Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the Gear Heads . Could I replace the Slingshot ECU with a ECU from an early model GM from a donor car ( junk yard ) ? In an effort to eliminate the rev overhang. Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Possible, but unlikely.
Even the donor car ECU wil be looking for things the Polaris may or may not be able to give.
What Im saying is that just taking some other stock ECU that might be looking at a certain set of parameters in a given way, might be different than the SS is reporting it to the ECU....
Did I confuse you enough yet??
ECUs are looking for certain things, some are even checking to see if the doors are locked. If it cant see the doors are locked, the ECU might freak out and think it is malfunctioning as the doors are supposed to lock at 10mph, but it knows the vehicle is traveling at 65mph but doesnt get a signal from the door lock speed thingy.
Or the airflow parameters might be different, the voltage to the air sensor might be different enough to tell a new ECU something is wrong when maybe something isnt....They might not speak exactly the same language.
Best bet is have the existing ECU retuned.
Who can retune these?
Bill Hahn? Turbosling?
I dont know, but someone can.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Not only that but the harness is probably all different....Its a big hassle.
Its easy enough to retune.
Done and done.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possible, but unlikely.
Even the donor car ECU wil be looking for things the Polaris may or may not be able to give.
What Im saying is that just taking some other stock ECU that might be looking at a certain set of parameters in a given way, might be different than the SS is reporting it to the ECU....
Did I confuse you enough yet??
ECUs are looking for certain things, some are even checking to see if the doors are locked. If it cant see the doors are locked, the ECU might freak out and think it is malfunctioning as the doors are supposed to lock at 10mph, but it knows the vehicle is traveling at 65mph but doesnt get a signal from the door lock speed thingy.
Or the airflow parameters might be different, the voltage to the air sensor might be different enough to tell a new ECU something is wrong when maybe something isnt....They might not speak exactly the same language.
Best bet is have the existing ECU retuned.
Who can retune these?
Bill Hahn? Turbosling?
I dont know, but someone can.
Now your are dashing my hopes of an easy and cheap fix . I confess this stuff is way over my head !!!!! Did GM produce an ECU just for the Slingshot. Or did they use one that they already use ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts