Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have quite a few owners out there, I thought it would be interesting to hear your experiences driving in inclimate weather. Since polaris has clearly issued warnings about driving in the rain and on wet road surfaces - please share your experiences. How hard was it raining? How fast were you going? Will you drive in the rain again? Any close calls?driving techniques to stay safe in the rain? Etc etc.. Thank you.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Weeeee....a....weeeee....a...weeeee. Screaming like a little girl. That's what I would imagine myself. If only my Slingshot would arrive. Waiting since Sept.2014 when I put my deposit down...yes Titanium color one. Have a safe ride my friend.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No problem in the rain. Here's a short video of the start of my 22-mile short cut through tha California hills east of the 680 from Milpitas to Sunol. I was taking it easy in the video, but soon after I was hitting pretty hard. The Slingshot was very stable and predictable - and a lot of fun

Here's the link to YouTube:

NOTE: For those who haven't driven a SS yet, due to where I have the GoPro camera mounted:

1) I love the Formula 1 whine of the Bevel drive gear, but it's not as loud as it sounds on the video (The camera is mounted to the structure above this gear assembly which makes it sound much louder than it is);
2) The GoPro's wide-angle lens makes the Slingshot look very narrow - it's not (it's 77.6" wide - 7" wider than a Corvette Stingray, 10" wider than the Morgan 3-wheeler and 4" wider than my SSR truck!); and
3) It looks as if I'm sitting very high, but I'm only 11" off the ground.

·
Registered
157 Posts
No rain warning here in BC - will check with dealer, , we drove home in the rain it bounced off of the top of our helmets, bought bubble windshields higher do not see any major problems except drainage from the interior

Most people south of the Canadian border think Seattle is rainy----nothing compared to the lower mainlalnd in BC, If you can see across the street in the rain it is cosidered a light drizzle, it's only when vision is blurred is it considered rain

·
Registered
513 Posts
It never rains in Seattle :rolleyes:. Only when I picked up my SS :D
Light rain, freeway @70 mph kept me dried most part. I haven't done anything stupid to get myself into "close call" situation. SS is just a toy for me to ride on a sunny day so my SS will not see the wet pavement ever again ! :cigar:

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have only had 2 dry days here since the middle of November- so every day I have driven has been in the rain. Once you get past "my bike is dirty" part its fine. Temps have been from a low of 15 to a high of 45- and it is a blast to drive!! With the windshield and a helmet you are actually very well protected.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I purchased my SS SL from California Speed-Sports in Livermore. They only received two, mine and the owner's demo SL. They keep getting conflicting info from Polaris on when additional units will be received: expect a full truck (8 units), expect only 2, expect all pre-sold to be delivered by the end of the year - changes every day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I purchased my SS SL from California Speed-Sports in Livermore. They only received two, mine and the owner's demo SL. They keep getting conflicting info from Polaris on when additional units will be received: expect a full truck (8 units), expect only 2, expect all pre-sold to be delivered by the end of the year - changes every day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How much did Livermore charge you for delivery and setup?

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
I was caught it the rain once. It was a pretty heavy rain. 30 something degrees. Some freeway and some surface streets.
Even more rear wheel spin when leaving a light do to wet roads. All other handling aspects of the ride were the same as a car. I had a snowmobile suit and full faced helmet on. While moving the rain barely touches you. Stop lights suck, you get wet rather quick when stuck at a light. All in all, not bad.
And like I tell people when I drive in the rain, or drive it to work on a day that it gets rained on. Marine grade interior, 2 year warranty, best to find an issue now.;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks;

Well I hope San Jose gets their first two before Livermore gets more.

Uh oh, I hope that's not why they call it Livermore.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No problem in the rain. Here's a short video of the start of my 22-mile short cut through tha California hills east of the 680 from Milpitas to Sunol. I was taking it easy in the video, but soon after I was hitting pretty hard. The Slingshot was very stable and predictable - and a lot of fun

Here's the link to YouTube:

NOTE: For those who haven't driven a SS yet, due to where I have the GoPro camera mounted:

1) I love the Formula 1 whine of the Bevel drive gear, but it's not as loud as it sounds on the video (The camera is mounted to the structure above this gear assembly which makes it sound much louder than it is);
2) The GoPro's wide-angle lens makes the Slingshot look very narrow - it's not (it's 77.6" wide - 7" wider than a Corvette Stingray, 10" wider than the Morgan 3-wheeler and 4" wider than my SSR truck!); and
3) It looks as if I'm sitting very high, but I'm only 11" off the ground.
Where exactly did you mount the camera?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts