Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will someone offer me the advice I need concerning driving my 2016
Slingshot. I have to take it to the dealer to have them apply the upgrade on the fuse block. It only has 3,018 miles on it but what I want to know would it be advisable to drive it there (1 hr. trip) using the Turnpike or the back roads. Anything I should be made aware of like passing trucks or them passing me at the speeds allowed on the PA turnpike. All of my driving was done on rural roads never on the pike.

Thank you.

Lou

·
Registered
94 Posts
The PA Turnpike is expensive. At present all the toll booth operators have been laid off. You need EZ-Pass or they will bill you based on your license plate number (they photograph you on and off at the toll booths).

Speed limit is 70 MPH but most do 75 – 80. Don’t do over 80 or risk a ticket.

Depending where you are located you may run into construction delays.

I’ve run the Turnpike many times without issue.

It all boils down to how much time you have. In a hurry, take the turnpike.

Have time to enjoy the ride find some good back roads.

Enjoy!

Reactions: BKL

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I drive interstate all the time, usually stay in right lane running about 65-70, let all those in a hurry rush on past. Some truckers are limited to 65mph and if you hang in behind one you'll get a bit of turbulance but nothing to be concerned about. Of course you'll get some of same when they pass you, but again, no prob.

Make sure the dealer has the part to do the recall. Mine said they were back ordered at Polaris till August.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for that info.
I called the dealer this morning to check if the brake pressure switch came in but it was not and he told me nothing not even a tracking number has showed up yet. The fuse blocked is there because I told him to order it during the winter months. SoI most likely I won't have to make the trip for a while.
@gina do you drive the turnpike with your car/truck? Same rules apply --- watch everybody and drive like your life depends on it. About the same as on any road. 90,000+ miles and lots of interstate roads and no problems.
Yes I travel the turnpike every now and then but I like the advise you are giving me and will do as you say. Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Will someone offer me the advice I need concerning driving my 2016
Slingshot. I have to take it to the dealer to have them apply the upgrade on the fuse block. It only has 3,018 miles on it but what I want to know would it be advisable to drive it there (1 hr. trip) using the Turnpike or the back roads. Anything I should be made aware of like passing trucks or them passing me at the speeds allowed on the PA turnpike. All of my driving was done on rural roads never on the pike.

Thank you.

Lou
Drive safe- Wear your seat belt. Don't get a heavy foot!. Have fun. If weather is nice- Go for it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drive safe- Wear your seat belt. Don't get a heavy foot!. Have fun. If weather is nice- Go for it!
Plan on taking the wife with me as well. I won't make the trip if . It's raining. I want to see if he can do an inspection as well. I. I had it done last early August.
Lou

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks guys for that info.
I called the dealer this morning to check if the brake pressure switch came in but it was not and he told me nothing not even a tracking number has showed up yet. The fuse blocked is there because I told him to order it during the winter months. SoI most likely I won't have to make the trip for a while.

Yes I travel the turnpike every now and then but I like the advise you are giving me and will do as you say. Thanks
Think about how to drive a slingshot
It is not like a car
Think as confortable motocycle !
Get very hot most of the body it’s plastic
No insulation and noise are evident
They are things you can improve special on the passenger side ,
The engine it is very close to you
As per confort it is not like a car
Do not drive in the rain
Also one thing very important do not forget that the traction weel are in the back
And when wet if you drive in the center of the road you will loose traction due to the oil leaking from other cars and truck
This is why the center of the asfalto
It is dark , invisible when wet
And pot hole remember your back weel it at the center of the vehicle ,sorry if some of the Text has some misspelled words
It just San Italian accent :)

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
58 Posts
I just back from Pa. Was in Lancaster and central PA. Was not on the turnpike but I was on several other interstates.
Unless I really need to get somewhere in a hurry, I prefer the "blue" highways. Route 322 and U.S. 30 cross the state. We took Rt. 322 to Philipsburg from Lancaster and it was a blast.
I drove my week old SS from north ga. to Pa mostly on interstate. I-85, 77, 81
Do not go downtown Lancaster. I think it is mined!
As you near the big cities, the road quality goes down exponentially. That is when it is good to migrate to the blue highways.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got to my appointment at the Slingshot dealership near Quakertown, PA using the PA turnpike for the first time with my Slingshot. I was impressed with the ride. It stayed very stable when large trucks passed by me. I did not care for the wind hitting me when that happened. It was an hour drive both ways. The Slingshot handled it very well and it was a nice day. Because the wife was with me I honored her requests-- no passing and keep below 60 mph. Thank you all for your advice.
Lou

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just back from Pa. Was in Lancaster and central PA. Was not on the turnpike but I was on several other interstates.
Unless I really need to get somewhere in a hurry, I prefer the "blue" highways. Route 322 and U.S. 30 cross the state. We took Rt. 322 to Philipsburg from Lancaster and it was a blast.
I drove my week old SS from north ga. to Pa mostly on interstate. I-85, 77, 81
Do not go downtown Lancaster. I think it is mined!
As you near the big cities, the road quality goes down exponentially. That is when it is good to migrate to the blue highways.
In PA we take pride in that we are able to turn potholes into speedbumps.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I finally got to my appointment at the Slingshot dealership near Quakertown, PA using the PA turnpike for the first time with my Slingshot. I was impressed with the ride. It stayed very stable when large trucks passed by me. I did not care for the wind hitting me when that happened. It was an hour drive both ways. The Slingshot handled it very well and it was a nice day. Because the wife was with me I honored her requests-- no passing and keep below 60 mph. Thank you all for your advice.
Lou
What size wind shield are you running?

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I have always had a larger windshield on my Gold Wings and on my Slingshots. You might want to see if you can meet up with some of the other riders in your area and see what they are using. I have a F4 tinted 5+ which is 5 inches taller than stock.
With the taller windshield you will need to add Baker 'Air Wings' to bring in cool on warm days and keep out the cold on those days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts