Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe/efficient to use something like this to drain the oil outta my Slingshot? Thanks for any and all info!

Johnson Pump Oil Change Gear Pump Kit - 12V Model# 80-47508-01

Gear Pump with Oil Change Kit 80-47508-01
12VLight and compact oil change pump with pump body and gears made of PTFE
Complete with oil dip stick extraction tube 6 and 8 mm (0.236" and 0.315"). 180 cm (70.9")
heavy duty connection wires with battery clamps.
Port connection: Outlet: 14 mm (0.551") hose Inlet: 8 mm (0.315") hose
Self priming: Up to 1 m (3.28 feet)
Capacity: 8 l/min (2.11 GPM)
Dimension: 140 x 80 mm (5.51" x 3.15")
Weight: 1.1 kg (2,3 pounds)
Fuse size 12Volts 8 Amps

untitledmmmmmmmmm.png

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I'm from the old school that doesn't look for easy ways and gimmicks to address simple tasks. The one issue is not getting all the oil drained and since any heavy metals would lay in the bottom of the pan, they would probably not be getting removed during oil changes. A normal way of draining the pan allows the heavy metal particles to actually drain out first and you would end up with a far better (in my opinion) oil change by doing the old fashioned way. Plus the real need to stay on top of having clean oil is the fact that this engine is a VVT engine which uses solenoids to alter the valve timing. These solenoids are internal and prone to getting restricted, clogged, or just plain old failure, based on lack of proper maintenance as well as other factors. Why push the envelope to save a few minutes or a few dollars in basic maintenance?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not looking for an easy way or a shortcut...just don't have access to a lift of any kind and the dealer is an hour and a half away. If ya don't have a lift or access to a lift, how can I get to the oil drain plug? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I'm not looking for an easy way or a shortcut...just don't have access to a lift of any kind and the dealer is an hour and a half away. If ya don't have a lift or access to a lift, how can I get to the oil drain plug? Thanks!
I didn't mean to sound like I was saying you were looking for an easy way out - sorry. I don't have my s/s here right now to see the clearance, but since you don't have access to a lift (or even a jack,maybe) you could see about raising the front end height enough by bringing the left front tire up onto a short 2x4 or maybe nail together a couple of them for added width, and angle cut the leading edge to look like a modified chock block. You don't need much height to crawl under with a drain pan to access the drain plug.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I thought about those plastic or steel auto ramps, but ya just don't have the clearance for them with the front wing and the fender flares. I had thought about taking the fender flares off, do the oil change and re-install the fender flares...........

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I did the first oil change by jacking up the left front and sliding a creeper under to the right side to reach the drain plug. Not too tough at all and no need to remove any panels.

·
Registered
619 Posts
A person could change it with out a jack , the trick is getting the filter off . I used channel locks with black tape around the teeth worked good but I will break down and get the right wrench next time maybe .

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
I don't know for sure because I don't have mine, but I thought it would be doable to drive up 3 corvette ramps in reverse, one for each tire.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey there....
funinthesun .... ya jacked up the left side and slid the creeper to the right side...why didn't ya jack up the right side? That's what I was thinking and then even maybe take the right front wheel off to get even more access?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
slingking...thought about that too. The front fender flares are around 10" off the ground, hmmmmmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At Auto Zone, I bought their 32 mm oil filter socket with a 3/8" square hole for a ratchet and/or extension. It fits perfectly. I also ordered the closed-crowfoot looking wrench on Ebay, just to have it. They also make one with a built-in handle. Three styles....
$_12.jpg
$(KGrHqV,!mEFIF+ooJ+NBSKe,kfL)Q~~60_12.jpg
ccccc.jpg

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
HARBOR FREIGHT STORE
EASTLAKE, OH #00202
34600 VINE ST.
EASTLAKE,OH 44095
440-918-1780

22 miles

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hey there....
funinthesun .... ya jacked up the left side and slid the creeper to the right side...why didn't ya jack up the right side? That's what I was thinking and then even maybe take the right front wheel off to get even more access?
Since I needed the extra ground clearance to slide under on a creeper. it made more sense to jack the left side up. If the right side was raised, there would be some residual oil staying in the pan since it would be away from the drain plug. By raising the left side, the drain plug would be on the lower side of the pan and have less chance of not fully draining the pan. :)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
While I'm very intrigued with the Slingshot concept as a whole, I am not too thrilled with all of the styling features. That and the difficulty of driving up onto ramps to do an oil change has me thinking about doing some bodywork mods that would allow for unimpeded egress onto ramps, with the added benefit of substantially reducing the vehicles weight.

While I have not received mine just yet, I already have an eye on some things that could shave about 100 pounds.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
While I'm very intrigued with the Slingshot concept as a whole, I am not too thrilled with all of the styling features. That and the difficulty of driving up onto ramps to do an oil change has me thinking about doing some bodywork mods that would allow for unimpeded egress onto ramps, with the added benefit of substantially reducing the vehicles weight.

While I have not received mine just yet, I already have an eye on some things that could shave about 100 pounds.
Well, with the New year coming only a week away, I myself have a way to shave about 100 pounds off the ride. Wish me luck as I know I'll be missing lots of good tasting foods while I try. :arghh:

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
slingking...thought about that too. The front fender flares are around 10" off the ground, hmmmmmmmmmm.....
Right....
The ramps themselves are 10 inches tall. I figured they were long enough to set against the tires without hitting the plastic. As you move backward up the ramp, the plastic should clear..........But again, it was just my thought. I don't know if anyone has tried it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts