Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my SS I was so excited to drive it, I simply skimmed through the manual. Somebody recently posted a link to the digital manual. I was reading it and knowing I have 600 miles on my odometer noticed the 500 mile first oil change.
Just wanted to give you all a heads up.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
When I first got my SS I was so excited to drive it, I simply skimmed through the manual. Somebody recently posted a link to the digital manual. I was reading it and knowing I have 600 miles on my odometer noticed the 500 mile first oil change.
Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
Does the dealer have to perform the service?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Not sure, when I talked to them it sounded like more than an oil change. Probably 50 point inspection.
I agree. That 500 mile change is meant for checking over the entire SS, belts, nuts, controls, etc, so take it to your dealer, at least for that first change to get a thorough overview.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I agree. That 500 mile change is meant for checking over the entire SS, belts, nuts, controls, etc, so take it to your dealer, at least for that first change to get a thorough overview.
Sounds fair enough. Just hope it's not another $300 pseudo-inspection where disconneced brake lights, loose battery terminals, mal-aligned hood latches, and loose coolant hose clamps are missed.... again.

·
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds fair enough. Just hope it's not another $300 pseudo-inspection where disconneced brake lights, loose battery terminals, mal-aligned hood latches, and loose coolant hose clamps are missed.... again.
I'll let you know the details after. I can say I haven't had any of those issues.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
This will be interesting because the dealer hasn't received theirs yet. I drove 120 miles North to another dealer. I know they will service them but do they know how yet. Guess someone has to be first.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
This will be interesting because the dealer hasn't received theirs yet. I drove 120 miles North to another dealer. I know they will service them but do they know how yet. Guess someone has to be first.
You have to complete the service training to be a SS dealer, so yes, but of course, you don't want to take it to a dealership that is not certified to carry the SS.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Kip,
Whats you charge for the 500m oil change and 50 point check ?
We will see if keep these other dealers in check (without throwing anyone under the bus )

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You have to complete the service training to be a SS dealer, so yes, but of course, you don't want to take it to a dealership that is not certified to carry the SS.
yes there are certified that was my original dealer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I thought it was said that if you keep your receipts for the oil and filter you can change your own oil and be ok with the warrenty. I live 262 miles from the dealer and unless I have a issue I don't want to drive back for a oil change.

·
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought it was said that if you keep your receipts for the oil and filter you can change your own oil and be ok with the warrenty. I live 262 miles from the dealer and unless I have a issue I don't want to drive back for a oil change.
You can do your own and still be covered. I figure I will let the trained guys do my first inspection and oil change.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Kip,
Whats you charge for the 500m oil change and 50 point check ?
We will see if keep these other dealers in check (without throwing anyone under the bus )
Let me check into that. It's not going to be crazy expensive.

Brent, that's the closest SS dealer? Extreme? That's not as far, if you did want to take it there. But yes, you can do your own oil change and NOT void the warranty. Keep your receipt that you bought an SS oil change kit and take a picture of your odometer. I double checked this with our Polaris regional rep recently, so you have been given a green light.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Let me check into that. It's not going to be crazy expensive.

Brent, that's the closest SS dealer? Extreme? That's not as far, if you did want to take it there. But yes, you can do your own oil change and NOT void the warranty. Keep your receipt that you bought an SS oil change kit and take a picture of your odometer. I double checked this with our Polaris regional rep recently, so you have been given a green light.
Kip,
How much is the SS oil change kit?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts