side with the main car door.
Except for the newly designed 100% aluminum high efficiency engine, the whole car is supposed to be designed with "off the shelf, readily available" parts.
I like the design and concept, the fuel mileage, and the fact it is enclosed and has A/C. And i really like the looks of it. So i went in with a $1k non-refundable "all in" reservation with the belief and hope that it will make it to production and a guaranteed place in line, which currently is ahead of about 30,000 other reservations.
Then i found the slingshot.
So with my excellent reasoning skills, i convinced myself that I need a slingshot to tide me over for the next 1+ years while waiting on the Elio.
After all, one can never have too many toys.;):p:cool::eek:
So you guys dying over a 30+ day wait on the SS makes me chuckle a little. I am looking at over a year for the Elio.
Patience people. Good things come to those that wait. LOL. At least thats what i've been told.:banghead::arghh::finger:
thanks for reeling us impatient ones back to reality. once upon a time there was a waiting list for a certain HD. I remember a friend saying that is what he was doing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've read about the Elio and it is an interesting concept however they still haven't put together the financing to start production which has been delayed to next fall. They've done a great job of selling the sizzle but whether there's a steak under all that smoke remains to be seen...

·
Registered
796 Posts
You are very correct. If they go belly up, I have a plan B. The all new redesigned from the ground up 2016 Smart Fortwo with the 900cc I-3 turbocharged engine mated to a 6-speed automated dual-clutch (DSG) tranny. The little stinker will have 90hp and more importantly, 100-lb-ft of torque and has a turning radius less than 23 ft! Interior all new, touchscreen, Blutooth, JBL Audio, yada yada yada. And it's a full 4 inches wider. Same width as the average car. So, from a driver & passenger perspective, it'll seem "normal". Just don't look back...... cuz there ain't nothing there!:woot:

·
Registered
916 Posts
I might be deemed a blasphemer here for saying it here because so many people say they like it and/or put money down on it but I think that the Elio is one ugly ass thing, especially the ass end. And, how can they possibly put a quality vehicle, using quality materials together for less than $10K? and it's going to get 80+ mpg's? Seems impossible to me. And the Smart car? I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Along with a Honda Fit, Chevy Spark/Sonic, Fiat whatevertheycallthem, etc. Maybe it's only me but I'd be embarassed to be seen in any of them. I'm not trying to be a troll here to stir shit up but every time I see a post mentioning an Elio, I think to myself what the hell do people see these things? It reminds me of the goofy looking enclosed bicycles you sometimes see Sorry, rant over. Cheers

·
Registered
776 Posts
People buying the Elio are most likely doing so because of price and mpgs. If Elio can bring this three wheeler to market at the price they list, and it gets close to the mpg that they say it will. Then they will sell a ton of them. But they are going to have to get their act together, soon. I could see myself buying one. I think it would be great for driving to work, a trip to the store, and other short trips. I think it looks kind of neat. Not in the same class as the SS. But the Elio will be after another market.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The Elio is just another unique vehicle. And i like unique vehicles.
You can also say the SS is a unique vehicle.
I bought my Bradley GTII because it was unique, looked good, and turned heads when you drove by.
I bought my Goldwing because it was custom painted, had 21 neon light tubes and fiber optics in the saddle bags and trunk. You could not miss this thing at night.
I bought the 04 Honda Insight because it was unique looking and got good gas mileage.
Everybody has a reason, everybody has a want, and everybody has different tastes.
Just think how boring it would be if everybody liked 1 vehicle in 1 color with 1 option.
I went all in on the Elio in the hope that it does come into fruition.
Remember, they said the Tesla would never make it to production too.
If the Elio fails, I will lose my money, but it has already left my bank account, so I won't feel it as i have already spent the money. I have already absorbed the loss, all that will remain is to see if my accountant can deduct the loss if it happens, LOL
If it does come to fruition, my $1k "investment" will return $1.5k as a deposit on the purchase. A 50% return on investment in 1.5 years is pretty good. As with all investments, there are risks of loss.
and if I am able to get my Elio, I will drive it when it rains, and the SS when it doesn't.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I agree. Ugly. But..... money in the bank is ALWAYS a beautiful thing. Plus, the uber coolness of my Slingshot SL will overshadow any other vehicle I own.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts