Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone really know specifically what engine the SS has and if the rods need upgrading for higher boost applications. What is known @ this point ?
Thanks .

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
LE9.

I thought someone said this thing is good to go up to 350hp....

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Has anyone checked for a block number to see for sure which engine is being used? Leftover 2009 from Soltice/Sky or newer? I heard one dealer say it was a new 2015 engine, but seriously doubt that's true. It IS new though, but not new as in this production year.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One question answered

Great question, you rather beat me to the punch on this one! Yes, with one exception: today's LE5/LE9 utilizes powdered metal connecting rods, as opposed to the forged steel rods that were in use for two model years, 2006 and 2007.

This change does revise the maximum power we can reasonably and durably expect from an otherwise stock LE5/LE9. Whereas the early forged-rod engines proved supremely durable up to and including 450BHP, for safety's sake we limit the 2008 and up to no more than 300BHP.

http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/slingshot-le5-le9-engine-discussion-thread-with-bill-hahn-jr.1128/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone really know specifically what engine the SS has and if the rods need upgrading for higher boost applications. What is known @ this point ?
Thanks .
It is the standard 2008+ GM crate engine LE5/LE9. The ONLY difference in the LE5 and LE9 is fuel injectors. We've tested the 2008+ LE5's to ~ 350 crank HP. That translates to about 300 ish RWHP. We recommend keeping the late bottom ends to around 275 -300 RWHP.

We're working with a well known national Polaris dealer now for turbo kit development. It will roll out early FY 15.

-AFI

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is the standard 2008+ GM crate engine LE5/LE9. The ONLY difference in the LE5 and LE9 is fuel injectors. We've tested the 2008+ LE5's to ~ 350 crank HP. That translates to about 300 ish RWHP. We recommend keeping the late bottom ends to around 275 -300 RWHP.

We're working with a well known national Polaris dealer now for turbo kit development. It will roll out early FY 15.

-AFI
This is strange.( does any one know ? ) ...I have a 2014 Jeep Compass with a 2.4 L engine which has the same exact specs as the 2.4 L engine in my Sling Shot. G.M. / Chrysler....Could this be the same engine ? Or is goofy that 2 major companies came up with 2 different engines with the exact same specs ? I heard the engines were made in Mexico, maybe they use the same block ? Same engine ? I am just curious.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Bill Hahn had replied to a very similar question I had posted under histhread "Turbo Update" It seems as though a few more changes are needed besides rods. Of course this is his assessment based on extensive history of working with these motors. As a very well respected turbo "guru", I would have faith that these are creditable recommendations.

"We've had excellent success on 2.4 Ecotec using upgraded connecting rods and our High-Boost Engine Kit, which we were the first to market with back in 2007 during our early development of this engine in Solstice and Sky. We would ultimately put the Bull Run Solstice into the 11 second 1/4 mile range with this kit.

The kit includes:

* Low-compression head gasket upgrade
* Valvespring and retainer upgrade
* Heavy-duty head studs
* Proprietary Hahn timing chain hardware to optimally suit altered position of cylinder head due to low-compression (thicker) head gasket

Add the connecting rods of your choice, and you're good to go! "

·
2,333 Posts
This is strange.( does any one know ? ) ...I have a 2014 Jeep Compass with a 2.4 L engine which has the same exact specs as the 2.4 L engine in my Sling Shot. G.M. / Chrysler....Could this be the same engine ? Or is goofy that 2 major companies came up with 2 different engines with the exact same specs ? I heard the engines were made in Mexico, maybe they use the same block ? Same engine ? I am just curious.
The 2.4 I4 in your Compass is one of the "Global Engine Alliance" motors used by many manufacturers. Its cylinder head was developed by Hyundai and the short block mostly by Mitsubishi. The Ecotec design was also a joint venture for multi brand world use but was between Opel/GM and Lotus. While similar specs they are unrelated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Instead of turbos and super chargers, what kind of bolt-ons and small work can we do to improve the power on these motors? Has anyone on here done small stuff? Spark plugs? Pulleys? Throttle body? Air Intake (I got in the works) exhaust (soon) but I wouldn't mind if anyone had some ideas in the other parts?!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cold air intake and exhaust headers .

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Instead of turbos and super chargers, what kind of bolt-ons and small work can we do to improve the power on these motors? Has anyone on here done small stuff? Spark plugs? Pulleys? Throttle body? Air Intake (I got in the works) exhaust (soon) but I wouldn't mind if anyone had some ideas in the other parts?!
Honestly with a good intake and exhaust and tune you can probably expect 25-30 horsies.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Orange man:
Thanks for the info. That is what I was thinking. It would be odd for Chrysler to use a GM engine.

I think with headers and air box you could gain 25 h.p. from the Sling Shot. That should be adequate and no stress on any components.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have seen no gains through an upgraded intake intake when tested on the dyno. I'm more optimistic about exhaust upgrades though. I think a good ECU tune may help too. I'm currently working on the ECU encryption/communication at this time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts