Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now this is directed to all the folks out there that have never driven a stick shift manual transmission. For all the guys, girls, wives and friends that have looked at this fabulous ride only to find out it is not automatic, here is a look at what is required to learn to drive. So, show this to that person that would like to learn. It only takes a short time to get the hang of it and you will be cruising like a hot dog. This will work with any Stick Shift Car, so you can learn that way if you don't have access to the Slingshot. Good Luck! Here is a playlist to all four parts of driving lessons. Learning to Drive the Polaris Slingshot - YouTube

·
Registered
179 Posts
@Samowens44
Husband has been trying to teach me how to drive manual stickshift... after some white knuckling, all i have managed to learn is basics.. it seems highly complicated. I am afraid to grind the gears, tear up the transmission, and HILLS. Never know what gear to slow down to, if someones turning in front of me, and what gear to start back off in.. i have to look at the stick to see where exactly i am, as 1st and 3rd are so close, i am asking my husband "what gear am i in! ?"
To add to insult, he installed a short shifter, and now im terrified to try and drive because i already had problems finding the close gears to begin with... sure would be nice to know the what NOT to dos, concerning the transmission and damaging the engine in general... we watch your videos and enjoy all of them.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Samowens44
Husband has been trying to teach me how to drive manual stickshift... after some white knuckling, all i have managed to learn is basics.. it seems highly complicated. I am afraid to grind the gears, tear up the transmission, and HILLS. Never know what gear to slow down to, if someones turning in front of me, and what gear to start back off in.. i have to look at the stick to see where exactly i am, as 1st and 3rd are so close, i am asking my husband "what gear am i in! ?"
To add to insult, he installed a short shifter, and now im terrified to try and drive because i already had problems finding the close gears to begin with... sure would be nice to know the what NOT to dos, concerning the transmission and damaging the engine in general... we watch your videos and enjoy all of them.
@GuardianAngel Well Angel, I know what your are going thru. First, your point on what gear am in in is a key issue. You learn that by the sound of the engine, tachometer and how the acceleration is going. You should learn this well. I suggest, you sit down in the drivers seat, engine off, and just run through the gears. You always start out in 1st. Now practice operating the clutch for a start. Just go through the motions of driving using the clutch and count 3 seconds between shifts to get the feel of actually driving. Now when you get to 5th gear and you are slowing down, you will need to down shift. You need to be in the next lower gear. 4th. As you slow down more, you will need to down shift again. to 3rd. Now you should be synchronizing the clutch action with your shifts. You should avoid going from 5th to say 3rd, that is too much gear change. Your tachometer is used to show you when to shift. As you get used to it , you glance at it and see how many RPM you are at. This is something you should learn to see what RPM do you read when going a certain speed. Write it down and memorize it for your driving experience. This will help you know when to shift. Remember, the sound of the engine also give you clues. Also if you are chugging, you are in to high of a gear. I may make a video of this description for you soon.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Samowens44
@GuardianAngel I want you so bad to learn how to be confident in driving the Slingshot. I made video to start a series that will take you through the basics of learning how to drive the Slingshot. We start with this video of how to manage the gear shift and find the proper gears while looking at the road and driving. You can do this sitting in your driveway. Take a look and soon I will have the next part, Driving and shifting and watching the tachometer and listening to the engine for the proper shifting sequence. Good Luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
@ Sam, Thank you for the assistance! Using the neutral position as a guide and reference point makes great sense! I usually am close handed around the whole shift knob and that may be my problem! I get the "gist of it, and my husband has told me everything you have stated, and to practice shifting in garage... driven around on unpopulated, no interference kind of roads, and that went well. Have yet to face the challenges of shifting up and down for last minute red lights, grandmas stopping on a dime, hills, reversing from a curb on a hill, these things cause anxieties, lol and so the hubs offers me to drive and I turn the opportunity down because Im scared... not really of wrecking because I know, foot on clutch foot on brake will stop it quickly in an emergency or last minute decrease of speed... but without shifting down, unless its completely at a stop, which would be first gear to start, I am unsure of what rolling speed plus what gear to take off again... if that makes sense. I just dont want to grind the clutch, bind up the transmission, round off the forks... what i need is a clunker to practice in....lol id feel a whole lot more confident in my abilities if i didnt have to worry about breaking something. Thank you for the video, i will look for others you upload.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Sam, Thank you for the assistance! Using the neutral position as a guide and reference point makes great sense! I usually am close handed around the whole shift knob and that may be my problem! I get the "gist of it, and my husband has told me everything you have stated, and to practice shifting in garage... driven around on unpopulated, no interference kind of roads, and that went well. Have yet to face the challenges of shifting up and down for last minute red lights, grandmas stopping on a dime, hills, reversing from a curb on a hill, these things cause anxieties, lol and so the hubs offers me to drive and I turn the opportunity down because Im scared... not really of wrecking because I know, foot on clutch foot on brake will stop it quickly in an emergency or last minute decrease of speed... but without shifting down, unless its completely at a stop, which would be first gear to start, I am unsure of what rolling speed plus what gear to take off again... if that makes sense. I just dont want to grind the clutch, bind up the transmission, round off the forks... what i need is a clunker to practice in....lol id feel a whole lot more confident in my abilities if i didnt have to worry about breaking something. Thank you for the video, i will look for others you upload.
@GuardianAngel Thanks for your response. I did get another lady to comment that the neutral position along with the open palm gave here a great help in not missing a gear position. The video I just made for that purpose and I believe now that your problem will be covered in my next video. Coming soon. I feel I will give you some tips that will give you the confidence to go forward with your driver training. Just watch for it soon. My youtube channel is samowen44.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
A related joke. Read on, it's amusing...

50 Shades in Reverse:

He was in ecstasy with a huge smile on his face as his wife moved forward, then backwards, forward, then backwards again...... back and forth... back and forth..... in and out.......

She could feel the sweat on her forehead, between her breasts and trickling down the small of her back. She was getting near to the end. Her heart was pounding..... her face was flushed.....

Then she moaned, softly at first, then began to groan louder.

Finally, totally exhausted, she let out an almighty scream and shouted,

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

"Okay, okay!!! So, I can't park the car!!! You do it, you smug [email protected]!!!"

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@GuardianAngel I want you so bad to learn how to be confident in driving the Slingshot. I made video to start a series that will take you through the basics of learning how to drive the Slingshot. We start with this video of how to manage the gear shift and find the proper gears while looking at the road and driving. You can do this sitting in your driveway. Take a look and soon I will have the next part, Driving and shifting and watching the tachometer and listening to the engine for the proper shifting sequence. Good Luck!

Here is the next lesson in learning to shift the stick shift Slingshot and basic driving skills and shifting techniques.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At work tonight Sam, will definitely view this video in morning! Thanks so much!
Your frustration with not wanting to strip gears and not knowing what gear, inspired me to want to help you. You want to learn and you can, just watch and apply. Let me know how it goes. Good Luck Angel!

·
Registered
179 Posts
@Samowens44 , will you be attending SSITS? hoping to have this mastered by then! Great intructuonal video... as I stated earlier, I think my biggest problem, among other smaller ones...lol, was white knuckling the shifter, and panicking when I couldnt find the next gear without looking...

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Samowens44 , will you be attending SSITS? hoping to have this mastered by then! Great intructuonal video... as I stated earlier, I think my biggest problem, among other smaller ones...lol, was white knuckling the shifter, and panicking when I couldnt find the next gear without looking...
Now you know you can take your time, remember the clutch is you great friend and will never let you down. When you get confused and don't know what to do, push in the clutch, use your brake as needed and think, also slap the gear shift to neutral and know your speed, you will then know what to do. as the conditions states. Yes, we are going and will be at Smokemont Campground in the Smoky's Hope to see you driving up there and I know I will.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Now you know you can take your time, remember the clutch is you great friend and will never let you down. When you get confused and don't know what to do, push in the clutch, use your brake as needed and think, also slap the gear shift to neutral and know your speed, you will then know what to do. as the conditions states. Yes, we are going and will be at Smokemont Campground in the Smoky's Hope to see you driving up there and I know I will.
Awesome!

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is the next lesson in learning to shift the stick shift Slingshot and basic driving skills and shifting techniques.

Now for the fourth and final part of my Basic Driving Lessons Series. This covers all of the advanced driving techniques used when driving the Polaris Slingshot. I take you out on the highway in traffic and show how to find the proper gear for the speed. I show when and how to downshift when coming to a stop. Starting off on inclines is shown and the way you get going without rolling back. How to handle obstacles in the road and just how to avoid hitting them. This should allow you to see driving a Slingshot and do the same with confidence.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Now this is directed to all the folks out there that have never driven a stick shift manual transmission. For all the guys, girls, wives and friends that have looked at this fabulous ride only to find out it is not automatic, here is a look at what is required to learn to drive. So, show this to that person that would like to learn. It only takes a short time to get the hang of it and you will be cruising like a hot dog. This will work with any Stick Shift Car, so you can learn that way if you don't have access to the Slingshot. Good Luck! Here is a playlist to all four parts of driving lessons. Learning to Drive the Polaris Slingshot - YouTube

Great Videos
Are they one spot on u tube ?
Under your name ?

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great Videos
Are they one spot on u tube ?
Under your name ?
Yes, my youtube channel is youtube.com/samowens44 I have lots of video devoted to the Polaris Slingshot. As an owner, I want to help my fellow owners Bennett from my experience. I hope you will subscribe to my channel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts