Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This baffles me. I had a chance this week to REALLY scrub clean my drive belt. When I was done, the famous SS whine was louder than it usually is. I had it down to close to zero (I replaced my angle drive last winter).

So, just as an experiment, I put a thin coat of dielectric grease on the sides of the belt, and WOW. The whine went away!

I know that Polaris says to put nothing on the belt, but do you know, is it OK to let the dielectric grease on the belt? Will it do any harm to the belt? Shorten the life, deteriorate it, etc?

Dave

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Sounds like you may need to adjust the alignment on the belt so to keep it from rubbing on the sides of the pulley. I don't think that I would grease the belt, but folks apparently have had some luck using a dry lube such as this:

It has also been my experience that a belt that is adjusted too loosely tends to move back and forth across the pulley more during acceleration and deceleration.

Bill

·
Registered
92 Posts
I put the CRC dielectric grease on the sides of my belt 3 or 4 days ago. Finally got a chance to put 50 miles on it today. The high SCREECH is gone. All I hear is the angle drive and tranny.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I put the CRC dielectric grease on the sides of my belt 3 or 4 days ago. Finally got a chance to put 50 miles on it today. The high SCREECH is gone. All I hear is the angle drive and tranny.
Same with mine. I always blamed it on the angle drive but today while riding, as an experiment, I pulled my dip stick and with my finger smeared a tiny bit of oil on outside edge of the belt in a couple of places and the high pitch whine when under load was almost instantly gone. That held for 100 miles on way home. Will try the dialectric grease and if it works will keep some in the SS.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ulflyer: I see in your sig that you rode scooters in the fifties. My first motorized vehicle was a Schwinn with a Whizzer on it. As my father would say, "You have the world by the ass on a downhill pull."

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks for the memories. I had a friend with a Whizzer when I was bout 12yo and boy did I envy him. I later worked all summer, earned $200 and bought a "Doodle Bug" .....1 1/2 HP Briggs scooter. I guess that set the stage for my life long love of scooters. When Suzuki started selling the 400cc scoots in the '90's I started moving back to them from cycles. Went thru about half doz or more over the years till I got too old for 2 wheels and moved to Spyders and then to SS, with a Vanderhall in the mix. LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts