1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My first impression is that it's an overseas knockoff, which is why it's cheaper.
"You are buying on a kit of fender for ...", plus other poor grammar errors.

It might be ok, good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You may need to relocate your license plate. If you are using the stock mount there is a very good chance it will hit the fender. If you look on slingmods under the options for the hugger fender they say a plate re-locator is required

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow up:
Received fender. Looks great!
Hardware is powder coated and bolts, washers and nuts are stainless.

Sent to body shop for pearl white paint. Only difference is there’s no drill/tap kit. Can anyone recommend on what tap and bitt to buy? Need correct size for swing arm drill and tap.

More follow up to come. So far, I’m In for $300. shipped!

Thanks

Eric SS

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Somebody on a different forum bought the same fender. Unfortunately, he has had a problem with at least one of the fender brackets developing a crack. He's in the process of trying to reinforce the bracket, but thinks he'll need to repalce the glassed-in bracket with something bigger. See pics -
FenderProblem.jpg

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,158 Posts
That same somebody didn’t use a plate relocater and the plate beat up his fender. I don’t know if that caused his mounts to crack or if it’s just a weak design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
That same somebody didn’t use a plate relocater and the plate beat up his fender. I don’t know if that caused his mounts to crack or if it’s just a weak design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is true. I forgot about and should have mentioned that. Thanks for raising that issue.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,158 Posts
That is true. I forgot about and should have mentioned that. Thanks for raising that issue.
NP BKL
You know BigDog, cant be for sure what he did, that plate might have pushed the fender hard enough to bust the bracket, but with out seeing one its hard to say. Glad you mentioned it to the OP so he can decide if it needs bracing now or at least keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
NP BKL
You know BigDog, cant be for sure what he did, that plate might have pushed the fender hard enough to bust the bracket, but with out seeing one its hard to say. Glad you mentioned it to the OP so he can decide if it needs bracing now or at least keep an eye on it.
That's why I mentioned the problem. I just forgot about his other issues.:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great stuff!

There is definitely the potential for damage or perhaps tightening too much.

Since my friend is doing my fender and because he’s so damn particular, it’s been three weeks and still waiting for paint.

Seeing your comments leads me to think of adding rubber bushing, washer or Oring between the fastener and fiberglass.

As far as my license plate, I have the paramount plastics mount and it’s a low profile which will allow for more then enough clearance.

Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought one of Metrickstuff’s first fenders in April 2015. Paid about $1000 back then, it’s a bit cheaper now. In fact one of the photos on his ebay listing is of my machine. I drove to Manassas and he installed it along with the plate relocator. I added a small mudflap last year (just for fun). The fender definitely helps keep the rear end clean. I’ve had it off and bsck on several times for various reasons and have had no cracking.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I bought one of Metrickstuff’s first fenders in April 2015. Paid about $1000 back then, it’s a bit cheaper now. In fact one of the photos on his ebay listing is of my machine. I drove to Manassas and he installed it along with the plate relocator. I added a small mudflap last year (just for fun). The fender definitely helps keep the rear end clean. I’ve had it off and bsck on several times for various reasons and have had no cracking.
Since the topic of different fenders has come up, we purchased a first hand generation of the Paramount Plastics rear fender. It is the best looking fender for matching the lines of the SlingShot, (IMO), though a real PITA to install! It keeps the larger debris from beating up the rear panels, but the aerodynamics of the rear of the SlingShot still allows the road spray to coat everything.
IMGP1799.JPG IMGP1798.JPG

Bill

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I had an opportunity to pick up a 2018 GT fender. Installed it on my 2016.5, just had to drill a couple of holes in the shock bottom mount, but otherwise mounted up perfectly.

Saw a post recently about someone's Wyked Hitch drop hitch not clearing his fender (not a GT) . On my list to check tomorrow to see if it clears.
20180621_143345.jpg

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
No clearance issues, not even when I jump on the hitch. I'm 230 pounds.
20180922_125834.jpg 20180922_125850.jpg

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Also, does the fender actually keep the wet road tail off the rear deck ?
Yes. You can see where the fender works, and doesn't. Mine keeps the crap off the upper part of the deck underside, and that's good. Worst part to clean.
Other fenders are a bit longer on the front side and do a better job of keeping dirt off all the way to the angle drive.

20180922_130826.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fender is painted and mounted and I love the way it looks. I had one problem through it. My friend painted it all-white instead of white with the louvers painted black so.... NO CHARGE! I taped off the louvers and plasti-dipped them for around $3. Fender looks great!

At the end of the day, Im all in for $303 instead of $900..... B O O M ! ! ! ! !
fender 1.jpeg
fender.jpeg
fender0.jpeg
fender2.jpeg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All good info. I want to relocate my plate but I dont want to give up my led refelctor lights. I dont have the OEM plate bracket I have the Paramount Plastics air foil which shortens the bracket a lot. My fender should never get near my bracket.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts