Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Side topic:
Going over the 2018 Slingshot owners manual and it states that the alternator output is 100 amps.
There is a difference between 2015-6 and 2017-8 part numbers & cost for the alternator. Here's a page from my 2015 Owner's manual -
upload_2018-5-5_13-34-48.png

I found the 130 Amp value using a Google Seach, IIRC.
It's funny that Polaris would have reduced the alternator output while increasing its replacement cost. I assume both units mount to the same points.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yeah, mine shows 100 where yours shows 140. Also, my battery is only 400 cca where yours is 575. Go figure, maybe another cost saving measure as I can't think of any other reason...Charge more for Less....

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Polaris switched to a smaller battery to save eight midway thru the 2016 model year, IIRC. At some point, the rear swing-arm mounting point was also redesigned to cut down on weight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently installed 2nd battery with isolator on 2018 Sling. All audio and lights run off 2nd battery. Yellow top primary.

I would have preferred to go with bigger 2nd battery, but limited real estate forced the hand.

XS 750 is the battery I used, then I got isolator from amazon

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently installed 2nd battery with isolator on 2018 Sling. All audio and lights run off 2nd battery. Yellow top primary.

I would have preferred to go with bigger 2nd battery, but limited real estate forced the hand.

XS 750 is the battery I used, then I got isolator from amazon

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Where did you mount the second battery? Any pics available?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd hate to lose the limited storage space.... Is there a similar space at the back of the SS on the passenger side like the existing battery compartment? My SS is at the dealer, so I can't go out and look.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
The passenger storage is flat, IIRC. I believe a small, compact battery will fit in the driver's storage compartment trough, leaving significant storage above it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Passenger storage is not flat (at least not in the 2019). You could probably manufacture a battery compartment in the same location as the driver side, but it would take a bit of work.

Also, if you go with a rear exhaust, you could have room there where the muffler used to be for a battery, would have to heat shield it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Passenger storage is not flat (at least not in the 2019). You could probably manufacture a battery compartment in the same location as the driver side, but it would take a bit of work.

Also, if you go with a rear exhaust, you could have room there where the muffler used to be for a battery, would have to heat shield it.
No plans for a rear exhaust at this point, but as soon as I get my SS back home from the dealer, I'm going to examine the passenger side rear to see about a battery box there. I've done some fabricating in my time....

21 - 31 of 31 Posts